Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I am very excited as all of us are but as a 2019 January reservation holder I don't see anyone talking about the fact that no "real" customers have received delivery of a vehicle...only Employee Preorders as of yet, which seems a little less honest that delivering the first EV truck to consumers. Now I am reading that Bozo Bezos is holding Rivian hostage for his vans so the question I haven't been able to get yet is when are they REALLY going to start delivering trucks to actual customers......It is not starting to feel like we aren't going to see trucks for Launch customers until mid 2022.

·
Registered
18 Posts
'Bezos is holding Rivian hostage for his vans' is not a fair characterization. Rivian does not owe any of us a truck this year....yet certainly does owe Amazon 400 Vans this year.

Rivian is in a really impossible position. Lots of delays, some because of pandemic, have them up against the wall on their contract obligations for Prime Vans....400 need to be delivered before end of this year per contract if I recall. So it is totally predictable that Rivian would need to prioritize production for that contract obligation, which could be worth at least 4 BILLION over the life of the contract. Meanwhile Rivian does not have any particular contract date with anybody here. Doing the math on production speed, and figuring those Van contract obligations into the mix, I don't expect my truck with max pack battery for at least another year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then why are they lying about delivery dates and not just give us real dates....the current deliveries are not actual deliveries....I love the truck but I don't like the dishonesty and total lack of communication. If I were you I would prepare for a few years on yours....

·
Registered
2 Posts
My guess is they really do not want a lot of people to have the truck before the company’s IPO. They would rather have people they can fire delivered to first 😂. Every new vehicle has some quirks and bugs and I think they don’t want them found before the big day. I want my truck though 😢

·
Registered
67 Posts
Could it simply be that Rivian is building and delivering R1s to their employee customers?

It is only 10/13/21! Also, delays in the early production phase are normal and to be expected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All I am very excited as all of us are but as a 2019 January reservation holder I don't see anyone talking about the fact that no "real" customers have received delivery of a vehicle...only Employee Preorders as of yet, which seems a little less honest that delivering the first EV truck to consumers. Now I am reading that Bozo Bezos is holding Rivian hostage for his vans so the question I haven't been able to get yet is when are they REALLY going to start delivering trucks to actual customers......It is not starting to feel like we aren't going to see trucks for Launch customers until mid 2022.
I don't believe that to be the case, so I contacted Rivian yesterday. I was told definitively that the Amazon vehicles are on a separate production and delivery track which will not supplant the R1T/S production schedule. The Amazon contract has specific deliverables which Rivian is on schedule to meet. Rivian is currently adding an additional 1500 employees to ramp up the production/delivery of the vans and T/S. Bezos is a huge investor in Rivian and is banking on their success; in producing his vans as well as the R1T/S. I think we all need to just be patient!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am old, survived several heart attacks and have a stent in a 100% blocked artery. Dead man walking so to speak. At times I urgently want to sit my ass down in my R1T and drive it around before they shovel dirt over me. In a panic I start trying to do something to speed up the delivery.

Then it hits right between the eyes…. There ain’t nothing I can do about it. My R1T will be ready when it is ready!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am old, survived several heart attacks and have a stent in a 100% blocked artery. Dead man walking so to speak. At times I urgently want to sit my ass down in my R1T and drive it around before they shovel dirt over me. In a panic I start trying to do something to speed up the delivery.

Then it hits right between the eyes…. There ain’t nothing I can do about it. My R1T will be ready when it is ready!
It is only a matter of time until R1Ts show up for rent on turo.com. If you don't have an early R1T reservation that might be your best bet for driviing an R1T before you kick the bucket.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't believe that to be the case, so I contacted Rivian yesterday. I was told definitively that the Amazon vehicles are on a separate production and delivery track which will not supplant the R1T/S production schedule. The Amazon contract has specific deliverables which Rivian is on schedule to meet. Rivian is currently adding an additional 1500 employees to ramp up the production/delivery of the vans and T/S. Bezos is a huge investor in Rivian and is banking on their success; in producing his vans as well as the R1T/S. I think we all need to just be patient!
I wrote most of this another post, but it's also relevant here. The Amazon contract represents the opportunity for a somewhat firm100k vehicles. Rivian is (excuse the pun), in the driver's seat with respect to Amazon. They are the first company that will supply Amazon with EVs, and have it within their power not only to have a very solid, 10 year revenue stream from that, but to also cement themselves as the delivery truck supplier of choice. All they need to do (he said somewhat sarcastically) is to to deliver a quality vehicle on time and on budget. No other EV maker is presently in this position.

As the economists say, we live in a world of scarce resources. While it may be possible for Rivian to do things simultaneously (i. e., produce & delver both the delivery truck and the R1T/S - and in the case of the R1S Max, finish the design), I think it's unlikely that a start-up can do all of that. When push comes to shove, as I believe it surely will, and likely sooner rather than later, I think that Rivian will concentrate their not unlimited resources on the Amazon contract.

Rivian needs to deliver 10,000 Amazon trucks in 2022, which means that they need to move from low-rate initial production (the current state) to full production in a short time. With the revenue from 100,000 sales - at a minimum - on the line, for Rivian to focus on Amazon seems more than reasonable, in my view. That there is a separate production line is good, but may not really be all that relevant. If (perhaps more likely given the newness of both the company and the products, when) there is an issue with the Amazon line that negatively impacts production and/or deliveries, the response is almost certainly going to be throwing resources, including personnel, at the problem.

This doesn't mean that Rivian will completely neglect the consumer vehicle side of the house. But what it does mean (possibly? probably?) is that the R1T and S ramp up will be be slowed. That may cause some of the 48,000 pre-order holders to jump ship, but there are really no direct competitors, at least not at the moment. I don't think that many R1T buyers are likely to migrate to the Tesla CT or even the F-150 Lightning; and I think it's even less likely for R1S buyers to jump to the GM Hummer. If I'm right about a slower ramp-up to R1T/S production (what I believe will be the case to some extent, even absent issues on the Amazon contract), Rivian won't really suffer much from lost sales, or even in branding, assuming they deliver at least a few thousand pick-ups and SUVs in 2022.

My conclusion is that Rivian has more at stake with the Amazon contract and will likely prioritize it at the expense of production of the R1T & S, for the reasons outlined above.This is merely opinion however, and rooted in 30 years of experience in aerospace manufacturing that may or may not be relevant to the automotive world. As someone who put a pre-order in only 18 months ago, I don't really expect the R1S Max that I want to be in my driveway before the end of 2023 and perhaps not until 2024. I'm betting that it will be worth the wait however.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is only a matter of time until R1Ts show up for rent on turo.com. If you don't have an early R1T reservation that might be your best bet for driviing an R1T before you kick the bucket.
I am a late pre order (3/20/21). I don’t think driving a rental will satisfy.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Then why are they lying about delivery dates and not just give us real dates....the current deliveries are not actual deliveries....I love the truck but I don't like the dishonesty and total lack of communication. If I were you I would prepare for a few years on yours....
My guess is they really do not want a lot of people to have the truck before the company’s IPO. They would rather have people they can fire delivered to first 😂. Every new vehicle has some quirks and bugs and I think they don’t want them found before the big day. I want my truck though 😢
Welcome to the forum @cvaninger & @Chapstick4

While this sucks, it is a lot of solid foundation building that could have major upside potential that ends up benefiting us (i.e. massive liquidity = more R&D)
Viewed from that angle would you guys least be somewhat okay with what's going on?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't think that Rivian is truly lying, rather they're being overly optimistic with their information to customers, aka, cranking up the sunshine machine. I don't think they actually have firm dates, just ranges, and they've choosen to use the "best case scenario" when communicating with customers. I wish they were more candid, but understand why they are not; after all, Tesla has always run their sunshine machine at "11" and continues to get rewarded with more sales and higher stock prices.

I've written in other posts that I think Rivian is only at the low-rate initial production stage, with both the Amazon truck and the pickup. Getting to full rate production is extremely difficult for experienced companies; it's much harder for a start up and an order of magnitude more difficult when you mix in an IPO. And as @Chapstick4 points out, they don't want to mess up their IPO if the first vehicles reaching consumers are plaqued with defects or perform poorly. Another complicating factor is the Amazon contract, which I think Rivian has no choice but to prioritize ahead, and likely at the expense of, their consumer vehicles.

This doesn't mean Rivian won't deliver the R1T and R1S; they likely will, but almost certainly in low numbers for quite some time. My guess is that most who want the R1T Long Range will need to wait until late 2022, or even 2023. I'd bet that the wait for the Max R1T is likely to extend to 2023. For those who want the R1S LR, I think that mid-2023 is likely.. And for those who, like me, want the R1S Max, the wait will be a longer still because the engineering for this variant is not yet complete. I suspect that I won't have an R1S Max in my driveway until sometime late in 2024.

Bottom line is that Rivian buyers not named Amazon will need to be patient. The benefit to the wait is a higher likelihood of getting a relatively defect-free car and of having access to a much more robust charging network.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unless you have a Launch Edition reservation, Rivian has said repeatedly that non Launch Editions will start 01/22. So nobody is getting an non LE Rivian this year.
I would love mine asap, but I'm figuring mid 2022? I also have a day one Ford Lightning reservation, so I'll see which comes first. But with Ford only making 15,000 in 2022 I don't think I will see that before 2023.
So I'm hoping that I get an R1T in mid 2022 and cancel my Ford reservation. If I do get the Ford before Rivian calls, that will be a bad sign for Rivian.
I think, hope, they start cranking out R1T in early 2022 at a brisker pace. But right now nobody is making many, if any, EV trucks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wonder when the battery shortage will hit?

Tesla, Ford, Rivian, VW, Audi, Volvo, Chevy, Lucid, GM, China to name a few are all going EV. How will battery manufacturers keep up?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wonder when the battery shortage will hit?

Tesla, Ford, Rivian, VW, Audi, Volvo, Chevy, Lucid, GM, China to name a few are all going EV. How will battery manufacturers keep up?
Tesla is manufacturing their own batteries, no shortage there. Even if the new 4680 cells were available (which just this week Tesla has stated is at production manufacturing QC) today.. the CT factory is still being built. The will have plenty of 4680 cells available by the time Giga Texas is ready to start building the CT.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tesla is manufacturing their own batteries, no shortage there. Even if the new 4680 cells were available (which just this week Tesla has stated is at production manufacturing QC) today.. the CT factory is still being built. The will have plenty of 4680 cells available by the time Giga Texas is ready to start building the CT.
That covers Tesla but what about all the other EV manufacturers world wide?

·
Registered
84 Posts
My view, they already have Amazon's money. Amazon isn't going anywhere. They aren't going to bail on their billions of dollars invested already. However, most customers buy vehicles because they need transportation. Forcing people to wait another year or more is certainly going to lose them some customers. Many have leases to plan around or other reasons for needing their vehicle sooner than 2 years from now. They should focus on not losing the customers they already have deposits from. It's an absolute certainty that if actual deliveries are delayed by another year, many customers will be left with no choice but to bail. Sadly, me being one of them. I need a vehicle. Can't wait forever. I really want the Rivian, by far, my first choice. But, it's not a choice available until its available. If my deadline for needing a vehicle comes and there are two other options available, I'll be forced to go with what IS available. Maybe I'll reconsider a Rivian on the next three year cycle. However, by then, being that it was designed several years ago, it won't be the fresh new exciting thing anymore and there will probably be other shiny new options. I've stuck with Tesla because they got me in the door and I remained loyal for 8-9 years since. Rivian is still keeping me outside. Can't be loyal if I'm not a customer. Get trucks in the driveways of customers to build that following and instill confidence in consumers. As of now, just been delay after delay, for whatever the reason may be. Holding out hope still, but with each passing day, the odds are declining.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts