Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I'm disappointed that Rivian did not mention the Max in the Q3 earnings call, and in fact was not even asked any questions about it, I'm not surprised. I wonder though if I'm alone in not only coming to terms with the delay in production and delivery of the R1T Max quad-motor, but to now also actually welcoming it?

Since Rivian will deliver the dual-motor Max in 2023 with the new in-house motors, the delay to at least 2024 for the quad seems to indicate that it too will have the new motors. It's unclear if the R1T DM Max will also come with a redesigned battery pack, but it will surely incorporate numerous incremental improvements. Any battery improvements will be incorporated into the R1T QM Max as well. There may well be other changes to improve efficiency incorporated to the dual-motor Max (e. g., heat pump), and it's logical to expect that the quad will also get them.

While we all hope that Rivian can keep to its 2024 delivery estimate, based on its history, a further delay to 2025 is not merely possible, but probably likely. That additional delay would be an annoyance, but from my perspective at least, a relatively minor one. All of us waiting for the R1T quad Max are on notice that we must have interim vehicles that can handle our transportation needs through at least 2024, two years away. If that stretches another year, we should be able to cope with the additional delay fairly easily.

That prolonged delay will also mean that the charging infrastructure will have been built out much more extensively, will be more robust and reliable, and will support much higher charging rates. Heck, the Tesla Supercharging network may even be open to other EVs by then. And last, but certainly not least, we can take quite a bit of comfort in getting state-of-the-art, 2024 (or 2025) vehicles at 2018 pricing.

Of course, this assumes that Rivian actually goes ahead with production of the quad R1T Max.
 

· Registered
R1T, Sept 2021 preorder
Joined
·
24 Posts
I agree with all your points and was in the same camp as you, patiently waiting for the Max. Another benefit of the Max is that when the battery begins to deteriorate over time, there will be more range for longer.

However, Rivian invited us to a First Drive demo in August. After the demo, my wife who never cares about cars, determined that we NEEDED the R1T ASAP. So I changed to Large pack in August and it looks like we will have it by the end of this year.

My justifications for switching to large:
- get it sooner and make the wife happy (this is the only one that really matters)
- $10K for an additional 86 miles of range under optimal conditions seems steep
- we expect to use the R1T as the daily driver, not for road tripping, so we may never tap into the extra range
 

· Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
Joined
·
94 Posts
So much can change in the next few years, it's hard to figure out what exactly will happen. I'm not surprised in the delays and am willing to wait, however, it does irritate me that they'll put the Max pack into a Dual a full year ahead of the Quad. Whatever the reason for this needs to be openly explained, since it impacts those who have had reservations the longest (although, admittedly my reservation was only made this year). I'm sure things will evolve at Rivian - revisions and improvements, refinement and expansion. I'd love to see improved motors and batteries. Hopefully the issues with the tonneau cover and the Gear Tunnel accessories can also be resolved before then.

Thankfully, I'm not in a rush, so I can afford to sit back on it for now with a rather large bag of popcorn and watch what happens.
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with all your points and was in the same camp as you, patiently waiting for the Max. Another benefit of the Max is that when the battery begins to deteriorate over time, there will be more range for longer.

However, Rivian invited us to a First Drive demo in August. After the demo, my wife who never cares about cars, determined that we NEEDED the R1T ASAP. So I changed to Large pack in August and it looks like we will have it by the end of this year.

My justifications for switching to large:
  • get it sooner and make the wife happy (this is the only one that really matters)
  • $10K for an additional 86 miles of range under optimal conditions seems steep
  • we expect to use the R1T as the daily driver, not for road tripping, so we may never tap into the extra range
Wish you the best with your R1T LR @RidingRoadsAndTrails, and hope you get it as soon as possible. I'm also jealous that you were able to get a First Drive demo. Though Rivian has held a few relatively close to me, I've yet to get an invitation in the 2-1/2 years afsince I reserved, and after many chats with CS on the topic. Since it looks like it will be another 2 or so years until my Rivian is delivered, maybe I'll get that coveted invitation.

I had expected that the Rivian would be our sole forever car, hauling us and our dogs, our camper in the summer, our skis in the winter while also serving as our daily driver. We spend quite a bit of time in nearby Philadelphia however (our children live in the city), and it's become clear that the R1T will be a handful in that crowded urban environment. The new plan is to use a small EV for around town excursions and city visits, with the R1T doing the long trips. The daily driver will hopefully be an Aptera, which may well be in the driveway before the Rivian, despite the reservation being made less than a year ago.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I would tend to agree on the points above it does seem messed up that the dual motor max configuration will be delivered before the quad motor max, I do not see the justification in that. It seems a little ridiculous that I will need to wait that long as my pre-order was late 2018. At this point not sure if the CT will be in the driveway first. I should at least have a good idea from the R1S what sort of realistic mountainous driving range I can expect to get, it is 9000' of cumulative gain (approx. 5K of loss) and 150 miles to get to my 2nd property. Every year they delay I am eating large portions of the 10K max pack upgrade in fuel in my Tundra. I am happy they are honoring the 2018 pricing but my configuration went up 5K due to discontinued explore package.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Does anyone know if you take one of the existing available R1T trucks, will you essentially cancel your existing order (and pricing) for the R1 max pack? Or can you get one now and still maintain the order for the larger one?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
In looking at putting a slide in camper on the R1T, I tagged the large spare compartment as the perfect spot for an auxiliary battery to power the camper. That spot becomes inaccessible with the camper so the spare would be mounted externally or eliminated completely. That spot could also be used for a range extender battery for the truck.

Could see battery mfgs like Optima offering aux EV batteries especially for the SUV and pickups to increase range for trips and tows and storing in the garage when not needed and saving weight, increasing range for normal use. A 63kWh battery weighs 800 lbs and would provide 125 miles of range less the added 10% weight and range loss (30 miles), so an aux battery in the spare could be the Max battery people are looking for to add 25% to the range.

Rivian should consider doing that vs. engineering the Max pack.

Buyers might want to consider it as a way to get Rivian earlier and get the range they need.
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know if you take one of the existing available R1T trucks, will you essentially cancel your existing order (and pricing) for the R1 max pack? Or can you get one now and still maintain the order for the larger one?
It/s "either/or." You are simply converting your existing R1T Max order into a Long Range. If you still want a Max, you will have to place another deposit for one at the current pricing. Though you will pay more, if you configure the reservation for a dual-motor, you will likely get it before the quad you may have reserved a few years back,
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top