Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
"science" as you call it doesn't actually support your climate change narrative no where near as much as you claim it does. There isn't one single model that's accurately predicted any human involvement. What people like you do is conflate the obvious, like dumping toxic chemicals in a river is bad, with all sorts of unproven nonsense. The people using this issue to divide people are all on the left side of the spectrum. EV's aren't really the answer to climate change because the way it's presented it isn't real anyways. Also it's funny that I'm the one supposedly pushing an agenda when it's people like you running off about climate change in a car forum. I'm not the first person to bring that up in here. Perhaps if you learned to respect the beliefs of others they would respect yours as well. Until then you give what you get.
Your comprehension is poor; read all my posts in the thread, then apprehend. In addition, your writing, sentence structure, and punctuation are horrendous. If you attended any formal education, ask for your money back. I am not on any side of your climate change; as stated, "It is your money; you worked for it, do what you want."

One example of toxic chemicals. An aircraft manufacturer sent me to Singapore (post-military career). The aircraft company used benzene by workers with rags to pull off the paint on a plane. No mask, no gloves, bare hands. Airplanes can not be painted with a new coat; you must remove all old paint, for the aircraft can not handle the weight. All the workers in the hangar are dead now; the fumes alone from benzene will kill you; I would not enter the hangar. They were unaware of the dangers or not concerned with the workers' health, and it took three days of interpreters to educate them about the risks. The device I was teaching them about was a simple laser connected to a vacuum removal with no toxic benzene. Do you think that they were disposing of the benzene appropriately? Do you want 30 more countries that still use benzene today?

Retired Lieutenant Navy Commander, United States Navy VP-16

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your comprehension is poor; read all my posts in the thread, then apprehend. In addition, your writing, sentence structure, and punctuation are horrendous. If you attended any formal education, ask for your money back. I am not on any side of your climate change; as stated, "It is your money; you worked for it, do what you want."

One example of toxic chemicals. An aircraft manufacturer sent me to Singapore (post-military career). The aircraft company used benzene by workers with rags to pull off the paint on a plane. No mask, no gloves, bare hands. Airplanes can not be painted with a new coat; you must remove all old paint, for the aircraft can not handle the weight. All the workers in the hangar are dead now; the fumes alone from benzene will kill you; I would not enter the hangar. They were unaware of the dangers or not concerned with the workers' health, and it took three days of interpreters to educate them about the risks. The device I was teaching them about was a simple laser connected to a vacuum removal with no toxic benzene. Do you think that they were disposing of the benzene appropriately? Do you want 30 more countries that still use benzene today?

Retired Lieutenant Navy Commander, United States Navy VP-16
I wasn't aware I was writing a book report or a collegiate level paper. You know when you have to criticize someone's grammar it means you cannot actually counter their argument. Pathetic really, but not unexpected. Also just a real strong move listing your accolades in your signature. No one cares man, least of all me. What does toxic chemicals have to do with climate change? We are clearly just talking about the narrative of carbon emissions raising the earth's temperature. This is exactly what people such as yourself do, you throw out obvious things like we shouldn't be dumping toxic waste into rivers when called out for your carbon emission garbage.

That way you can deflect from the total and complete lack of evidence about CO2 emissions, and it's the exact people pushing climate change that export all our polluting industries to places that DO use these toxic chemicals you're talking about. All so the smug leftists can pretend they are making a difference from their ivory towers while 12 year olds in Pakistan are recycling their EV batteries with their bare hands and letting the electrolytes pollute their ground water. Was my sentence structure clear enough for you this time?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I care that he served our Nation and thereby my family and friends.. I care because it gives us the freedoms to be on a forum and state our opinions. It matters to me that I can spend the money I am free to earn on whatever I please. What I don’t care about is insulting anyone over a stupid car. It’s a piece of machinery - come on folks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As others have said, you need to think about the conveniences an EV provides on a DAILY basis as opposed to the every once in a while when you take a trip. Plus it's arguably better for the environment.

But some of y'all need to get you figures straight on ICE maintenance and not just repeat exaggerated talking points. It's not helpful to the discussion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wasn't aware I was writing a book report or a collegiate level paper. You know when you have to criticize someone's grammar it means you cannot actually counter their argument. Pathetic, really, but not unexpected. Also just a real strong move listing your accolades in your signature. No one cares man, least of all me. What does toxic chemicals have to do with climate change? We are clearly just talking about the narrative of carbon emissions raising the earth's temperature. This is exactly what people such as yourself do, you throw out obvious things like we shouldn't be dumping toxic waste into rivers when called out for your carbon emission garbage.

That way you can deflect from the total and complete lack of evidence about CO2 emissions, and it's the exact people pushing climate change that export all our polluting industries to places that DO use these toxic chemicals you're talking about. All so the smug leftists can pretend they are making a difference from their ivory towers while 12 year olds in Pakistan are recycling their EV batteries with their bare hands and letting the electrolytes pollute their ground water. Was my sentence structure clear enough for you this time?
You have comprehended that I am a "smug leftist"? Sorry, I voted Republican since Ronald Reagan, yet there are some good Democrats out there. I never listed one accolade. I recorded that I am retired and my rank at retirement. I retired military pilot with thirty years in the Navy, plus I used an old Clint Eastwood Avatar because when you get our age, you get a bit cranky. No, I had three tours that were not that hard, I was up in the air or out at sea pretty safe, and my sacrifice is nothing compared to 98% of those that have and are serving now (did Iran, Kuwait, and Iraq in that order). Yes, Iran under Carter.
Now, what do toxins have to do to climate is your question? Ever read up on Agent Orange (Dioxin, Chloroform)? Russia may use it to take someone out in a crowd with a few drops of it on a handkerchief and leaves little traces if you piss them off enough. Here is a list of nearly two thousand sites across the United States trying to be cleaned up over the last forty years to reduce deaths. Search for Superfund Sites Where You Live | US EPA
You can't live there; if you choose to, it is illegal now, and life will probably be pretty painful; the land is beautiful in many cases.
Numerous Corporations used to give barrels of excess Dioxin to road pavers, who would dump the excess Dioxin in the oil and use it to pave the streets or keep down the dust on gravel roads. Quite frankly, they did not know how toxic it was. This is in the USA. My older brother, Michael, died from serving in Vietnam; one could clear 100 acres of forest overnight with Agent Orange; the problem was many of the good guys died a painful death over the next twenty years if they made it home. The half-life of Dioxin is fifty years just in the soil. Levels in the food chain are still dangerous in many areas of the earth. People think it's hip to go to Vietnam now; trust me, they didn't do anything, and it is still there. Being left or right has nothing to do with it. As I stated, your money and work buy what you want to go to the starter of the thread that thought he might like to drive his Toyota over a new Rivian.
I don't think a Rivian will change the earth's climate or EVs, but maybe it will evolve into something? I don't have an answer. I blew out more C02 in jets than the whole board here. See, my position, and it's just one guy, is somewhat, and I find it hard to write "like yours"; the USA will not put their belief system (even if it is the right thing to do, like freedom). I'm not sure about another six to eight billion people in non-free countries. But you could not grasp that; you painted the wrong guy. We all have different needs; mine is to downsize from a 2011 Lincoln Navigator for my wife to something practical and safe with many self-driving features and is good in rural Colorado. We all don't buy something because we have the same need. Also, I don't like paying $5.00 a gallon. Which leads me to a question, which should not be a college-level thesis for you, why are you on the Rivian board attacking your so-called "leftist smug" anyway? Yes, have had one on order for two years, I get so. tired of the left and right theory. With that attitude, you or most, will not get anywhere in life. I would slap a hundred-dollar bill that you have never traveled to third-world countries and appreciate what you have heard, people that can express what they would like to do. There is no better place, and I hope we all are aware of that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my R1T for almost a month, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. I was just wondering if anyone else was a first time EV owner and gave it up, or if it took a little longer for it to grow on them...?

It's my first EV, and nicest vehicle that I have ever owned. It drives great, no problems at all with it, and it is a lot less expensive to operate than my 2021 4Runner was. The main reason for getting it was for having the convenience of always having a full "tank" every morning. I have only driven more than 200 miles at one time in my 4runner once- a 400 mile trip. Besides local driving, I have to drive about 130 miles round trip once a week. Considering my driving habits, the Rivian seemed very practical for me. I wanted to get a truck, and was thinking about trading my 4runner for a Tacoma or Colorado when I got the call for my R1T delivery date about a year before I was expecting it. I was hesitant to take delivery, but I pulled the trigger.

The main sticking point for me is if I will ever need to charge it on the road- No more pulling over and spending 5 minutes pumping gas for another 350 miles. That makes me nervous. And the fact that this is a REALLY nice truck. It seems like a lot could go wrong with it, considering everything is controlled electronically, through the main screen (including the vents, which I am not a fan of). There's a part of me that just wants a used Tacoma and not have to worry about door dings, scratches, how to valet the thing (I still haven't looked into that!), or gadgets to break.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw out my feelings with it to see if anyone else didn't immediately take to the EV lifestyle, and to get any thoughts on even how to sell it, if I could sell it (and who would get the federal EV credit if I sold it?).

I'm going to give it another month to see what happens. Thanks for any thoughts for a first time EV owner!
I'm not sure where you spend 5 minutes getting gas.. I'm a Costco member and that's at least a 20 and 25 minute exercise for me.. I just took my 1st 1st longer trip with the RivianAnd I discovered electrify America. They have 350 KW chargers that brought me backup to 85% in less than 20 minutes.. Most of them were located in shopping malls so I didn't have any trouble killing the time. I no longer have any range anxiety. Next month I'm taking a large trip up to the Sierra Nevada as all the way up to Yosemite and I think that might be more of a challenge but I will let you know when I get back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had my R1T for almost a month, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. I was just wondering if anyone else was a first time EV owner and gave it up, or if it took a little longer for it to grow on them...?

It's my first EV, and nicest vehicle that I have ever owned. It drives great, no problems at all with it, and it is a lot less expensive to operate than my 2021 4Runner was. The main reason for getting it was for having the convenience of always having a full "tank" every morning. I have only driven more than 200 miles at one time in my 4runner once- a 400 mile trip. Besides local driving, I have to drive about 130 miles round trip once a week. Considering my driving habits, the Rivian seemed very practical for me. I wanted to get a truck, and was thinking about trading my 4runner for a Tacoma or Colorado when I got the call for my R1T delivery date about a year before I was expecting it. I was hesitant to take delivery, but I pulled the trigger.

The main sticking point for me is if I will ever need to charge it on the road- No more pulling over and spending 5 minutes pumping gas for another 350 miles. That makes me nervous. And the fact that this is a REALLY nice truck. It seems like a lot could go wrong with it, considering everything is controlled electronically, through the main screen (including the vents, which I am not a fan of). There's a part of me that just wants a used Tacoma and not have to worry about door dings, scratches, how to valet the thing (I still haven't looked into that!), or gadgets to break.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw out my feelings with it to see if anyone else didn't immediately take to the EV lifestyle, and to get any thoughts on even how to sell it, if I could sell it (and who would get the federal EV credit if I sold it?).

I'm going to give it another month to see what happens. Thanks for any thoughts for a first time EV owner!
Well I'll try to throw my two cents in after everybody else. My background..
I've owned an EV for the last 12 years. I started with a Nissan Leaf and I commuted with it. I built my own EV and commuted with with it for several years. I had a Mini Cooper SE All4 that was half electric. Then earlier this year I got a Tesla because I figured the Rivian was not coming anytime soon. So yes I am certainly biased towards EVs.
So just this week I took my first long distance trip in the Tesla. I'm on a trip from western North Carolina to Cleveland Ohio and drove about 600 mi. I stopped every couple hundred miles for a 15 to 20 minute charge. I went to the bathroom, refilled my drink, walked around a little bit just to get a wake again and went on my way.
You mentioned being concerned about not being able to go 350 miles. Do you really go 350 miles without a stop? That's on the order of 5 hours of driving.
Certainly charging the EV is not quite as quick as "pumping gas, hopping in and going" but like I think a lot of people have asked do you really just pull into the pump, put in your 20 gallons of fuel and hop in the car and go?

So try to be fair about the comparison. When you pull into the the charging station, you plug it in and while it's charging you can walk away and go to the bathroom, get a drink, if it's lunch time grab a quick bite and by the time you finished all that the car's got enough charge to go another 200+ miles down the road. That's almost 3 hours of driving.
Is that not good enough to out weigh all the pluses of an EV?
If you truly say no, then sell it. We'll all be disappointed, but you have to do you.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am probably going to get my second EV and give up gas totally. I got the Mustang Mach E in early 21. If I was going out west I would take some of my gas savings and rent a vehicle for my large trip that I take once every year or two. Most of my trips involve interstates with well-planned Charging available and it is only going to get better. I have been very fortunate to have a guy for body work. I spend about $500 every year or two to fix dings and touch up. I do try to avoid them with all my cars all the time. Good luck. What ever you decide will be fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FWIW, I think if you were super pro-environment (not judging either way), you probably would not have posted your question. For me, we are waiting on an R1S, which will likely only get here late last year. We purchased our first EV in July of 2021, a Ford Mustang Mach-E. Thankfully, my car has had no issues and has only had one recall - windshield/panoramic roof. As an early adopter of the MME, I assumed there would be problems. I also PPF'd portions of the car and ceramic coated to the tune of $3k. I am nervous about dings, scratches, etc. We charge at home overnight and have taken the MME on long trips from H-town to Dallas on two occasions. My wife's 7 yo Audi Q5 TDI was starting to have problems and each problem cost at least $400 minimum and the worst case scenario was going to be $2k-$4k. So, we lucked into a BMW iX a few months ago. We chose another electric for a few reasons. First, we got the $7,500 credit on this vehicle and we no longer qualify. Second, I am a big fan of the instant torque and not having to go to gas stations. Third, I do believe EVs are better for the environment and the future (but that is a distant third). But, we plan on having an ICE vehicle for the forseeable future as I do not know what will happen to the power grid. So, on our last longer trip to New Orleans (before we got the iX), we took our Honda Odyssey minivan with us. Why? It was a longer drive and my mom came with us. With two car seats, it is a tight squeeze in that back seat for an adult.

I say all of this to say that I am happy with our two EVs. On long distance trips, it is annoying to charge for 30-40 minutes and that is assuming there is not a line for the charger and that the charger is charging full bore. My kids enjoy it because we end up at Walmarts and they end up with toys and snacks. Win for them - loss in the pocketbook for us. :) Another thing that others do not mention is that it is sometimes a hassle to find a charger at your destination. So, plan on driving around town unless your hotel has a level II charger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would be interested to know reservation dates vs delivery dates of some of you that most recently took deliveries. I reserved in July of 2021 and cannot get any handle on when to expect the call to finalize my order. Thanks to anyone who can reply.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I expect the OP is unlikely to get a resounding "give up on EV ownership" response ... from participants in an EV owner's forum. So I would advise just taking that inherent audience bias into account as you read replies to your thread.

EV ownership motivations can vary wildly. In my opinion that is something that is rather fascinating about EV's. Some people are excited by their amazing performance ... some by the low-maintenance prospects ... some by the feeling of environmental stewardship ... and some by the ability to leave the garage every day with a "full tank". It is kind of amazing, to me, how diverse an appeal they can have.

In my opinion, the problems posed by EV road trips and "charging on the road" in 2022 seem likely to change as we move forward (and more infrastructure is built). I road trip rarely enough that I am personally willing to accept more inconvenience in 2022 in order to experience the other advantages of EV ownership on a daily basis now.

My recommendation to the OP would be to give it a few months and see if your fears are well-founded, or if they lessen somewhat in importance over time. I would expect that you would be able to sell your R1T after a couple of months of ownership just as successfully/profitably as you could right now ... as the line is years long for those who want one and cannot get one (today).

Speaking just for myself, I am a joyful EV owner and fully intend to never purchase another ICE vehicle for the remainder of my days. That is because I am fortunate enough to be able to charge at home and that meets such an extremely high percentage of my routine usage. It is my personal belief that "road trip" charging experience will improve over time ... it is just not known exactly how long that improvement will realistically take. But I am happy to experience the other "joys" of EV ownership in the interim because I am not frequently impacted by a need to charge on the road.

EV's aren't perfect. They certainly aren't climate "silver bullets" either. But I personally feel somewhat good knowing that I am doing something, as an individual, to help out a bit. I love not caring a whit about "warming up an ICE" vehicle in winter conditions ... or about the wear-and-tear of doing quick jaunts to the store and back in an ICE vehicle ... or about being unable to stay cool & comfortable without running a gas engine A/C. Plus, to me, EV's are just really fun to drive. I never enjoyed driving as much as I started doing once I got my first EV.

If I believed the practicality of road tripping in an EV was never going to improve, then I would be somewhat less enthusiastic. But that isn't what I personally believe. It will take time, yes, but I am enjoying being a part of the "early days" in this new chapter in the history of transportation ... and I am optimistic that the road tripping logistics will improve. In the meantime, all it requires from me is a bit more planning and patience.

·
Registered
8 Posts

This sounds to me like you are first and foremost having what I call the new car regret. By that I mean you are having second thoughts about all the money that we all must spend to buy a new EV vehicle. And because of that you are now looking for reasons to justify this feeling, such as charging time that you already new about before you bought the R1T. With the purchase of any other new vehicle these feelings would quickly dissolve. Why ? because you would realize the massive hit you would have to take on the resale of a brand new vehicle. But not in the case of your new R1T. In fact you would probably make money. The problem is that when you finally purchase another EV and that day is coming fast. You will pay much more money for it, and not to mention all the seven dollar a gallon of gas that you have had to burn while you waited. Keep your R1T take some time to learn about it and have fun with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your concerns are real and they just take some time to get past the range anxiety. What helped me was to plan a trip to specifically test the long range charging. Sometime when you're not in a hurry or rushing someplace for the holidays. I tested my closest charger first to make sure I had the app setup, etc.

Once you start using it more, it won't feel scary. The nav system is also really helpful. You plugin the destination and it will tell you when/where to charge along your route. Just remember you want to charge from 20%-80% and use a 350kw charger whenever you're able to. That will get you the fastest charging speeds. Some 150kw stations work well too but anything lower will take ages to charge up.

Regarding this:
And the fact that this is a REALLY nice truck. It seems like a lot could go wrong with it
Just remember its got a great warranty and having owned an EV for about 10 years, I've found there is actually a lot less that can go wrong and my vehicles have spent little to zero time in the shop compared to my ICE vehicles.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts

Might depend on your tires (mine are 22"). I have the full size spare and underbody shield (mention because of the weight). I just did a 260 mile round trip (130 each way), mostly freeway, mostly 70-75 mph with AC on. Got home with 40 miles left. Plugged into my level 2 charger, all good in the AM. Had mine for 6 months. A couple problems, a mobile visit, to fix a sensor. BTW: this is my 2nd EV, also have a 2019 Kia Niro EV. Based on the past 3 years, I'll never go back to ICE. In addition to "gassing" at home, no oil changes, quiet, quick...yeah, give it another month. If you don't want it, my son is on the list for one, he'd be glad to take it off your hands...

·
Registered
80 Posts

Just keep it and learn to enjoy what’s unique about it. It is what it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not sure where you spend 5 minutes getting gas.. I'm a Costco member and that's at least a 20 and 25 minute exercise for me.. I just took my 1st 1st longer trip with the RivianAnd I discovered electrify America. They have 350 KW chargers that brought me backup to 85% in less than 20 minutes.. Most of them were located in shopping malls so I didn't have any trouble killing the time. I no longer have any range anxiety. Next month I'm taking a large trip up to the Sierra Nevada as all the way up to Yosemite and I think that might be more of a challenge but I will let you know when I get back.
You spend 5 minutes getting gas anywhere EXCEPT Costco. You're taking an extreme situation of fueling a gas vehicle (and talking about standing in line, not actually fueling) and comparing it to an extreme situation of charging an EV and acting like they're the norm because it supports the argument you're making. There's NO WAY you can charge your truck anywhere near as fast as I can fill my tank. And that's not even including the time it takes you to FIND a charging station, with a charger that's open, and working -- let alone one that does 350 KW.

Disingenuous/dishonest EV arguments aren't going to help adoption. Stick with the real benefits.

·
Registered
RS1 Adventure Package
2 Posts

Anyway, I thought I'd throw out my feelings with it to see if anyone else didn't immediately take to the EV lifestyle and to get any thoughts on even how to sell it, if I could sell it (and who would get the federal EV credit if I sold it?).

I'm going to give it another month to see what happens. Thanks for any thoughts for a first-time EV owner!
It's important to educate yourself when you get an EV. There are tons of YouTube channels that will educate everyone on EV ownership and long-distance traveling. There are people who pull trailers with the RIVAN and have 3 children as well. It's a whole new mindset and adaptation.

When ICE vehicles came out, people with horses and buggies had to change. Gas stations were not available then, so many times they had to get gas at the drugstore. Instead of feeding and cleaning up the stalls, car owners adapted to a faster and easier way of commuting. Just a crack and off they went.

Fast charging is getting faster and places to charge are all over the country. Owning a RIVIAN is like having a sports car, luxury car, truck, and sport utility vehicle all in one. Once you have adapted to it, you will never go back.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You spend 5 minutes getting gas anywhere EXCEPT Costco. You're taking an extreme situation of fueling a gas vehicle (and talking about standing in line, not actually fueling) and comparing it to an extreme situation of charging an EV and acting like they're the norm because it supports the argument you're making. There's NO WAY you can charge your truck anywhere near as fast as I can fill my tank. And that's not even including the time it takes you to FIND a charging station, with a charger that's open, and working -- let alone one that does 350 KW.

Disingenuous/dishonest EV arguments aren't going to help adoption. Stick with the real benefits.
Everyone in my family have gotten to the point (well about 4 years ago) we (even the teens) hate putting gas in the ICEs, it is such a time suck. Unless we are on a long trip I’m down to ~1-2x a month between the 3 ICEs. It takes ~20 min (and yesterday ~$120 to fill my truck) as there are no gas stations in a convenient location to my house or when I sit in the massive line like others at Costco.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Everyone in my family have gotten to the point (well about 4 years ago) we (even the teens) hate putting gas in the ICEs, it is such a time suck. Unless we are on a long trip I’m down to ~1-2x a month between the 3 ICEs. It takes ~20 min (and yesterday ~$120 to fill my truck) as there are no gas stations in a convenient location to my house or when I sit in the massive line like others at Costco.
I totally agree; not having to go get gas at all is a huge benefit of owning an EV and I'm looking forward to that. But saying that you can charge it as quickly as you can fill your tank because you include the time waiting in a gas line at Costco in the comparison is just a total fudge of facts and figures. How long is the wait time at a charger if someone else is using it?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts