Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very conflicted on whether to get the 20" All-Terrain on the R1S LE or the 22" Sport. I am told that the wider the tire, the lesser the efficiency and range, so I configured it with the All-Terrain, but I like the look of the sport rims a lot better. How much efficiency do we lose by switching between the 2? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am very conflicted on whether to get the 20" All-Terrain on the R1S LE or the 22" Sport. I am told that the wider the tire, the lesser the efficiency and range, so I configured it with the All-Terrain, but I like the look of the sport rims a lot better. How much efficiency do we lose by switching between the 2? Thoughts?
Here are the Rivian Wheel/Tire options from the Pirelli Press Release:

20": 275/65R20 Dimensions: Diameter: 34.1" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 7" Circumference: 107", Revs/Mile 592
21": 275/55R21 Dimensions: Diameter: 32.9" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 6" Circumference: 103.3", Revs/Mile 613
The 22" tires are not specified in the press release, So I assumed the below:
22": 275/45R22 Dimensions: Diameter: 31.7" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 4.9" Circumference: 99.7", Revs/Mile 636

Based on the above, the width is the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the Rivian Wheel/Tire options from the Pirelli Press Release:

20": 275/65R20 Dimensions: Diameter: 34.1" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 7" Circumference: 107", Revs/Mile 592
21": 275/55R21 Dimensions: Diameter: 32.9" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 6" Circumference: 103.3", Revs/Mile 613
The 22" tires are not specified in the press release, So I assumed the below:
22": 275/45R22 Dimensions: Diameter: 31.7" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 4.9" Circumference: 99.7", Revs/Mile 636

Based on the above, the width is the same.
I chatted with a Rivian customer service agent and this is what they said

"Assuming your vehicle has the Large battery pack, the 21" wheel/tire combo will achieve more than 300 miles of range. We are currently completing our EPA certification on all of our tire options and will publish more detailed range numbers once complete."

Also, she recommended not changing anything now if you picked the LE, coz you will not be able to select that anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is what I see on Rivian.com

Our 20" forged wheels have all-terrain tires for enhanced off-road capability. Our 21" wheels feature all-season tires for the best range. Our 22" wheels come with all-season performance tires and deliver the best on-road handling.
Based on Rivian website looks like 21" would get the best range but I am personally going with 22" since 21" is a unique tire size and may have limited options when it comes to replacing tires. Also I will be primarily using it on road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad someone brought this up. I think the 21" hits a sweet spot between on-road vs.off-road performance. That plus the increased range is enticing. The only problem is that (in my opinion) it is by far the ugliest wheel design/option. My wife and I even photoshoped our final configuration with the 21" painted black to see if it was more bearable. Wish the 22" design came in a 21" as well but oh well.

The other concern I had was reading the Pirelli Scorpian tires (21" & 22") are good for "light snow" driving which is less than comforting for us here in Colorado.

Is anyone else having the same concerns?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I assume 22 are the Grippy ones which are designed for snow (PIRELLI SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON: THE “GRIPPY” TIRE)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I assume 22 are the Grippy ones which are designed for snow (PIRELLI SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON: THE “GRIPPY” TIRE)
Grippy in this case is performance on dry pavement. I think they should have avoided 21” all together, it’s an odd size. Should have offered a 20” standard all season instead. That’s really my only complaint. I’d like to see the 21” in person and understand the range hit to going with 22” before finalizing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad someone brought this up. I think the 21" hits a sweet spot between on-road vs.off-road performance. That plus the increased range is enticing. The only problem is that (in my opinion) it is by far the ugliest wheel design/option. My wife and I even photoshoped our final configuration with the 21" painted black to see if it was more bearable. Wish the 22" design came in a 21" as well but oh well.

The other concern I had was reading the Pirelli Scorpian tires (21" & 22") are good for "light snow" driving which is less than comforting for us here in Colorado.

Pic of the photoshop? The 21” will be better in the snow but I think you should consider snow tires. 22” will definitely be compromised as it’s a dry pavement oriented performance all season tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMG-6246_1.jpg
IMG-6245.jpg

This is what we whipped up for the 21" dipped in black if you wanted to see it. I looked further into the 3 tire options (Scorpion All Terrain+, Verde, and Zero). The Zero is on the 22" and it looks manageable in snow but not ideal given the short sidewall. The 20" All terrain+ seems best for snow but that's just a lot of tire for us at 99% on-road usage. Still undecided.
Anyone else in this situation? Live in the city but need something that can get up a Mtn pass when its dumping snow? What wheels are you going with?

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 956 View attachment 955

This is what we whipped up for the 21" dipped in black if you wanted to see it. I looked further into the 3 tire options (Scorpion All Terrain+, Verde, and Zero). The Zero is on the 22" and it looks manageable in snow but not ideal given the short sidewall. The 20" All terrain+ seems best for snow but that's just a lot of tire for us at 99% on-road usage. Still undecided.
Anyone else in this situation? Live in the city but need something that can get up a Mtn pass when its dumping snow? What wheels are you going with?
Those look decent in black. Are chains allowed in your area? Could carry those as a backup. The 20” or 22” give you other tire options. You’re stuck with the pirellis for 21” wheels which is a detriment. I think the verde tires are well rated but having options is nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I feel the same I opted for the 20 because they look better but was thinking of adding the 21 as extra and swap them out, already have to buy at least one for spare anyway what’s three more 😂? Long way up I think they used the 20 inch I’d be curious about the efficiency numbers to see if it’s worth it, could always over inflate... but that would eat tread life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve decided to switch from the 22” to the 20”. Next obstacle will be (hopefully) getting Rivian to allow us to order the R1T 20” wheel on an R1S. I MUCH prefer the aesthetics of the R1T LE 20” wheel to the R1S LE 20s.
is anyone else thinking of doing the same?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts