Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems like there's one more big giant gaping hole that MUST be filled by Rivian THIS MONTH (which will likely also serve as a big public unveiling in parallel to launch). The Rivian Mobile App.

If you are taking delivery, you are going to need to download the App. If they are going to meet the expectations of consumers, the Rivian App is going to need to appear in the App Stores in the next few weeks. Should we take over and unders on when we see it?

Of course they could serve up the App privately to start, but that would signal a swing and a miss for July I would think, as that would also indicate a "pre-production" mentality and not a true public launch.

Since the app will likely contain important vehicle access, charging and connectivity features for Rivian Vehicles, as well as service, support & roadside functions / emergency functionality, I think it would be highly unlikely to see a production launch without an actual production App, but curious what others think. I guess I see the App as a proxy for actual production go-live. I would imagine we will get a much more complete view of the infotainment system and all driver functionality in parallel. Feels like the mic is about to drop

·
Registered
146 Posts
Currently using the Volvo app. Best features:
Start car from my desk at work.
Research a destination from my home PC and then use app to send address to vehicle so it is ready to go when I jump in.
Log of driving. Why did the service guy just take my car for a 15 minute test drive..... :)

In other words, convenience a key fob just does not give you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Currently using the Volvo app. Best features:
Start car from my desk at work.
Research a destination from my home PC and then use app to send address to vehicle so it is ready to go when I jump in.
Log of driving. Why did the service guy just take my car for a 15 minute test drive..... :)

In other words, convenience a key fob just does not give you.
"Convenience" ... sure.

"one more big giant gaping hole that MUST be filled by Rivian THIS MONTH" as per the OP ... not so much.

·
Registered
Golf R, XC90, and eventually an R1S
26 Posts
If it is such an integral part of the ownership experience than I'm sure Rivian has been beta testing it in lockstep with the physical vehicles, not developing separately.

Publishing an app can be done in about a week: they need to (a) cut a release, (b) submit the code and screenshots to Apple/Google, (c) wait ~36hr for review, (d) address feedback (if needed) and resubmit, and then (e) release to the public.

For all we know, steps A/B/C/D are all done.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[QUOTE="thrill, post: 12118, member: 396"
"one more big giant gaping hole that MUST be filled by Rivian THIS MONTH" as per the OP ... not so much.
[/QUOTE]

Say what you want, but you are forgetting 1 very important thing. This an electric vehicle that will leverage BOTH Rivian Adventure Network charging stations AND Rivian home charging (which will all be integrated directly into core, native Rivian app functionality (with a direct tie-in to your Rivian account).

FROM RIVIAN:

What’s included with Rivian Wall Charger?
The Rivian Wall Charger is the fastest way to charge your Rivian at home — delivering up to 25 miles of range every hour of charging. It requires no maintenance, updates via OTA software updates, and you can monitor charging in real time through the Rivian app.

Our vehicles use the
CCS
CCS
CCS (Combined Charging Standard) is the charging plug type used by most electric vehicle makers, including Rivian, for DC fast-charging stations. This means anywhere you see a CCS plug, you can charge your Rivian vehicle.
plug standard so you can access public charging networks. We're integrating with the largest networks so you can manage payment and planning from the Rivian app and in-vehicle navigation.

The Rivian app will show your vehicle’s charging status, charging speed and other relevant details no matter what it’s plugged into: Rivian Adventure Network, Rivian Waypoint, Wall Charger, Portable Charger or any 3rd party charger.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
314 Posts
I think it’s without question that the app has to be available for the buyer at purchase.

Now, it doesn’t mean it has to be at an App Store for anyone to download.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it’s without question that the app has to be available for the buyer at purchase.
Now, it doesn’t mean it has to be at an App Store for anyone to download.
Not even a little bit. The vehicle will function fine without an app and service can be arranged via a phone call. Any settings the app allows you to tweak are entirely available from sitting in the car seat and tapping the screen in the vehicle. The wall charger will charge whatever is plugged into it. The RAN will charge whatever Rivian is plugged into it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Not even a little bit. The vehicle will function fine without an app and service can be arranged via a phone call. Any settings the app allows you to tweak are entirely available from sitting in the car seat and tapping the screen in the vehicle. The wall charger will charge whatever is plugged into it. The RAN will charge whatever Rivian is plugged into it.
I agree, I can go weeks without ever opening my Tesla apps. It is not something needed for day to day driving. It is just a tool for convenience not required.

My wife has never used the Tesla App.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It’s not about I needing the app or not. It's a feature advertised by Rivian. They cannot advertise a feature and deliver the car without it.

Of course, they could issue an apology saying the feature won't be available at delivery. And you could accept the apology or not. But it wouldn't be nice.

In any case, I really doubt they would deliver the car without the app available. This seems one of the least complicated part of the whole thing. And if it's not finalized they could issue with limited capabilities like battery status and just add more features over time.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Not sure what this new job posting means for availability of the Rivian app but it's something:
Staff Android Mobile App Developer
Rivian Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.

As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.

We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.

Role Summary

Rivian's Vancouver team is seeking a Staff Android Mobile Application Developer to will develop mobile software applications and SDKs for Rivian products. Rivian is establishing a strong foothold in the Vancouver technology scene and attracting talent aligned with Rivian's core values and motivated by our challenging vision of saving the planet by disrupting and revolutionizing the automobile industry. We are a cross functional team of all backgrounds that values diversity of culture, ideas, and talent and the most adventurous thing we have all done recently is leave our corporate roles and become part of Rivian Vancouver

You are an innovator and a creative problem solver with demonstrated technical abilities proven by your consistent track record of delivering flagship products to market. You have an insatiable desire to solve challenging problems and with your next career move, you are looking to make a meaningful impact. This is a unique opportunity to do just that and become part of a transportation revolution.

Responsibilities
  • Leading feature development and technical delivery on key initiatives
  • Designing and developing Rivian mobile applications and associated SDK for mobile devices on Android OS
  • Develop sample and demo applications making use of our technology
  • Collaborating with the and product and the design team to define app features.
  • Design/Improve application architecture to meet product and technology goals
  • Ensuring quality and performance of application to specifications.
  • Identifying potential problems and resolving application bottlenecks.
  • Debugging, isolating defects, and fixing bugs before final release.
  • Publishing application on Google Play Store.
  • Maintaining the code and atomization of the application.
  • Designing and implementing application updates.
  • Upgrading to Android Developer Requirements
  • Grow your skills with continual learning, workshops, conferences and talks
  • Coaching and mentoring new team members
Qualifications
  • Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering (MS preferred)
  • Proven Android app developer with 8+ years of experience
  • Proficiency in Kotlin, Java, and C++.
  • Ability to use the Android Studio, including the Android SDK, with ease.
  • Excellent coding and proofreading skills.
  • Top-notch teamwork and communication skills.
  • Ability to manage your workload with minimal supervision.
  • Knowledge of Android back-end services.
  • Knowledge of Android design principles and application interface guidelines.
  • Familiarity with the best in class Software development practices.
  • Proficient in code versioning tools including Git, Bitbucket and others.
  • Familiarity with push notifications, APIs and cloud messaging.
  • Experience with continuous integration.
  • Excellent inter-personal skills with the ability to collaboratively work with and influence cross-functional
Equal Opportunity

Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.

Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at [email protected].

Privacy

We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Show less
  • Seniority level
    Mid-Senior level
  • Employment type
    Full-time
  • Job function
    Engineering and Information Technology
  • Industries
    Information Technology and Services, Computer Software, and Automotive

·
Registered
114 Posts
It’s not about I needing the app or not. It's a feature advertised by Rivian. They cannot advertise a feature and deliver the car without it.
You must not be familiar with how Tesla operates. My Model 3 Performance (as well as all the early ones) were delivered without the carbon fiber rear spoiler. I had to wait months for it. I've also been waiting years for full self-driving full implementation.

I hope Rivian doesn't draw inspiration from Tesla in such practices, but as long as it's disclosed, it can make the customer happier and the manufacturer healthier.

Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if the app is ready to go, as there's no need to publish it in advance.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You are totally right about Tesla. And unfortunately I am familiar with the Tesla experience after signing my solar roof with them and having the price updated in 40k over a weekend with no justification.

If Rivian takes the Tesla approach I am out. The environment can survive one more ICE on the street and I need to keep my sanity. I don't think that will be a problem though.
You must not be familiar with how Tesla operates. My Model 3 Performance (as well as all the early ones) were delivered without the carbon fiber rear spoiler. I had to wait months for it. I've also been waiting years for full self-driving full implementation.

I hope Rivian doesn't draw inspiration from Tesla in such practices, but as long as it's disclosed, it can make the customer happier and the manufacturer healthier.

Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if the app is ready to go, as there's no need to publish it in advance.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You are totally right about Tesla. And unfortunately I am familiar with the Tesla experience after signing my solar roof with them and having the price updated in 40k over a weekend with no justification.

If Rivian takes the Tesla approach I am out. The environment can survive one more ICE on the street and I need to keep my sanity. I don't think that will be a problem though.
Yeah if Rivian goes down that path where they don't deliver what people ordered I'll be looking elsewhere. The number of alternatives is only going to keep growing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up an I-Pace and the Jaguar Remote App and Navigation App, although you can do without them, they both make the experience so much better. Great to pre-condition the car before you leave the mall, beach, church or wherever. Or the house while you're still plugged. Great to search on a destination like you would for Google Maps and have it waiting for you in the car and showing charge point all over the place. Can't imagine Rivian would deliver a vehicle without these types of options.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.