Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not scared in the least , surely the future will be figured out as it comes at us.
Maybe some miracles, engineering, new discoveries.
As far as we are concerned personally As long as the sun shines and wind blows we will have most of the juice we want.
We’re still using our sun and wind powered clothes dryer we bought at the hardware store in the 50’s .
We bought a deluxe one for the place in Florida recently and they are still under $20 and this one is 50’ long.
Here’s a read
A 100% EV Future is a Pipe Dream. What’s It Mean for TSLA and RIVN? — Entrepreneur

· Registered
692 Posts
Amusing. Good reason to drop Entrepreneur Magazine. Apparently writer and editors are unaware of CA and US regs mandating EV’s by 2035. Real question would be stock price of auto mfg who can’t make EV’s.

· Registered
15 MS 70D, Chevy Bolt, Yamaha T700
27 Posts
I think they title is a bit of click bait, the articles aren't saying that EVs aren't here to stay and won't increase in market share. Like anything, one sentence often doesn't provide the context. The "pipe dream" phrase was actually from a different article: Five Big Questions At The Start of 2023, which I found to be quite fair hitting the real barriers for EVs (cost, materials, infrastructure for those who can't charge at home): "In my view, zero ICE vehicles by 2035 (as mandated by California and New York and in various European countries) is not a realistic outcome for numerous reasons, including affordability, raw materials constraints, infrastructure constraints, and the nature of recharging when one doesn't live in a single family home in the suburbs, to name a few." Technology and improvement may overcome these barriers in the next 12 years, but it isn't guaranteed. Getting 100% of anything is hard: "I'll say it again: I am personally bullish both EVs and oil demand. But a bullish EV outlook can still fall well short of 100%, 50%, or even 25% market shares relative to global auto sales." He is also looking not just at the the states with a 100% mandate but the broad market. There are a lot of countries around the world where EV use is very limited and will face significant barriers to expand.

· Registered
9 Posts
I agree that we won't see only EV on the road by 2035 in those states and EU countries with this mandate. But the Mandate does state that you can only have EVs on the road. It actually states that new vehicle sales in that state or country shall only be EV which is a more achievable outcome than getting rid of John's 1965 Mustang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts