Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to off-roading your R1T or R1S, what all-terrain tires would you get? Pirelli has a few options specifically designed for the R1T and R1S and one of them is the most capable off-road, the Scorpion All Terrain Plus in 275/65R20. Would you get it or consider others?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
310 Posts
I’ll give the stock 20” Pirelli’s a chance and see how they perform. Hopefully they provide a good balance of snow/ice and offroad performance with decent highway efficiency. If they don’t meet my needs for snow/ice and offroad, then I’ll likely switch to Durotracs or KO2’s when the Pirelli’s wear out. I’ve had good experience with both of them as good balance of onroad and offroad performance.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm going to run through the stock rubber and see how I like them. If they're adequate performers off-road, then I'll probably stick with them for the probable efficiency gains on the pavement.

Otherwise, I have always ran BFG A/T KO/KO2 and M/T KM/KM2/KM3 on my other offload-skewed vehicles, and I'll return to those on the Rivian if I don't like the OE tires.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm going to run through the stock rubber and see how I like them. If they're adequate performers off-road, then I'll probably stick with them for the probable efficiency gains on the pavement.

Otherwise, I have always ran BFG A/T KO/KO2 and M/T KM/KM2/KM3 on my other offload-skewed vehicles, and I'll return to those on the Rivian if I don't like the OE tires.
The KO's have been really good to me in the past as well. I've also enjoyed the Falken WildPeak A/T3W

·
Super Moderator
310 Posts
Both Durotracs and KO2’s come in the 275/65R20 size, It’s a fairly common size and TireRack is showing about 40 different tires in that size.

·
Registered
559 Posts
@Wildabeest and @CommodoreAmiga have you guys looked into sizing yet for those potential upgrades? How about wheels? Would you mount them on the stock setup or look for something aftermarket?
Yep, both the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 and Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 are available in the Rivian OE size (275/65R20). The AT even has Severe Snow Service Rating.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...65SR0KO2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...65QR0KM3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I would mount them on OE wheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was not impressed with the Scorpion All Terrain Plus from Pirelli. I bought a set after my KO2 wore out, however after 2 tires had to be replaced for not being fully round and then driving for a week and the truck starting shaking – had them exchanged for Continental TerrainContact AT tires. The KO2 were awesome but for the amount of non-offroading that I did, they were just so loud on the highway. The Continentals have been wonderful.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was not impressed with the Scorpion All Terrain Plus from Pirelli. I bought a set after my KO2 wore out, however after 2 tires had to be replaced for not being fully round and then driving for a week and the truck starting shaking
I am also skeptical and have had the same issues with Pirelli (and their summer tires going out of round). FWIW, I will definitely be fitting the RIT with winter wheels and winter tires. There is no such thing as a good "all season" tire if you drive in snow. Once you have dedicated snows in the NE, you can't go back to real winter driving with all-seasons or off road all-terrain tires - those AT compounds, sipes and profiles need to work in both heat & snow, and they don't do snow well. Will be interested in hearing what others find for a basic winter wheel to accommodate dedicated snows. I have run Blizzaks on 20"s and the Nokian Hakkas. Both are excellent winter driving for cold WX driving in snow/mountains/etc

·
Registered
559 Posts
Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws have been great for me. Heard great things about Toyo Open Country AT III though.
Without a doubt the absolute WORST tires I have ever had the displeasure of paying for.

I learned my lesson about Toyo and Les Schwab, that day. Don't do business with either.

Tires are important. Pay the extra couple bucks and get a quality name brand. And before anyone tries to argue that Toyo is either quality OR name brand, just stop. They're absolute garbage. I'm talking about brands like Michelin when
I say quality and name brand.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Consumer reports has generally good things to say about most Toyo tires. Michelin is only 6 times bigger than Toyo. They do over 3 billion in revenue a year - that's hardly some random brand nobody has heard of.

I don't personally care one way or the other, but just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean a brand is neither quality or 'name'. Your experience is not a representative example of the average experience with Toyo, otherwise they wouldn't be in business. This is generally true for any major company that has survived for 75 years.

Same for Les Schwab - I've had bad and good experiences with them, just like pretty much every other vendor in my life that I visit multiple times.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Consumer reports has generally good things to say about most Toyo tires.
Consumer reports rated Rivian a 2/5 for reliability. How does CR give a reliability rating for a vehicle they have never driven from a company who has never released a vehicle, before?

And you want to trust their ratings? Good luck with that.

Your experience is not a representative example of the average experience with Toyo, otherwise they wouldn't be in business.
If you like Toyo, then that's your call. I think they're garbage. I know plenty of people who agree with me. It's been MY experience -- not making any slams against you, personally -- that the people I know IRL who don't mind Toyo also tend to always choose the "cheap" option. I prefer Wera screwdrivers, for example, and my brother-in-law chooses Harbor Freight. He's not "wrong" for choosing HF -- they meet his requirements for quality and price. But let's not confuse that with being "quality".

As for "not being in business" that is a hogwash argument and a demonstrably false statement. Plenty of companies produce products and provide services that are low-quality and they stay in business. There are niches to fill, of course. I simply think that putting crappy tires on a $75k+ vehicle is stupid.

Same for Les Schwab - I've had bad and good experiences with them, just like pretty much every other vendor in my life that I visit multiple times.
I had one positive experience and several negative. I stopped even going to them for quotes. Again, when you don't carry Michelin and instead try to push other brands that I've never heard of (Toyo is the "best" they carry which is saying enough, but they'll also try to push real-no-name brands like "Wild Country") and why the heck do they think giving you questionable raw beef is what I would want from a tire shop? "Hey billy-bob boy-o, come on down to 'ya les schwaaaaaaaaab and get some cheap rubber on 'yer FERD and some cheap "beef" for yer gut." WTF. NO THANK YOU.

·
Super Moderator
310 Posts
Let’s keep it on the rails folks! Toning down the hyperbole would be a good start.

Reactions: thrill

·
Registered
153 Posts

It clearly indicates it has not been tested. No idea what you looked at.

I've never purchased a Toyo tire, so was not speaking from experience. Just making a point - businesses stay in business for a reason. Toyo aren't the cheapest tires around, so if the quality is so horrible, I doubt they'd have stayed in business. That indicates to me that your experience is unusual.

Same thing applies to Les Schwab - there are other options, so while they may not have been what you were looking for (or me in a few cases), they seem to serve fine for others.

@Wildabeest - What is it you feel needs moderation here? Where's the hyperbole? There's nothing hyperbolic about what I said.

·
Super Moderator
310 Posts
@Wildabeest - What is it you feel needs moderation here? Where's the hyperbole? There's nothing hyperbolic about what I said.
The discussion just seemed to be headed down a path that assumed there is a “right” answer when there isn’t one. Thankfully, that doesn’t seem to occur much on this forum compared to other forums I’m on, and I just want to keep it that way. Gentle nudges is my preferred way of keeping things on track vs. waiting until a thread completely goes off the rails and then having to shut it down.

Carry on folks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Got this from Rivian today
Cool information
Pirelli’s 275/65R20 off-road tire, the Scorpion All Terrain Plus, was also specifically developed for the R1T and R1S with electric adventure in mind. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is Pirelli's On-/Off- Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for drivers of pickup trucks, crossovers, and SUVs who want a balanced blend of on-road civility with off-road capability. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is designed with a focus on optimizing durability, traction, and wear resistance, in addition to providing snow traction: it gained indeed the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is molded into a symmetric, high-void pattern. This pattern is designed to provide smooth and quiet on-road operation along with aggressive looks and confident off-road traction. Deep grooves and independent tread blocks help provide the clawing action needed to find grip in loose terrain, and conical stone ejectors resist punctures by forcing small rocks from the tread.

In this case, the challenge to create a dedicated version of these tires for Rivian has been to match their low rolling resistance targets with the off-road applications of the Scorpion All Terrain. To achieve this result, Pirelli’s engineers designed a dedicated mold in order to reduce the weight of the tire, adding then a special compound for light trucks that made the tires more resistant to cuts and lacerations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts