Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Another question...I checked the forums for some answers and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

For those of you that have ceramic coated/tinted the windows, have you had any problem with toll transponders communicating effectively? I know with older teslas they recommended the license plate transponder. I'm looking into getting a clear ceramic coating on the windshield to help keep heat levels down but was just wondering about the transponder.

Secondly, what's the final verdict on the roof? It comes UV coated but a lot of people are saying it still lets heat in. I'm wondering if a clear ceramic coating on the roof would help too. Anyone have any experience either way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Any chance that the installer could leave an area un-tinted on the windshield? I would imagine they probably don't tint the camera apertures, perhaps they could leave a similar cut-out around the rearview mirror where you could stick your transponder? But also, ceramic is non-metallic so I'm not sure it would really impact toll transponders anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tinted both roof and windshield with clear ceramic and have had no issues with tolls so far. It is noticeably cooler with the ceramic tint on. I went with a medium dark ceramic for the rest of the windows.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any chance that the installer could leave an area un-tinted on the windshield? I would imagine they probably don't tint the camera apertures, perhaps they could leave a similar cut-out around the rearview mirror where you could stick your transponder? But also, ceramic is non-metallic so I'm not sure it would really impact toll transponders anyway.
I'll definitely ask, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tinted both roof and windshield with clear ceramic and have had no issues with tolls so far. It is noticeably cooler with the ceramic tint on. I went with a medium dark ceramic for the rest of the windows.
Can you please comment on the following.
1. where you did it?
2. Cost of total tinting you paid
3. is it legal to do tint on windshield? ( which state is you are living ), not sure about California as I am living in California.

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tinted windshield with 50% Lumar spectro ceramic... I was worried it would be too dark, I originally wanted 70%... Then I asked the tint professional what he would do if the R1T was his... he said 50% windshield because it has better IR reduction than 70%, I did 30% on all the side windows including back seat windows, and 15% on the back window... I didn't do the roof yet, but may later down the road.
I was really worried about how dark it was going to be, especially driving at night... No issue at all, can barely tell the windshield is tinted from the inside, and the heat reduction is substantial, the super dark back window is no issue because of the backup camera is used more than the over the shoulder peek.
I feel like Florida is an excellent testing ground for ceramic tint and it has made a HUGE difference in my cool down time.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

1 - 7 of 7 Posts