Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already owned a Thule Rocket that went on the top of my 4runner. Its ski season so I went to install it on the rails on the truck bed. It does not fit. The front hits the back window preventing it from seating properly. It's about 2 inches too long.

Any ideas on how to make this work out. It seems like this is another case of engineers with great ideas not taking into account real world usability. I guess there is a reason most rack systems are on tracks. Even two mounting options per rail would have been helpful.

Any ideas would be great.

· Registered
8 Posts
out of interest, as I also have a roof box I was planning on using on the truck bed rails. What is the distance from the center of the front cross mount to the rear window? I can't seem to find that anywhere.

· Super Moderator
572 Posts
I already owned a Thule Rocket that went on the top of my 4runner. Its ski season so I went to install it on the rails on the truck bed. It does not fit. The front hits the back window preventing it from seating properly. It's about 2 inches too long.

Any ideas on how to make this work out. It seems like this is another case of engineers with great ideas not taking into account real world usability. I guess there is a reason most rack systems are on tracks. Even two mounting options per rail would have been helpful.

Any ideas would be great.
Edit: typo/edit
Same situation, but a Thule Force in my case, which needs about 24" from the front crossbar to the cab window Though I don't yet have my Rivian, I actually posted a similar question on the forum a few weeks ago, and learned that the distance available is only about 14" so it will not fit

The solution would be some sort of adapter for the crossbars that moves the attachment for the cargo box back some distance, in my case about 10". You could do this simply, though inelegantly, by attaching a rectangular piece of 3/4" exterior plywood to the crossbars, long enough to accommodate the offset needed by the box. The plywood would have its own crossbars attached to the top surface, offset to the rear the appropriate distance (10" for my Thule), and the cargo box would clamp on to these.

Since the R1T will not be in my driveway for another 24 months (it's a Max), there's plenty of time to work out some other more elegant designs.

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info I'll measure my roofbox to see it it fits. To some extent I can put the contents of the roofbox in the gear tunnel, so may not really be an issue. I know I can also move the attachment points on the roofbox back and forward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts