Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I'm definitely on the impatient side when it comes to wishing my R1T onto my doorstep, like most. But I believe the economics of Amazon and Rivian's IPO are the only thing that's going to push deliveries along at a brisker pace. Rivian needs all the funds it can get to hire and sustain employees. And don't forget, a company with the financial horsepower on par with GM and Ford will have more sway with third-party suppliers to prioritize their shipments over other EV manufactures. I don't see Lightnings or CTs hitting the market any faster given their slow ramp-up. As an optimist, I believe all the current 48K Rivian pre-order holders will have their trucks in hand just as other EV trucks are hitting their pre-order stride. What could hurt is if Ford or Tesla decide to gamble on their manufacturing experience and lock people into their final, financed orders far in advance of delivery dates. Like order your CT now and we'll guarantee it will go to manufacturing in Summer of 2022 for Q4 delivery. If you decline, you go to the back of the line. I don't see Rivian taking that chance during this window of consumer trust building. Unfortunately, I think we're going to have to figure out delivery capacity as a community rather than relying on Rivian for answers. If we know 20 people received new vehicles on a given day, then 20 on the next and so forth, then we can roughly extrapolate 600/month. It's not perfect, but it may be all we have to soothe our "new toy fever", something akin to Ralphie's single-minded quest for that Red Ryder BB Gun! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wrote most of this another post, but it's also relevant here. The Amazon contract represents the opportunity for a somewhat firm100k vehicles. Rivian is (excuse the pun), in the driver's seat with respect to Amazon. They are the first company that will supply Amazon with EVs, and have it within their power not only to have a very solid, 10 year revenue stream from that, but to also cement themselves as the delivery truck supplier of choice. All they need to do (he said somewhat sarcastically) is to to deliver a quality vehicle on time and on budget. No other EV maker is presently in this position.

As the economists say, we live in a world of scarce resources. While it may be possible for Rivian to do things simultaneously (i. e., produce & delver both the delivery truck and the R1T/S - and in the case of the R1S Max, finish the design), I think it's unlikely that a start-up can do all of that. When push comes to shove, as I believe it surely will, and likely sooner rather than later, I think that Rivian will concentrate their not unlimited resources on the Amazon contract.

Rivian needs to deliver 10,000 Amazon trucks in 2022, which means that they need to move from low-rate initial production (the current state) to full production in a short time. With the revenue from 100,000 sales - at a minimum - on the line, for Rivian to focus on Amazon seems more than reasonable, in my view. That there is a separate production line is good, but may not really be all that relevant. If (perhaps more likely given the newness of both the company and the products, when) there is an issue with the Amazon line that negatively impacts production and/or deliveries, the response is almost certainly going to be throwing resources, including personnel, at the problem.

This doesn't mean that Rivian will completely neglect the consumer vehicle side of the house. But what it does mean (possibly? probably?) is that the R1T and S ramp up will be be slowed. That may cause some of the 48,000 pre-order holders to jump ship, but there are really no direct competitors, at least not at the moment. I don't think that many R1T buyers are likely to migrate to the Tesla CT or even the F-150 Lightning; and I think it's even less likely for R1S buyers to jump to the GM Hummer. If I'm right about a slower ramp-up to R1T/S production (what I believe will be the case to some extent, even absent issues on the Amazon contract), Rivian won't really suffer much from lost sales, or even in branding, assuming they deliver at least a few thousand pick-ups and SUVs in 2022.

My conclusion is that Rivian has more at stake with the Amazon contract and will likely prioritize it at the expense of production of the R1T & S, for the reasons outlined above.This is merely opinion however, and rooted in 30 years of experience in aerospace manufacturing that may or may not be relevant to the automotive world. As someone who put a pre-order in only 18 months ago, I don't really expect the R1S Max that I want to be in my driveway before the end of 2023 and perhaps not until 2024. I'm betting that it will be worth the wait however.
Couldn't agree more, basic business sense.

I drive a 2005 Subaru forester that is, in many aspects,falling apart (one of the mirrors is glued to the car :cool:).
The wait sucks especially with the EV federal gov tax rebate now on the chopping block for my R1S.

If I were Rivian, I would priorities the Amazon delivery trucks if I had to make a choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All I am very excited as all of us are but as a 2019 January reservation holder I don't see anyone talking about the fact that no "real" customers have received delivery of a vehicle...only Employee Preorders as of yet, which seems a little less honest that delivering the first EV truck to consumers. Now I am reading that Bozo Bezos is holding Rivian hostage for his vans so the question I haven't been able to get yet is when are they REALLY going to start delivering trucks to actual customers......It is not starting to feel like we aren't going to see trucks for Launch customers until mid 2022.
I will definitely not wait until mid 2022!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wasn’t smart enough to order the Launch Edition. I know I won’t get mine till mid 2022. Maybe later?
I’d love sooner, especially as my 2019 Bolt has a recall for the battery, but it will happen or it won’t.

since I really want an electric truck, I either wait for the Rivian or I wait for the Lightning. No options in 2021. Not many options in 2022 either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Then why are they lying about delivery dates and not just give us real dates....the current deliveries are not actual deliveries....I love the truck but I don't like the dishonesty and total lack of communication. If I were you I would prepare for a few years on yours....
Lying? Perhaps just optimistic, which is required to be an entrepreneur building something from nothing. I make thousands of car parts, this last two years in particular have been VERY challenging, like nothing we have seen in our lifetimes. Raw materials and supplies are hard to get, costs on everything have fluctuated like we have never seen, and yet we push on and eventually get the parts made. Though lots of items are not meeting original ETA, perhaps even most items are not getting made to original eta currently, that's not for lack of trying and it doesn't mean that any of the factories we are dealing with daily are lying or dishonest.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wrote most of this another post, but it's also relevant here. The Amazon contract represents the opportunity for a somewhat firm100k vehicles. Rivian is (excuse the pun), in the driver's seat with respect to Amazon. They are the first company that will supply Amazon with EVs, and have it within their power not only to have a very solid, 10 year revenue stream from that, but to also cement themselves as the delivery truck supplier of choice. All they need to do (he said somewhat sarcastically) is to to deliver a quality vehicle on time and on budget. No other EV maker is presently in this position.

As the economists say, we live in a world of scarce resources. While it may be possible for Rivian to do things simultaneously (i. e., produce & delver both the delivery truck and the R1T/S - and in the case of the R1S Max, finish the design), I think it's unlikely that a start-up can do all of that. When push comes to shove, as I believe it surely will, and likely sooner rather than later, I think that Rivian will concentrate their not unlimited resources on the Amazon contract.

Rivian needs to deliver 10,000 Amazon trucks in 2022, which means that they need to move from low-rate initial production (the current state) to full production in a short time. With the revenue from 100,000 sales - at a minimum - on the line, for Rivian to focus on Amazon seems more than reasonable, in my view. That there is a separate production line is good, but may not really be all that relevant. If (perhaps more likely given the newness of both the company and the products, when) there is an issue with the Amazon line that negatively impacts production and/or deliveries, the response is almost certainly going to be throwing resources, including personnel, at the problem.

This doesn't mean that Rivian will completely neglect the consumer vehicle side of the house. But what it does mean (possibly? probably?) is that the R1T and S ramp up will be be slowed. That may cause some of the 48,000 pre-order holders to jump ship, but there are really no direct competitors, at least not at the moment. I don't think that many R1T buyers are likely to migrate to the Tesla CT or even the F-150 Lightning; and I think it's even less likely for R1S buyers to jump to the GM Hummer. If I'm right about a slower ramp-up to R1T/S production (what I believe will be the case to some extent, even absent issues on the Amazon contract), Rivian won't really suffer much from lost sales, or even in branding, assuming they deliver at least a few thousand pick-ups and SUVs in 2022.

My conclusion is that Rivian has more at stake with the Amazon contract and will likely prioritize it at the expense of production of the R1T & S, for the reasons outlined above.This is merely opinion however, and rooted in 30 years of experience in aerospace manufacturing that may or may not be relevant to the automotive world. As someone who put a pre-order in only 18 months ago, I don't really expect the R1S Max that I want to be in my driveway before the end of 2023 and perhaps not until 2024. I'm betting that it will be worth the wait however.
As a R1S 3 year pre-order holder, have no interest in that oversize thing called the Hummer, it will not fit my life style, for sure. But in case Rivian went belly up, I made a deposit on a Ford F150 Lightning a few months back. Will just have to find a topper to fit over the bed to "suv" the pick-up. Ford will start taking hard orders in just a few weeks for delivery in 2022. Tired of the wait.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Eh, I’m not trying to be a Rivian apologist, but I do know that all new tech tends to take longer than expected. You would think Ford or Chevy could throw out an EV truck super fast, but that hasn’t happened. Only 15,000 lightning trucks planned for 2022 is a tiny amount. I’m sure 2023 will be tons more, but again, new tech is hard and slow.

that said, I would love Rivian to be releasing more data at more frequent intervals. I did chat quickly today and asked for Limestone on a real truck and info on ramp up and was told trucks are rolling out everyday. A vague answer, but I didn’t think they would tell me exact numbers ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have chatted with Rivian CS multiple times this month and in each chat was told how “exciting it was to see trucks rolling off the line”. I cannot imagine Rivian employees have been instructed to lie.

Assuming they are not lying then LEs are being produced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
9/19 R1S pre-order here. My ‘07 MDX 206K gave up the ghost this week. I emailed Rivian CS for some clarity. They said guide contact by Thanksgiving and delivery by Spring of ‘22. Spring ends in June. So delivery 8 mos. away? I need something to get me through snowy roads till spring. Options: ’05 Lotus Elise….uh, no. Putting winter tires on the wife’s all wheel drive Porsche C4S? If I stuff it, she will kill me. ‘93 MR2 Turbo which was my first new car. I have winter tires for this cuz my son used it at Virginia Tech 4 years ago. Mid engine, rear wheel drive goes OK in the snow.

I know, quality problems. Rivian has no obligation to me. But I am tired of having my ass sunburned from all of the Rivian thermonuclear radiation. I don’t believe they cannot be more specific. They may lose this customer, and I think that loosing me is in their equation because they have a bunch more waiting in line behind me. I just don’t want the vehicle. I NEED a vehicle. I work in occupational health and I don’t need to get to the ER anymore in a blizzard. But my wife is a cardiologist and we relied upon that MDX with winter tires to get her where she needed to go. Maybe the Hummer will be here first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m planning to get a super old Subaru to get me through winter and spring. Either through Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts