Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, getting the Ford MME was the best thing that could have happened because I realize what it is I am looking for in a vehicle I plan to keep as my daily driver for the next decade. If it was within our budget, I would keep the MME but the wifey has no desire to make that her primary vehicle. Alas, I will trade it in for the R1S whenever my turn comes around. First, of the 13 vehicles I have owned, 9 have been black. So, my initial configuration was black on black for the R1S. However, after owning the MME that is a "Rapid Red", I can see why I would lean towards a different color. This red is so deep and shiny that it forces me to wash it every week. So, I think my color preference has now shifted into Black/Rivian Blue - 30 percent each and Forest Green/Canyon Red - 20% each. Red was not an option before. I cannot wait to actually see what these SUVs look like in person.

Battery size - I really enjoy the speed of the MME. So, if the large pack gets me 300+ miles per charge and the mega pack (or whatever it is called) only gets me 375 but is slower to 0 to 60, I may go with the large pack. This whole time, I have been thinking bigger is better especially on road trips. That extra 75 miles per charge can really let me go another hour give or take. However, I really like the speed. Also, in almost two months, I have only charged the MME outside of my garage only the first two weeks because I did not have a larger outlet in my garage for faster charging. On the other hand, with my kids getting older and advancing out of the toddler stage, we may be more likely to take road trips. It is a good thing I have a year or so to keep going back-and-forth on this issue.

Size of vehicle - with two little ones and a grandma, I definitely need three rows as long as I am using booster seats. This may be different once they advance out of them, but for the next three years or so, I would like something wider than the MME and that has three rows. We do have a minivan that we can use, but I'd prefer to drive the electric vehicle mostly and the minivan sporadically. I have also thought about trading-in the minivan but there is no note on that vehicle and a sizable one on the MME. So, we're keeping the minivan. Also, at some point, we will probably have a dog or two. Currently, we are dog-less. So, for future planning, I'd like something that they can truck around in too.

Fit and finish - after driving the MME for almost two months and seeing friends with Teslas, I think Ford's fit-and-finish is significantly better than Tesla's. Because Rivian is a start-up, I am sure that there will be growing pains. The real question is, when I am spending $80k plus on a brand new vehicle, how much growing pain am I willing to put up with. I know other manufacturers have issues too. But, this will be the most expensive vehicle we have ever purchased.

Panoramic roof - as a bald person, the fact that the MME has no motorized sunshade is annoying to say the least. I am wearing a hat during the afternoon if I am in the car. We live in Texas and it gets hot. As I was talking to an ID4 owner last week, she told me her reason to not get the MME was that it did not have a power sunshade and her ID4 did. I am hoping this is something Rivian will consider. I know that Teslas do not have it, but any aftermarket part just will not stand the test of time. If I use even darker tint, then I will be able to see much less when I want to look out.

Suspension - I cannot wait to have self-adjusting/air suspensions. I have never owned a car with such a feather, but cannot wait as the roads here leave a lot to be desired. It is surprising because it does not get as cold here as the midwest or anywhere north of Texas.

These are just random ruminations on a Thursday morning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A few things to be aware of:
You will not be able to get the Max Pack if you get the third row of seating. I forget when/where this was confirmed, but know that the max pack takes up room where the third row footwell would go (I think). To get a sense of what type of impact that would have on a roadtrip - worth doing a trip planner from Tesla (Go Anywhere | Tesla) using a Model Y performance as a proxy. By the time your R1S shows up, Superchargers will likely be available for you to use via an adapter.

Roof: From riding around in Model S/3/Xs with glass roofs that have significant blocking properties - I don't think this is as much of an issue. Don't know if Ford uses something different. You can also add a clear film that will help even further. We did that in our Forester and it made a huge difference - and that was just a clear/untinted/non-blocking roof to begin with. Rivian will almost certainly not have it close to launch.

Right now - you might be able to get more for that MME than you paid for it - and that's even before factoring in the tax credit! I've seen them going from dealers for $70k+ for a $50k config. Here's hoping values stay high long term for you!

·
Registered
395 Posts
A few things to be aware of:
You will not be able to get the Max Pack if you get the third row of seating. I forget when/where this was confirmed, but know that the max pack takes up room where the third row footwell would go (I think). To get a sense of what type of impact that would have on a roadtrip - worth doing a trip planner from Tesla (Go Anywhere | Tesla) using a Model Y performance as a proxy. By the time your R1S shows up, Superchargers will likely be available for you to use via an adapter.

Roof: From riding around in Model S/3/Xs with glass roofs that have significant blocking properties - I don't think this is as much of an issue. Don't know if Ford uses something different. You can also add a clear film that will help even further. We did that in our Forester and it made a huge difference - and that was just a clear/untinted/non-blocking roof to begin with. Rivian will almost certainly not have it close to launch.

Right now - you might be able to get more for that MME than you paid for it - and that's even before factoring in the tax credit! I've seen them going from dealers for $70k+ for a $50k config. Here's hoping values stay high long term for you!
Originally I think that was true but later they did say there would be an extended pack for both 5 and 7 seaters but backed off on what that range would be.

I would not count on the Tesla super chargers being available anytime soon. Even if they do open them up, the charge port location on the Rivian will not allow for the Rivian’s to charge at them. They will need to add linter charge cables to the super chargers to make them usable by some vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hadn’t heard about the change in direction on battery pack / no. of seats. Interesting.

I’d wager that whatever adapter comes out that’s needed to connect a Tesla charger to a standard charger will accommodate varying lengths as well and not just be an “at the plug” adapter. You mentioned keeping the vehicle for a decade, so certainly within the time you own it. My example there was also more intended to be “see what impacts might be on travel time“ rather than “use this to get exact idea” - between EA + Rivian chargers, I’ll wager the network isn’t that far off from Tesla’s, and certainly charge times won’t be much worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.