Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been surfing the web looking at smart door locks for my house when I came across a feature in the Ring Doorbell app that can unlock your front door. You need to pair the app with a smart door lock through the Key by Amazon app. This also allows Amazon to deliver inside your home. There is also a Garage Door Opener that pairs with Key by Amazon to deliver into your garage. Then I found that you can even tie your vehicle to the Key by Amazon app and have them securely deliver packages into your vehicle (Amazon Key - In Car Delivery | Volvo Car USA).

Do you think Key by Amazon and in-vehicle delivery will be supported by Rivian for the R1T and R1S? Would you use it? Makes me wonder if they can open the locking tonneau cover to put packages in the bed or open the frunk from the app?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a supported Volvo and I do NOT use it. I refuse to even set it up.

I purchased a Ring Doorbell prior to Amazon buying Ring and I was upset when I found out Amazon bought Ring. When my doorbell breaks, I’ll switch to another product — probably Ubiquiti.

I know Siri gets poked fun at for doing “less” than Alexa or Google Assistant, but it’s the only voice assistant I’m willing to use. Amazon and Google have proven they cannot be trusted, and although they’re not perfect, Apple is the only major competitor to have setup a somewhat reasonable privacy policy.

Alexa integration is a huge red flag for me, with Rivian. I’m anxiously awaiting more information about the privacy policy covering Rivian, and what data-sharing with Amazon can be disabled. Another big deal, for me, is to not have the car constantly listening to me and sending conversations to Amazon. I need a physical button to summon the assistant, or a robust and trustworthy mechanism to ensure conversation aren’t uploaded without my permission.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wouldn't need it myself, though in the not so distant past it would have been a handy feature, and I think it'd be a useful thing to at least brag about. As the concept catches on people would start working it into their lives. The home delivery idea, for example, would be nice for a delivery driver to be able to get into your front door, on camera, but not into your second front door (German houses used to have separate foyers, though more for the weather feature of changing clothing somewhere other than inside the main heated house, so the idea is not new architecture).

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been surfing the web looking at smart door locks for my house when I came across a feature in the Ring Doorbell app that can unlock your front door. You need to pair the app with a smart door lock through the Key by Amazon app. This also allows Amazon to deliver inside your home. There is also a Garage Door Opener that pairs with Key by Amazon to deliver into your garage. Then I found that you can even tie your vehicle to the Key by Amazon app and have them securely deliver packages into your vehicle (Amazon Key - In Car Delivery | Volvo Car USA).

Do you think Key by Amazon and in-vehicle delivery will be supported by Rivian for the R1T and R1S? Would you use it? Makes me wonder if they can open the locking tonneau cover to put packages in the bed or open the frunk from the app?
we are a Amazon Alexa smart home setup.. from Ring, smart bulbs, garage door openers, etc .. one of the reasons why we are excited about Rivian, is the Alexa integration. We have Amazon key setup for our garage currently and it has worked like a charm. As there is no official mention yet about Amazon key for Rivian yet.. we still have to wait until all Amazon Alexa functions & integrations are shared by Rivian.. wild guess, however? Am probably expecting it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts