Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
239 Posts
Sorry not doing CarPlay has ZERO to do with this. This is a new announcement from June 2022, Rivian said no CarPlay in 2019. Additionally the new CarPlay Dashboard is an option, not a requirement, just like the current CarPlay's HUD functions, not everyone uses it.

I would assume lack of CarPlay/Android Auto is for two reasons. First Tesla said no and still won't do it, so why should Rivian. Second development time; the focus is on the new vehicle, period. They didn't want any hours spent on integration with phones.

I really hope Rivian begins to support CP/AA because it is a fantastic feature that I really don't want to live without. I still want my Rivian but after driving the BMW IX/I4 and seeing their CarPlay functions, I am disappointed.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would assume lack of CarPlay/Android Auto is for two reasons. First Tesla said no and still won't do it, so why should Rivian. Second development time; the focus is on the new vehicle, period. They didn't want any hours spent on integration with phones.

I really hope Rivian begins to support CP/AA because it is a fantastic feature that I really don't want to live without. I still want my Rivian but after driving the BMW IX/I4 and seeing their CarPlay functions, I am disappointed.
I think the “Tesla hasn’t been forced to do it” is a big part of why Rivian hasn’t.

I hope the ‘dev time’ relative to phone integration is not part of the problem. There is almost no phone integration in the Rivian system and it’s bad. If Rivian insists they can ‘do better than CarPlay’ then they need to start trying. There is ZERO smart assistant integration Or text message integration. That isn’t better. That is objectively worse. That isn’t even trying.

I’ve been making do without CarPlay while I enjoy most of the rest of my R1T. But I drove in my wife’s vehicle over the weekend and immediately saw her use CarPlay and was like “oh my long lost friend. How I’ve missed you”.

·
Registered
Ordered 6/20: R1S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry not doing CarPlay has ZERO to do with this. This is a new announcement from June 2022, Rivian said no CarPlay in 2019. Additionally the new CarPlay Dashboard is an option, not a requirement, just like the current CarPlay's HUD functions, not everyone uses it.

I wasn’t saying this was THE reason Rivian isn’t going to integrate w/ACP but they have mentioned the fact that Apple requires full screen takeover as being one of the reasons. An all screen take over just seems crazy. Probably should have titled post another reason Rivian will shun ACP.

As for BMW, currently driving an X5 (our second BMW) and their CarPlay integration is super buggy. I use for Google Maps mostly and Sirius and Spotify Apps. It’s nice but with some work I think Rivian can get the essentials down to the point where I’d be ok with it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I wasn’t saying this was THE reason Rivian isn’t going to integrate w/ACP but they have mentioned the fact that Apple requires full screen takeover as being one of the reasons. An all screen take over just seems crazy. Probably should have titled post another reason Rivian will shun ACP.
That's observably false. Plenty of vehicles implement CarPlay in a "window" within the infotainment system. My Volvo, for example, does this. In fact, on the Volvo forums people sometimes complain that CarPlay isn't allowed to take over the full screen, lol.

I believe Subaru is now giving drivers the option of windowed or full-screen CarPlay, which they can toggle between. Best of both worlds!

·
Registered
459 Posts
" the revamped [CarPlay] interface takes over all interior displays, including the instrument panel and related gauges, along with ancillary items like air conditioning controls."

While Apple may offer that option to car makers, the idea that Apple requires access to and control of car's functionality sounds completely bogus. Huge amount of engineering work and huge liability for Apple and car mfg with no benefit to Apple, car mfg or driver.

Other comments by Robb Report are so outlandish that you have to wonder if the author has any experience with car 10 years old.

"Already teased at a recent Apple developer conference is a feature that enables CarPlay to navigate to a gas station and pay for the fill-up. The idea isn’t new; according to Car & Driver, GM attempted the trick as early as 2017, but later abandoned it."

Car nav's have been routing to gas stations for at least the last 10 years at least.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Other comments by Robb Report are so outlandish that you have to wonder if the author has any experience with car 10 years old.

"Already teased at a recent Apple developer conference is a feature that enables CarPlay to navigate to a gas station and pay for the fill-up. The idea isn’t new; according to Car & Driver, GM attempted the trick as early as 2017, but later abandoned it."

Car nav's have been routing to gas stations for at least the last 10 years at least.
And the car pays for the fill-up in 10-year old cars with nav systems?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm curious, are there any vehicles that offer Android Auto but NOT CarPlay? I have seen vehicles that offer CP and not AA, but I don't know of any that do the opposite.
My guess would be not. Probably by the time you license and make your system compatible with CP, AA is just an afterthought. But you should not have to rely on having CP in order to offer AA (although Apple owners might complain since that never happens).

·
Registered
459 Posts
And the car pays for the fill-up in 10-year old cars with nav systems?
If they have Apple Car Play, they would...by pay we mean the car, Apple Card and pump all talk.

Considering world is going EV, CarPlay will also navigate to chargers and pay for the electric. Already do in my case as EA, EVSC, EVgo and Chargepoing all use the Apple Card to pay automatically when I charge up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The amount of CarPlay a given vendor does is very flexible. Elon wants to build a living room on wheels with associated game console (vs actual UI for drivers) and could care less what customers want because Tesla sells every car it can build (today). RIvan probably also feels like it's not impeding sales either. Seeing what some of the 'legacy' folk are doing with both EVs and UI (w/CarPlay and android Auto) makes me hope someday these not-invented-attitudes will shift

1 - 14 of 14 Posts