Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad someone brought this up. I think the 21" hits a sweet spot between on-road vs.off-road performance. That plus the increased range is enticing. The only problem is that (in my opinion) it is by far the ugliest wheel design/option. My wife and I even photoshoped our final configuration with the 21" painted black to see if it was more bearable. Wish the 22" design came in a 21" as well but oh well.

The other concern I had was reading the Pirelli Scorpian tires (21" & 22") are good for "light snow" driving which is less than comforting for us here in Colorado.

Is anyone else having the same concerns?
Yes, trying to figure out the same thing for the weekend trips to go skiing in Colorado. 21, or 22 - that is the question. Or 20, because ethe options for snows is much greater (and cheaper)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I posted in another thread but this thread seems more pertinent... I'm the odd duck who is going with the 21's... I may even black them out with plastidip.
99.9% of my driving will be city and Florida highways.... for the price of the 20 or 22 upgrade, I will be able to put on another full set 21's and have change left over.... By the end of that cycle there will be a lot more to choose from as far as wheels and tires from aftermarket sources.
Here is the replacement cost of the 21"
Tire Product Automotive tire Wheel Tread

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 956 View attachment 955

This is what we whipped up for the 21" dipped in black if you wanted to see it. I looked further into the 3 tire options (Scorpion All Terrain+, Verde, and Zero). The Zero is on the 22" and it looks manageable in snow but not ideal given the short sidewall. The 20" All terrain+ seems best for snow but that's just a lot of tire for us at 99% on-road usage. Still undecided.
Anyone else in this situation? Live in the city but need something that can get up a Mtn pass when its dumping snow? What wheels are you going with?
Hi There! I just placed my order and included the standard 21" wheels. I like them in black how you photoshopped....Could you please share some side view images of this SUV with the same black wheels? We are thinking of getting these 21" standard wheels and having them painted in satin black. I just found out the Aero caps can also be removed.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hi There! I just placed my order and included the standard 21" wheels. I like them in black how you photoshopped....Could you please share some side view images of this SUV with the same black wheels? We are thinking of getting these 21" standard wheels and having them painted in satin black. I just found out the Aero caps can also be removed.
Welcome to the forum @KP1! did you consider the 20 or 22 inch black wheels at all? Or are you set on the 21s?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum @KP1! did you consider the 20 or 22 inch black wheels at all? Or are you set on the 21s?
R99, That is a great question. I have spent so much time researching this vehicle the past weeks and the topic of wheels/tires just keeps popping back in my head..... No question about it, the 20s or 22s in black may be more appealing from an aesthetic standpoint but right on the front page of the RS1 website they give the limitations of the 20s and 22s which makes me balk at the idea. The tires on the 20s are great for the offroad because of the tire tread but not ideal for the highway etc. Also 99% of my driving will be city and highway driving and the 21s will ....or should I say should feel and drive better on the road + get more mileage etc. 22s in black are about a $3,500 upgrade and not ideal for the all season environment :cry: I have had wheels painted in satin black in the past (about $1,000 for a set of 4 by a shop) which is what I am leaning towards...... I would love for someone or Charlie_5280 to show the standard wheels in all black. I think that will get more users to go towards that wheel as well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
@KP1 any concerns about how the different sizes will change ride quality?
eHauler, Absolutely. Wheel size not only affects an SUVs performance but it also has an impact on noise levels, comfort and fuel/battery economy.

Here is some information from Rivian Customer Service I shared in another forum:

....."2. If you were to remove the aero caps on the 21” Road wheels, it would have a negligible effect on the range. For comparison, current estimates show a range reduction of 5-10% for the 22" Sport wheels and a range reduction of 10-15% for 20" All-Terrain wheels.

3. Our recommendation is to find the wheel and tire package that fits your lifestyle the best! The 21” Road wheels will provide you with the best range efficiency and come wrapped in an all-season tire. The 20” Terrain wheels are the best option for the adventurous off-roader looking to take on extreme conditions, but they are less range efficient. The 22” Sport wheels are built for performance and specialize in on-road handling and grip around curves. These different options all have special features, and it comes down to user preference."

My thoughts are that the 20" wheel/tire set will have a slightly "rougher ride/louder ride mainly because there is a lot of rubber on the 20" which is designed for the offroad. The 22" are massive and out here in the east coast, we have a lot of potholes, uneven roads which will be more felt with the 22s.....and personally... I don't want to have as a harsh ride which is why I will not go with 22s. Don't get me wrong, the 22" look great but I am trying to keep noise levels down to the minimum, increase comfort level, and maximize battery mileage.....so I keep getting back to the 21", especially knowing that removing the aero caps will have negligible effect on range.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The 20's were purposefully built for this application and all the feedback to date has been that the noise levels are low. Also, see below:

PIRELLI SCORPION ALL TERRAIN: THE OFF-ROAD TIRE

Pirelli’s 275/65R20 off-road tire, the Scorpion All Terrain Plus, was also specifically developed for the R1T and R1S with electric adventure in mind.

The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is Pirelli's On-/Off- Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for drivers of pickup trucks, crossovers, and SUVs who want a balanced blend of on-road civility with off-road capability. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is designed with a focus on optimizing durability, traction and wear resistance, in addition to providing snow traction: it gained indeed the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is molded into a symmetric, high-void pattern. This pattern is designed to provide smooth and quiet on-road operation along with aggressive looks and confident off-road traction. Deep grooves and independent tread blocks help provide the clawing action needed to find grip in loose terrain, and conical stone ejectors resist punctures by forcing small rocks from the tread.

In this case, the challenge to create a dedicated version of these tires for Rivian has been to match their low rolling resistance targets with the off-road applications of the Scorpion All Terrain.

To achieve this result, Pirelli’s engineers designed a dedicated mold in order to reduce the weight of the tire, adding then a special compound for light trucks that made the tires more resistant to cuts and lacerations.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts