Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thread for discussing all things related to using the Rivian for surfing! I know a few of you surf like I do. Sure wish the wrist strap key was available in the Rivian store, right now I am locking key in combo stainless lock box in the bed. Those of you with launch edition that includes the wrist key, is that working well for you with surfing?

Wow, the bed is so much shorter than my last several trucks! That's my Rivian today with 7'6 foot board. I didn't want to bother getting the optional Rivian racks because I don't like having to tie down the board, I want to put the board in and go. But the bed is a bit short so this is what I am doing with the 7 foot boards and my 8 foot board goes 'corner to corner' from front passenger side of bed to driver rear of bed with a bungee cord to hold the bag in place. I find it a challenge to lift the tailgate back up when wet, my other trucks have had a plastic lip spoiler at the top of the tailgate and worked well as a handle. The Rivian doesn't have it and I end up grabbing the paint and scratches are going to be an issue fast unless I get some PPF on that painted surface below the top plastic of the tailgate.

I find the gear tunnel doesn't work well as step for me to get into the bed while dripping wet in the wetsuit, so I added step/hitch you might be able to just barely see here. Some places I park to surf we have a guard rail inches from passenger side, preventing me from dropping gear tunnel on that side, and road is pretty close on driver side such that gear tunnel door is a hazard if dropped on either side. I want to step from the back into the bed like I have always done to change back to street clothes and only the Rivian lacks a rear step, every other truck in the world has a rear step molded into the bumper design, on the bumper, often both, etc. Clearly this is Rivian's first truck effort and I am surprised such a basic item was overlooked. Before anyone says gear tunnel again, many modern trucks have step in that area AND step options at the rear because you want to be able to access what is in the bed from all directions, without dropping the tailgate or having to open any doors. This is really basic truck 101 stuff.

For comparison, my neighbor is a Contractor, look at all the step options! That's a truck actually designed for bed access for both work and play. I bet an update of this truck down the line includes some step options molded into the rear bumper area, it would be easy to do. I added the red arrows to make it more obvious. It is crazy that there are no steps to access the bed of the Rivian unless you first unlock it and then drop a gear tunnel door. When hands are full and wet that's the last thing I want to do.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice, I'll probably have some questions prior to my delivery (hopefully should be in the next few weeks) and also help provide suggestions once I have mine.

I don't know if you saw my question on the other thread you had, but is it possible to use the key card? That's what I do in my Tesla currently - turn off bluetooth on phone and lock the car with the key card and put it into my wetsuit. I've done this for 4 years now and haven't had an issue yet. I guess with Rivian, you'd need to remember to leave the fob at home and solely use the phone/key card?

As long as I can easily unlock the truck with the key card, I plan to then lower the tailgate and sit on it. When I drive my current pickup, I keep a plastic bin in the bed and have a jug of water. I get to the truck after surfing, flip the tailgate down, pull out the bin and place it on the ground. Then I rinse off my feet and step into the bin with clean feet. Now I can sit on the tail gate and get changed. I assume this type of usage will work just fine in the Rivian. Thoughts?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, I'll probably have some questions prior to my delivery (hopefully should be in the next few weeks) and also help provide suggestions once I have mine.

I don't know if you saw my question on the other thread you had, but is it possible to use the key card? That's what I do in my Tesla currently - turn off bluetooth on phone and lock the car with the key card and put it into my wetsuit. I've done this for 4 years now and haven't had an issue yet. I guess with Rivian, you'd need to remember to leave the fob at home and solely use the phone/key card?

As long as I can easily unlock the truck with the key card, I plan to then lower the tailgate and sit on it. When I drive my current pickup, I keep a plastic bin in the bed and have a jug of water. I get to the truck after surfing, flip the tailgate down, pull out the bin and place it on the ground. Then I rinse off my feet and step into the bin with clean feet. Now I can sit on the tail gate and get changed. I assume this type of usage will work just fine in the Rivian. Thoughts?
None of my wetsuits have a pocket big enough for the key card. Even my most heavy winter suit has just a very small key pocket for a real old fashioned non-electric key and I tried to stuff the key card into it and no chance, not near wide enough. This time of year we are down to spring suits and the 'farmer john' style I wore today didn't have any key pocket.

Sounds like you are a lot more organized than I am in the morning. I have friends that do similar to your procedure, that pack the jug of rinse water and plastic grass mat they drop on the ground, etc. Most of the places we surf have a shower I can walk up to and rinse on the way to the truck such that I don't have need to pack a jug of rinse water, etc.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
Very few have actually gotten the wrist band at this point. I was told probably late this year when they delivered back in May. As for the rear step tailgate, Rivian has a design they had in patent but I assume that is going to be for an R2 series or later.

·
Registered
171 Posts
None of my wetsuits have a pocket big enough for the key card. Even my most heavy winter suit has just a very small key pocket for a real old fashioned non-electric key and I tried to stuff the key card into it and no chance, not near wide enough. This time of year we are down to spring suits and the 'farmer john' style I wore today didn't have any key pocket.

Sounds like you are a lot more organized than I am in the morning. I have friends that do similar to your procedure, that pack the jug of rinse water and plastic grass mat they drop on the ground, etc. Most of the places we surf have a shower I can walk up to and rinse on the way to the truck such that I don't have need to pack a jug of rinse water, etc.
Ah, yeah, I never put it in a pocket. I slide it into the arm portion of my wetsuit. And even in summer, since I surf at dawn, I tend to still wear a jacket in the water and can still slide my key card into the upper arm and it stays there. So at least for my use-case, it sounds like I should be able to continue doing this even in the Rivian.

I still do rinse off most of the time at a shower, but I HATE tracking sand into the car so once I get there, I make sure to rinse my feet and step into my container so that after putting on my shoes, I have no sand to track into the car.

I also purchased the cross bars because in my case, I often ride longboards 9ft+ and there's no way I'm going to get away with it sitting in the truck bed like you. I'll have to put them on top. Maybe when I'm riding my mid length I'll be able to do what you did in that pic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I had not really thought of just stuffing the key card between me and the leg of the suit. Hmm, will try it tomorrow. I don't have sleeves on the suit, so in the leg area is the choice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Okay, I had not really thought of just stuffing the key card between me and the leg of the suit. Hmm, will try it tomorrow. I don't have sleeves on the suit, so in the leg area is the choice.
Cool, let me know how it works. I assume you'll have to leave the fob at home, or wrap it in foil so that someone can't come and open the truck? is that what you do now when you put it in a lockbox?And then also of course turning off bluetooth on your phone?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, let me know how it works. I assume you'll have to leave the fob at home, or wrap it in foil so that someone can't come and open the truck? is that what you do now when you put it in a lockbox?And then also of course turning off bluetooth on your phone?
Right now using same thing I have used with my prior trucks, a Wordlock cup. I own two of these, no issues and it works (truck doesn't see the key when it is in the cup).

·
Registered
171 Posts
You know what I'd like to see is some portable shower that either solely can use the 120v outlet or maybe combined 120v for power/heat and air compressor (for pressure). There are times I surf in areas with no shower and this would be so nice...actually, it would always be nice as opposed to a cold shower in the winters.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So I surfed the past two days now in my R1T. First day I took my mid length which is 7’2” and I just had it in the bed with the tail sticking out the tailgate (with tailgate up). Today I surfed with my longboard which is 9’6” and out the board on the crossbars on top of the truck (I had to put a thick blanket on the rear crossbar so the board wouldn’t rest on the antenna). Both worked just fine.

for key, I did what I do with my tesla and put the key card in my wetsuit sleeve and turned off Bluetooth on my phone. Worked great. Now I just need to figure out a good shower setup!

·
Registered
171 Posts
So I surfed the past two days now in my R1T. First day I took my mid length which is 7’2” and I just had it in the bed with the tail sticking out the tailgate (with tailgate up). Today I surfed with my longboard which is 9’6” and out the board on the crossbars on top of the truck (I had to put a thick blanket on the rear crossbar so the board wouldn’t rest on the antenna). Both worked just fine.

for key, I did what I do with my tesla and put the key card in my wetsuit sleeve and turned off Bluetooth on my phone. Worked great. Now I just need to figure out a good shower setup!
this is my inno racks on the crossbars. Since the antenna sticks slightly higher than the crossbars (that was a big miss Rivian!), I ordered some Velcro pads to put on the bars for when mounting the board.

Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire Vehicle

Hood Light Aircraft Vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire Mode of transport

1 - 12 of 12 Posts