Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, came across this article today about a new set of patents Rivian filled in January...but just went public a couple of days ago (4/28/22)

Just a couple of weeks ago when at Home Depot, saw a Ram 1500 with towers on the back thinking to myself, well, that would solve the shorter box problem!

Preorder holder (juuust under the wire on February 26th) -- Count me in for each and every one of the accessories shown in the patent application!

Not expecting delivery before 2024, so hoping some of these accessories make it into production in the next two years...especially the tower, hammock and potentially powered crossbars (roof mounted, detachable lightbar anyone?!?)

Patent

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
First post here, came across this article today about a new set of patents Rivian filled in January...but just went public a couple of days ago (4/28/22)

Just a couple of weeks ago when at Home Depot, saw a Ram 1500 with towers on the back thinking to myself, well, that would solve the shorter box problem!

Preorder holder (juuust under the wire on February 26th) -- Count me in for each and every one of the accessories shown in the patent application!

Not expecting delivery before 2024, so hoping some of these accessories make it into production in the next two years...especially the tower, hammock and potentially powered crossbars (roof mounted, detachable lightbar anyone?!?)

Patent
Welcome to the forum @Smytherines! Tehre's a lot of interesting stuff from these patent images. I really like the mounting spots in the first image. The hammock is a fun idea but I don't know how i'd feel about it hanging off the side of the truck like that.

Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Automotive design Motor vehicle Font
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram
Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle
Slope Line Rectangle Font Parallel
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
402 Posts
German cars have had mounting points like the for well over 20 years. This is basically just putting on more of them with what could be an improved design. The 2003 MB e class my kids drive has very similar ones, as did my 996 turbo. The hammock is cool. Still scares me to put much gear on crossbars above the glass roof. I haul a ton of different things on the roof rack of my current rig: skis, canoes, set nets, dip nets, mud boats, fuel, RTT, firewood, gear boxes, bikes, wood,…. After 9 years My paint up there looks like Swiss cheese, dings happen and they happen often.

Another hope is that these allow for outside mount wider crossbars. On a truck I wouldn’t want anything narrower then 66”.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts