Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've nerded out on the Munro rolling chassis breakdown of the Rivian vs the Ford Lightning...
It's a little disconcerting to see some of the issues raised by tolerances that seem to be outside the scope of Best Practices, especially when compared to the Lightning.
Id be curious to see a Rivian response to some of the doubled up welds (human vs robotic on the Ford) , and the lack of clearance for critical hydraulic lines that will be subject to movement and possible impingement between body and frame. Other points raised are around the architecture of the upper control arms and the bolts that bear the brunt of the suspension strain. These videos are generally pretty dry, but I found these two videos fascinating.
Thoughts?
Peace,
MJ

· Registered
582 Posts
I watched the Rivian one when it came out. Nothing stood out as overly concerning, it's largely about efficiency of construction as opposed to quality. Have not watched the Ford one but I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of stuff is handled more efficiently by Ford ... a rookie automaker will be less efficient in design of their first product than a legacy automaker.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watched the Rivian one when it came out. Nothing stood out as overly concerning, it's largely about efficiency of construction as opposed to quality. Have not watched the Ford one but I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of stuff is handled more efficiently by Ford ... a rookie automaker will be less efficient in design of their first product than a legacy automaker.
Thx @sciencegeek....I generally agree with you, as it was more about scaling production, than "bad" design. I wasnt crazy about the routing of the hydraulic lines, and did have questons about the upper control arms. That being said, super interesting to see these 2 different approaches from the ground up. I actually own both a Lightning and the RT1. Theye are totally different animals. The F150 is an electrified truck that is done really well, the Rivian is definitely a more refined/sports car experience--with many more thoughtful elements.
My .02
MJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts