Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
I’m in the Rocky Mountains. My plan is to get the 20” AT tires and see how they do. I’m hopeful that they will be adequate for my needs. I also carry tire chains in case I get into some really bad stuff.

If the Pirelli’s don’t perform well in snow or offroad, then I’ll likely swap them out for Durotracs or KO2’s - both of which I’ve had great experience with in snow and mud. Now what that does to energy efficiency, hopefully I won’t need to find out!

I’ve heard great things about Blizzacks, although I’ve never used them. But I know lots of people who have, and they rave about them. Especially on “road warrior” (vs. offroad) cars. They look to me to be more specialized for snow, and would not do near as well in offroad or mud situations.

Reactions: DKSki

·
Registered
139 Posts
Something to keep in mind. Just because the tire size matches does not mean it will hold up to the extra weight of the battery pack. When I was doing some quick research it was leading me to tires for the Ford F250 and F350 ( Ford's heavier duty trucks) not their F150. I am hoping that once the several Electric trucks coming start actually hitting the street for real, Tire manufacturers will wake up and start offering tires that will 'fit' on these vehicles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I plan to take my AT tires off my 20" wheels and swap them with eco friendly all-season tires. I did a little research and found that a 275/60R20 tire closely matches what the most efficient 21" wheel specs are. By no means am I am expert on areo and EV motors but it seems like more sidewall is better and there's a sweet spot for tire revolutions per mile.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I plan to take my AT tires off my 20" wheels and swap them with eco friendly all-season tires. I did a little research and found that a 275/60R20 tire closely matches what the most efficient 21" wheel specs are. By no means am I am expert on areo and EV motors but it seems like more sidewall is better and there's a sweet spot for tire revolutions per mile. View attachment 1090 View attachment 1091
Same, except I'm thinking I'll just use up the first set of ATs to get a sense of the feel, sound, and mileage (they could easily last me for a couple of years with my minimal driving, even though their mileage is generally 25% less than street tires), and then buy a second set of wheels if I want to have both available so that I can swap them in the driveway. Agree on the taller sidewall. Unless I'm tossing the vehicle around on a track then the taller sidewall will be noticeably more comfortable, and frankly, IMO, look better.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Some information from Rivian I was given today
Cool Stuff
Pirelli’s 275/65R20 off-road tire, the Scorpion All Terrain Plus, was also specifically developed for the R1T and R1S with electric adventure in mind. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is Pirelli's On-/Off- Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for drivers of pickup trucks, crossovers, and SUVs who want a balanced blend of on-road civility with off-road capability. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is designed with a focus on optimizing durability, traction, and wear resistance, in addition to providing snow traction: it gained indeed the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is molded into a symmetric, high-void pattern. This pattern is designed to provide smooth and quiet on-road operation along with aggressive looks and confident off-road traction. Deep grooves and independent tread blocks help provide the clawing action needed to find grip in loose terrain, and conical stone ejectors resist punctures by forcing small rocks from the tread.

In this case, the challenge to create a dedicated version of these tires for Rivian has been to match their low rolling resistance targets with the off-road applications of the Scorpion All Terrain. To achieve this result, Pirelli’s engineers designed a dedicated mold in order to reduce the weight of the tire, adding then a special compound for light trucks that made the tires more resistant to cuts and lacerations.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve decided to switch from the 22” to the 20”. Next obstacle will be (hopefully) getting Rivian to allow us to order the R1T 20” wheel on an R1S. I MUCH prefer the aesthetics of the R1T LE 20” wheel to the R1S LE 20s.
is anyone else thinking of doing the same?
View attachment 958
I'm torn between the S and the T right now, leaning toward the T, and one of the reasons why is that I prefer the T's 20" wheels so much more. That, plus being able to carry a full-size spare, extra towing capacity, and not having a 5 seat config available in the LE. Let me know if you get them to allow you to sub the T's 20" wheels!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same, except I'm thinking I'll just use up the first set of ATs to get a sense of the feel, sound, and mileage (they could easily last me for a couple of years with my minimal driving, even though their mileage is generally 25% less than street tires), and then buy a second set of wheels if I want to have both available so that I can swap them in the driveway. Agree on the taller sidewall. Unless I'm tossing the vehicle around on a track then the taller sidewall will be noticeably more comfortable, and frankly, IMO, look better.
I’m wondering where you get this 25% value? That seems high to me. I own a 2016 model s 90d. I run the oem Michelin street tires in the summer and the Michelin x-ice in the winter. This is obviously anecdotal, but seems like a pretty fair comparison between tires built for efficiency and tires built for traction. I have 2 sets of identical wheels. I have found almost no drop off in range between the street tires and the much softer/grippier winter tires. I’m sure there will be some drop off in range between the 21’s and 20 a/t’s, but 25% seems quite large to me. I have configured my R1T with the 20 a/t’s.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m wondering where you get this 25% value? That seems high to me. I own a 2016 model s 90d. I run the oem Michelin street tires in the summer and the Michelin x-ice in the winter. This is obviously anecdotal, but seems like a pretty fair comparison between tires built for efficiency and tires built for traction. I have 2 sets of identical wheels. I have found almost no drop off in range between the street tires and the much softer/grippier winter tires. I’m sure there will be some drop off in range between the 21’s and 20 a/t’s, but 25% seems quite large to me. I have configured my R1T with the 20 a/t’s.
Man, I wished you'd called me on that 3 months ago, because I can't find anything online now justifying that 25% value. I'd say I meant 2 point 5 percent, but I almost always round off, so ... I dunno.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man, I wished you'd called me on that 3 months ago, because I can't find anything online now justifying that 25% value. I'd say I meant 2 point 5 percent, but I almost always round off, so ... I dunno.
Haha...not meaning to call you out. Just hoping that value isn’t accurate. The major reason I’m buying the R1T is for the extra range vs our S. Now I’m stressing that I may need to buy the 21’s, but I love the 20’s. But if the 25% is accurate, then my max pack won’t provide much range benefit vs our S.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Haha...not meaning to call you out. Just hoping that value isn’t accurate. The major reason I’m buying the R1T is for the extra range vs our S. Now I’m stressing that I may need to buy the 21’s, but I love the 20’s. But if the 25% is accurate, then my max pack won’t provide much range benefit vs our S.
Yeah, everything I could find online today said in the (rounding off) 3% range at worst. There's been a lot of work in the last few years to make the rolling friction of even the all-terrain tires very low. Seeing as Pirelli supposedly specially developed these tires for an EV I'd have to think they'd have at worst in the same minimal range loss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve decided to switch from the 22” to the 20”. Next obstacle will be (hopefully) getting Rivian to allow us to order the R1T 20” wheel on an R1S. I MUCH prefer the aesthetics of the R1T LE 20” wheel to the R1S LE 20s.
is anyone else thinking of doing the same?
View attachment 958
Where is this photo from. these wheels are slightly different than what is shown on the configuration page and other photos. Its a small thing but this wheel has a nice void between the spokes that/lug nuts where as the one on the website has that area filled in and IMO doesn't look nearly as nice.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Where is this photo from. these wheels are slightly different than what is shown on the configuration page and other photos. Its a small thing but this wheel has a nice void between the spokes that/lug nuts where as the one on the website has that area filled in and IMO doesn't look nearly as nice. View attachment 2296
Welcome to the forum @bmedfo1!

Those wheel would be the 20" All-Terrain set without the carbon fiber inserts.

20" All-Terrain wheels with inserts.

·
Registered
814 Posts
AFAIK, Rivian is not going to release inserts for the 20” wheels. They played around with some designs, but ultimately only the 21” are expected to have inserts.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
AFAIK, Rivian is not going to release inserts for the 20” wheels. They played around with some designs, but ultimately only the 21” are expected to have inserts.
That's a better way to go about it. I get it makes the wheels more aerodynamic but how many going for the all-terrain wheels even care about that, especially when the rest of the wheel/tire package isn't helping?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I suppose inserts can help those of us in cold weather climates keep snow out of the wheels. If you've had snow build up inside wheels, you'll know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good point... I don't know. If the inserts went all the way around it would likely be better.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts