Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have almost 9k miles on my Rivian and my fronts are already worn to 4 and 5/32 and rears are 7/32 (they are doing tire rotation in a few days - SC previously told me at 7500 it's not needed...doh)

It seems we won't get much life out of these 21's and replacing them with the same ones again since that's the only option available, is a bit annoying. I called Pirelli and they have no mileage warranty on these, so it doesn't matter how fast they wear out, it's not covered...

So I'm wondering, any ideas on what my options are? I mostly drive on the street so I would like to maintain decent efficiency. I could go to 20" AT's, but I don't think they would last much more nor would the price be any better. I've seen people getting custom 20" wheels...I wonder if there are 20" all-season tires that would be similar efficiency as the 21's?

Any suggestions?

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not the Pirelli tires, it is the nature of a heavy EV.

My Tesla eats tires as well usually only getting 25-30k on 50k tires. Tried different brands but pretty much all the same.
Yeah, I get that. I also had a lot of Tesla's and usually got at least 25k out of them. But at the rate I'm eating up these tires, it seems I won't even get 20k out of them.

· Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, I get that. I also had a lot of Tesla's and usually got at least 25k out of them. But at the rate I'm eating up these tires, it seems I won't even get 20k out of them.

Is the wear consistent across the tread surface? If not you may well have an alignment issue.

That being said: the only Pirelli I would ever buy is their Sottozero which is a decent winter tyre for high performance vehicles if there's no Michelin available.

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the wear consistent across the tread surface? If not you may well have an alignment issue.

That being said: the only Pirelli I would ever buy is their Sottozero which is a decent winter tyre for high performance vehicles if there's no Michelin available.
yes, it is even across but just more wear on front than the rear, so rotating will at least help prolong the tires slightly.

if I'm not mistaken, for the R1T, the Pirelli's that come stock are the only tire options at the moment. If there are other tire options, I would definitely be interested in looking at those too, but I figured I had to change wheels to look at any other possible tire options.

· Registered
3 Posts
That is interesting. I'm at 8/32" on my 20" AT after 13k miles. They seem to be the best wearing between the three based on several comments. I do rotate at 6k miles and expecting 30k miles per set.

· Registered
79 Posts
yes, it is even across but just more wear on front than the rear, so rotating will at least help prolong the tires slightly.

if I'm not mistaken, for the R1T, the Pirelli's that come stock are the only tire options at the moment. If there are other tire options, I would definitely be interested in looking at those too, but I figured I had to change wheels to look at any other possible tire options.
I did some tire shopping in anticipation of delivery of my R1S. It's a ways out but I thought I'd look.

Take a look at the website for Discount Tires/America's Tires (same company, different name by region). They're showing Michelins as potential replacement tires for 21" Rivian wheels.

· Registered
522 Posts
It’s a 800hp >7000 lb truck. It will eat tires no matter what. If you really want longer tire life could go to a 10 ply LT but the trade off is ride quality will go to crap. When my wife had a cayenne turbo she went through her first set of tires before the first oil change…. We had it for 3 years and put 3 sets of tires on it.

· Registered
789 Posts
Re: "Pirelli's crappy warranty"

Pirelli has a good warranty, just like all other major tire manufacturers. And just like all other major tire manufacturers that I know of, the tires that come with your new vehicle are not covered by the tire manufacturer's warranty. That's been true of every car I've ever purchased.
I called Pirelli and they have no mileage warranty on these, so it doesn't matter how fast they wear out, it's not covered...
That's solely because they came with the car. From Pirelli's warranty page linked above:
CONDITIONS
- The tires are replacement tires (Mileage Warranty does not apply to Original Equipment Tires).
If you buy that same set of 4 Pirelli Rivian tires from a tire dealer and have them installed, those 4 replacement tires ARE covered by the warranty. 50,000 miles in this case. There have been many posts from many EV owners (including Rivian owners) who have had no problems getting a warranty credit for Pirelli tires if they wear out in less than 50k miles - again with the caveat that we're not talking about the tires that came with the car, but with tires purchased from an authorized Pirelli dealer as replacements. Pirellis are used on many EVs, and many other performance vehicles, and they honor their warranty.

· Registered
R1S LE in LE Green & Forest Edge (8/14/2019 Preorder) Oct-Dec 2022 Arrival
228 Posts
So I have almost 9k miles on my Rivian and my fronts are already worn to 4 and 5/32 and rears are 7/32 (they are doing tire rotation in a few days - SC previously told me at 7500 it's not needed...doh)

It seems we won't get much life out of these 21's and replacing them with the same ones again since that's the only option available, is a bit annoying. I called Pirelli and they have no mileage warranty on these, so it doesn't matter how fast they wear out, it's not covered...

So I'm wondering, any ideas on what my options are? I mostly drive on the street so I would like to maintain decent efficiency. I could go to 20" AT's, but I don't think they would last much more nor would the price be any better. I've seen people getting custom 20" wheels...I wonder if there are 20" all-season tires that would be similar efficiency as the 21's?

Any suggestions?
Buy a Prius—less HP and lighter. I had the same wake up call with my S8 plus—about $2K a year in tires.

· Registered
670 Posts
There are tons of tire options for the 20”
Good to know. The conversation was making me think the Rivian had limited tire selection.

I want two. An Xice like option for Winter. And a quiet range extender with good wet traction for Summer. The OEM tire on the Tesla was mediocre so I went Xice and Vredentstein HiTech for a good combo.

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: "Pirelli's crappy warranty"

Pirelli has a good warranty, just like all other major tire manufacturers. And just like all other major tire manufacturers that I know of, the tires that come with your new vehicle are not covered by the tire manufacturer's warranty. That's been true of every car I've ever purchased.

That's solely because they came with the car. From Pirelli's warranty page linked above:

If you buy that same set of 4 Pirelli Rivian tires from a tire dealer and have them installed, those 4 replacement tires ARE covered by the warranty. 50,000 miles in this case. There have been many posts from many EV owners (including Rivian owners) who have had no problems getting a warranty credit for Pirelli tires if they wear out in less than 50k miles - again with the caveat that we're not talking about the tires that came with the car, but with tires purchased from an authorized Pirelli dealer as replacements. Pirellis are used on many EVs, and many other performance vehicles, and they honor their warranty.
That's interesting. I hope that is the case since I actually called Pirelli directly and they told me the Scorpions do not have any mileage warranty regardless of whether it came new on the car or purchased later on.

· Registered
R1S LE in LE Green & Forest Edge (8/14/2019 Preorder) Oct-Dec 2022 Arrival
228 Posts
Good to know. The conversation was making me think the Rivian had limited tire selection.

I want two. An Xice like option for Winter. And a quiet range extender with good wet traction for Summer. The OEM tire on the Tesla was mediocre so I went Xice and Vredentstein HiTech for a good combo.
I agree and realized long ago that this is the only real solution—to throw money at the problem of ideal tires for each season.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts