Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I'm coming from a Tesla Model S and looking at my next vehicle in the future. I like midsize SUVs in general so the R1S was a natural consideration.

I've unfortunately had a lot of experience buying unreliable vehicles, new technology beta testing, all sorts of things. So I've been around the block.

I want a vehicle that is eligible for the $7,500 tax credit in 2023 and beyond. So I'm looking at a standard R1S no options for $80k thereabouts.

I know these prices change so I'm concerned I'll put a deposit down, wait a year, find out they're raising prices and it become ineligible. $1,000 is a significant amount for me to be without for a long period of time. All other automakers seem to have $100 deposits.

I am not interesting in heavy off-roading and I prefer a smoother ride over style. So I've considered downsizing the wheels to 20 and putting on some luxury SUV tires for a smooth ride. Reviews I've read said the standard 21 inch wheel ride was stiff. Has anyone swapped out the 21 inch low rolling resistance tires of a luxury SUV tire to improve the ride quality?

When you stop the vehicle does it automatically lower to lowest air setting for ingress and egress? I'd likely keep it in normal and low.

How likely do you think it is that prices and options will change between now and 1-2 years from now when reservations start being produced?

How good is their mobile tech service for repair and warranty work? I don't live near a city and it's been a massive problem with Tesla. Don't ever want to deal with that again. Customer service is paramount for me.

Think they will get Apple Car Play by the time reservations are produced in 1-2 years? That would be helpful for me.

I have a 13 foot canoe I'd like to haul in it. I would like to haul it in the cab and use tie downs with the gate and liftgate open. Would this be alright? Would it damage the tailgate or liftgate if I drove with them open?

What is the real world range like for the standard battery. It says 260 on the website but I find that in real world driving it's often less than advertised. For dual motor standard battery, does anyone know?

Is Rivian good about regular over the air updates? Adding features, additional efficiency and range etc?

How are the adjustments to driving? For example I like extremely low off-throttle regen to coast, with a smooth transition. How's handling and braking feel? More like a truck or a luxury SUV?

How's the Nav system compared to Tesla? Tesla nav is amazing(Google maps) pretty much. It's the only voice and nav system I've ever used that actually works quickly and correctly.

Are the seats comfortable for big and tall people? I really like my Tesla wide and long fat guy seats.

Any other things I should consider or discuss with this reservation?

Thanks for the assistance.

· Registered
348 Posts
I'll give my $.02 on these as I have owned an R1T for 12k+ miles now.

I am not interesting in heavy off-roading and I prefer a smoother ride over style. So I've considered downsizing the wheels to 20 and putting on some luxury SUV tires for a smooth ride. Reviews I've read said the standard 21 inch wheel ride was stiff. Has anyone swapped out the 21 inch low rolling resistance tires of a luxury SUV tire to improve the ride quality? Ride quality on the 21" roads is FANTASTIC! the suspension is the real magician here. Most comfortable vehicle I have owned to date, 40+ cars, trucks, suvs in my book.

When you stop the vehicle does it automatically lower to lowest air setting for ingress and egress? I'd likely keep it in normal and low. Not yet but a future OTA will likely have a "kneel" mode, I leave mine in "low" and its perfect but when someone older or short wants to get in or out I will hit "lowest" for a quick change until Rivian gives us more options.

How likely do you think it is that prices and options will change between now and 1-2 years from now when reservations start being produced? Hard to say, but they are producing these faster every day, reserve now and hopefully your not 1-2yrs away.

How good is their mobile tech service for repair and warranty work? I don't live near a city and it's been a massive problem with Tesla. Don't ever want to deal with that again. Customer service is paramount for me. I recently had my first service experience, albeit at the Brooklyn SC. They were fast prompt and gave me a rental for the 3days.

Think they will get Apple Car Play by the time reservations are produced in 1-2 years? That would be helpful for me. Doubtful

I have a 13 foot canoe I'd like to haul in it. I would like to haul it in the cab and use tie downs with the gate and liftgate open. Would this be alright? Would it damage the tailgate or liftgate if I drove with them open? I don't see this being a good idea, go to the roof cross bars, you can have 3 of them on the R1S.

What is the real world range like for the standard battery. It says 260 on the website but I find that in real world driving it's often less than advertised. For dual motor standard battery, does anyone know? With the Rivian's its dam near that number!!! Nothing like Tesla! Perfect example my R1t is rated at 314, but I can get dam near 320+ on the highway at 70mph.

Is Rivian good about regular over the air updates? Adding features, additional efficiency and range etc? Updates are coming fairly regularly! It's been great and only getting better!

How are the adjustments to driving? For example I like extremely low off-throttle regen to coast, with a smooth transition. Low regen has a seamless transition, high is obviously more aggressive but I prefer high regen, and the one pedal driving is fantastic! How's handling and braking feel? Excellent in all modes, braking is great but I hardly ever touch the pedal, ever! More like a truck or a luxury SUV? Its similar to a smaller CUV such as a Audi SQ5 in turn in and body roll, maybe even slightly better. But let me say when you want to drive it, go sport and firm suspension and it rips and will have you thinking your in something different!

How's the Nav system compared to Tesla? Tesla nav is amazing(Google maps) pretty much. It's the only voice and nav system I've ever used that actually works quickly and correctly. The Nav is just okay, nothing to write hom to mom & dad about. It uses Mapbox but I have hopes that with time it too will get better.

Are the seats comfortable for big and tall people? I really like my Tesla wide and long fat guy seats. I am 5'7" so I can't speak to your fit. However my wife and I find them to be some of the best if not top 2 most comfortable seats ever!

Any other things I should consider or discuss with this reservation? As I mentioned previously, I have owned a lot of cars, and I am a car guy. For a start up and my first EV (driving my parents M3 a ton) they just hit a home run with their first offering, it's really a game changer. Go get in line!!!

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I am not interesting in heavy off-roading and I prefer a smoother ride over style. So I've considered downsizing the wheels to 20 and putting on some luxury SUV tires for a smooth ride. Reviews I've read said the standard 21 inch wheel ride was stiff. Has anyone swapped out the 21 inch low rolling resistance tires of a luxury SUV tire to improve the ride quality?
I have the 21's on my R1T. The ride is nice. I wouldn't call it stiff, at all.
I've had several loaner RT1s and they always have had the 20's. They do ride more supple over bumps, but they don't corner as well.
BOTH are good tires, imo. I would probably get the 20's if I could do it over again, partially because I think the R1T looks a little better with an AT tire and I like the creamy-ride over speed bumps. But I don't dislike my 21's. For the R1S, personally, I don't like the look of the ATs and if you're going to stay on the pavement I would get either the 21's or 22's.

When you stop the vehicle does it automatically lower to lowest air setting for ingress and egress? I'd likely keep it in normal and low.
No, not currently. You can manually change the height to "lowest" but it won't automatically lower/raise when parking. Maybe a future OTA update will add this.

How likely do you think it is that prices and options will change between now and 1-2 years from now when reservations start being produced?
I think it's 100% likely that pricing/options change. I can't say what that will look like, but it seems unlikely that they won't change. We've already seen changes just in the last few months.

How good is their mobile tech service for repair and warranty work? I don't live near a city and it's been a massive problem with Tesla. Don't ever want to deal with that again. Customer service is paramount for me.
Honestly, it's been bad, for me. I've made several requests for mobile service and Rivian has refused every one. I've had to go to the service center for everything. As far as I'm concerned, mobile service is basically a myth. Hopefully this improves, over time.

Think they will get Apple Car Play by the time reservations are produced in 1-2 years? That would be helpful for me.
I would love for this to happen, but I think you should plan on it NEVER happening.

I have a 13 foot canoe I'd like to haul in it. I would like to haul it in the cab and use tie downs with the gate and liftgate open. Would this be alright? Would it damage the tailgate or liftgate if I drove with them open?
It's not ideal. Having the bottom gate down is fine, but the top gate would be flopping around. I wouldn't do it outside of an occasional/rare thing and only at low speeds.

What is the real world range like for the standard battery. It says 260 on the website but I find that in real world driving it's often less than advertised. For dual motor standard battery, does anyone know?
No one knows. No one from the public has driven that configuration, yet.

Is Rivian good about regular over the air updates? Adding features, additional efficiency and range etc?
Yes. We've been getting OTA updates like clockwork, every 4 weeks.

How are the adjustments to driving? For example I like extremely low off-throttle regen to coast, with a smooth transition. How's handling and braking feel? More like a truck or a luxury SUV?
It's more high-end than truck in the driving dynamics. I think it's great in this regard.

How's the Nav system compared to Tesla? Tesla nav is amazing(Google maps) pretty much. It's the only voice and nav system I've ever used that actually works quickly and correctly.
The Model S/X may be better... I found the infotainment in the Model Y to be terrible. More than half of the screen is dedicated to non-nav functions so what is objectively a decent size screen feels REALLY small. The Rivian screen feels much more usable. However, feature-wise, the Rivian navigation is more sparse. Hopefully this improves with future OTA updates. The Rivian nav is basically minimum-viable-product at this point.

Are the seats comfortable for big and tall people? I really like my Tesla wide and long fat guy seats.
Seats are one of the disappointments, imo. They look good, but they're not comfortable on longer journeys.

Any other things I should consider or discuss with this reservation?
Reservation is refundable. If $1,000 is really that much of a stretch then I'd reconsider whether any expensive vehicle is really the right move. Rivian has a lot of areas they need to improve, but it's a good product, and if they can get a few things sorted I think they have the potential to be the best vehicle for many people.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think it's probably not the right move for me right now. I think there are more features and creature comforts I'd need. I also need top notch reliable mobile service, fat guy seats, and other things.

I'm interested in the Cadillac Lyriq but the 2-stage door handle situation is a no buy for me. Huge pet peeve of mine is overcomplicating simple processes. Door handles should simply be a door handle that sticks out and is easy to grab and open.

I'm sort of leaning towards a Chevy Blazer I think. But, none of these vehicles are really going to be on sale for 1-2+ more years for most people. I don't think I'm comfortable with a $1,000 2 year loan.

I'm hoping to see a Bronco with the Mach E drivetrain, or an Ultium competitor from GM in that mid size SUV space. The Blazer might be okay. I just don't care for it's styling and overly aggressive approach. I like simple minimal boxy practical stuff.

Frustrating time to be a car buyer for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts