Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rivian revealed that R1T owners with the manual tonneau cover will be able to store it in the gear tunnel because it can be removed in 4 panels.

Both the manual and retractable tonneau covers are designed to support up to 4 feet of snow on top of them.

Two lockable tonneau cover options turn the entire bed into an extra 29 cubic feet of secure, weatherproof storage space. Our powered cover retracts using the app, in-vehicle controls or a button on the bed rail. Our manual cover is easily removed in four lightweight panels that can be stored in the Gear Tunnel. Both covers have been designed to support 4 feet of snow.

·
Registered
386 Posts
So many questions here... Who quantified up to 4 feet of snow on top of the covers? Four feet of wet, heavy, dense snow or 4 feet of the light fluffy snow? And what happens at 4' 1"? Water leaks or crushing force breaking your tonneau covers? It would be more quantifiable to say the covers support X lbs of weight. Or for our metric unit lovers out there, Y kg. of weight.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
603 Posts
So many questions here... Who quantified up to 4 feet of snow on top of the covers? Four feet of wet, heavy, dense snow or 4 feet of the light fluffy snow? And what happens at 4' 1"? Water leaks or crushing force breaking your tonneau covers? It would be more quantifiable to say the covers support X lbs of weight. Or for our metric unit lovers out there, Y kg. of weight.
I live in Utah. All we have is light fluffy stuff. Colorado, that’s another story. 😆

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having lived in both Iowa and New York, a foot of ice with 3 feet of wet snow is all too possible. No intention of testing those particular weight limits, though. My pusher and brush stay close at hand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a lot of questions about the Tonneau cover as well (maybe some of you have answers).
I have a DiamondBack cover on my Tacoma (if you’re not familiar with them, check it out: www.diamondbackcovers.com)
I love the cover because it’s extremely secure, and durable. It can support up to 1600 lbs on top, and is coated in a rugged epoxy, so I’m not afraid to set heavy tools on top of it, or stand on top of it.
These features would be hard to do without, now that I’m used to them. But there are a few problems with putting one on the R1T:
The cover sits on top of the bed rails, so it would cover all the buttons. Maybe diamondback will develop a design that works around that. And as much as I love the cover, it certainly would not be as convenient as an automatic cover…
Does anyone know what material the Rivian cover is made from? And how theft proof it is? Is it made from Kevlar or some other cut resistant material?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a lot of questions about the Tonneau cover as well (maybe some of you have answers).
I have a DiamondBack cover on my Tacoma (if you’re not familiar with them, check it out: www.diamondbackcovers.com)
I love the cover because it’s extremely secure, and durable. It can support up to 1600 lbs on top, and is coated in a rugged epoxy, so I’m not afraid to set heavy tools on top of it, or stand on top of it.
These features would be hard to do without, now that I’m used to them. But there are a few problems with putting one on the R1T:
The cover sits on top of the bed rails, so it would cover all the buttons. Maybe diamondback will develop a design that works around that. And as much as I love the cover, it certainly would not be as convenient as an automatic cover…
Does anyone know what material the Rivian cover is made from? And how theft proof it is? Is it made from Kevlar or some other cut resistant material?
The slats are made of aluminum. I wouldn't recommend standing on them (although I have stood on a single slat in 3 point bending and it did not see and permanent deformation. Definitely theft proof unless the thief brings a freaking angle grinder or a torch

·
Registered
423 Posts
Our manual cover is easily removed in four lightweight panels that can be stored in the Gear Tunnel.
I'd go for the retractable manual third party from ReTrax vs. Rivian's removable in that case.

But I switched to the R1S because 7' fishing rods won't fit in the truck bed and adding boxes over the bed to hold them would cut the range on my daily use.

17" shorter helps fitting in garage and general driving in mostly urban environment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think if I didn't get the electric or manual then I would buy a Roll n Lock cover whenever it is released. I wouldn't get the electric since there's too many components (mechanical and electric) to go wrong. What happens if the motor stalls if the slats get cock-eyed? Manual at least seems better IMO, but a roll n Lock seems like the best option. But those are a hefty price tag at $1000-2000. Would just get the manual

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I think if I didn't get the electric or manual then I would buy a Roll n Lock cover whenever it is released. I wouldn't get the electric since there's too many components (mechanical and electric) to go wrong. What happens if the motor stalls if the slats get cock-eyed? Manual at least seems better IMO, but a roll n Lock seems like the best option. But those are a hefty price tag at $1000-2000. Would just get the manual
Welcome to the forum! Add your Rivian to the New Rivian Order Tracker - Enter Your Configuration Here

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
142 Posts
If an aftermarket company really wanted to, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make a manual roll up option that would use the space that the factory electric version occupies. Sure it would be a more involved installation than setting it on top and clamping it down, but you also wouldn't lose the bed space for the roll.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If an aftermarket company really wanted to, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make a manual roll up option that would use the space that the factory electric version occupies. Sure it would be a more involved installation than setting it on top and clamping it down, but you also wouldn't lose the bed space for the roll.
Imo, it's unlikely that a roll-up "solid slat" design would fit in that space... Otherwise, Rivian would have done so. The "stacking" design seems like an interesting solution to the packaging problem.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
142 Posts
Imo, it's unlikely that a roll-up "solid slat" design would fit in that space... Otherwise, Rivian would have done so. The "stacking" design seems like an interesting solution to the packaging problem.
It would be interesting to see, only time will tell once some brave soul takes the protective panels off the inside of the bed, but I do think something could be done in the space, especially if it was manually operated, not power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts