Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you thought the R1T has 4 doors you are very wrong. As far as the software is concerned it has 9 doors: 2 entry doors on the driver side, 2 entry doors on the passenger side, 2 on the cargo tunnel, 1 on the hood, 1 on the tail gate, 1 on the power tonneau.

I discovered that yesterday when I found that it was no longer possible to open the hood, the cargo tunnel doors, the tailgate and the tonneau via the physical buttons outside the truck while in PARK with the truck unlocked. It was also no longer possible to open the hood and tailgate via the FOB while in PARK with the truck unlocked.

It turns out there is a setting called LOCKS that I had changed from "Unlock all doors" to "Unlock driver door". I thought that only affected the 4 entry doors everybody is familiar with, but it actually affects all 9 doors the software thinks the truck has. To get my truck back to normal I had to change the setting to "Unlock all doors".

·
Registered
7 Posts
You just saved me a ton of grief and Rivian a lot of money.

Picked up my R1T at the factory on Thursday 6/30. On Sunday 7/3, at a fast charger, I had some admirers and opened up the hood, doors, etc. When I hit the gear tunnel door switches nothing happened. Then I found the tailgate button and tonneau button didn’t work either. I tried using the screen/software buttons, and the key fob, nothing. I stopped charging disconnected, still nothing.
Figured I’d deal with it later, put it in drive, and got a “gear tunnel fault” for both doors and the vehicle wouldn’t let me go more than 13 mph.

I proceeded to do a vehicle reset, and…nothing. Frunk still working the whole time though. Called Service, who had me do a sleep/wake cycle, and then walked us through doing a manual release of the gear tunnel doors through the back seat opening. We got them open,but shutting them again didn’t make the fault go away. So, the truck is parked, waiting for either mobile service or more likely, a tow. My guess is some sort of a BCM failed since none of the switches work at all, and the failure of the BCM to communicate that the tunnel doors are shut caused the safety fault. Rivian was going to tow back to Normal,IL about 145 miles away.

Seeing your post made me wonder if that this logic applied throughout the vehicle's settings. Specifically, I had enabled the "auto re-lock" at some point over the weekend...maybe while it was charging? So, I got in the truck, switched from "Unlock all doors" to "Unlock driver door," and then turned off "auto-relock." I walked away from the truck, locked it using the key fob, and then 5 minutes later returned and unlocked it. All the exterior buttons work again, the buttons on the display as well, and the key fob/app.

Rivian service was absolutely awesome, even on the holiday weekend, with prompt support and offers to help with immediate alternate transportation/etc. Waiting on a call back from the specific tech I worked with to walk him through this "fix" so it can be tested and addressed properly in a future update.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts