Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of folks swear by F-150s or a Toyota Tacoma. I'm curious what the best truck you've ever owned is and why.

Honestly, I'm new to trucks... so just trying to figure all this out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 2004 crew cab Toyota Tundra I really liked. It was somewhat smaller than the current version of the Toyota Tundra, which was a good size - modern full size pickups are a little too big for a lot of situations, including parking. It had a really good ride for a full size pickup and a comfortable interior. I also liked that it had a simple straightforward exterior design, no attempt to be butch looking like most current full size pickups. I've also had a Ford F150 and driven Chevy Silverados quite a bit. I've test driven a Honda Ridgeline and liked the ride quality. I'm excited about all the features of the R1T and especially the electric aspect, but the two big questions in my mind are ride quality and build quality. I'm assuming the latter will be good but the ride quality is hard to predict. Teslas are known for being very stiff and I do not want that - as an older guy pushing 60 with a back that feels every bump, I want a smoother ride!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had two chevrolet avalanche. one 2007 that i traded in 2017 for a 2013. both very happy and very minimal issues

·
Registered
22 Posts
I grew up with a mid 70’s era Toyota— 2 seats and pretty indestructible. Great truck. After college, I got a Toyota SR5— the big innovation was the “extra cab” with the reverse swing mini rear door and jump seats in back. Also a great small truck, with no real issues over my 10 years of ownership.

Moved on to an F-150 4-Door so I could fit 2 car seats and a booster for the kids in the 90’s. It was a capable, fun truck. I liked the full size, but it had so many recalls and safety issues over 8 years, I had to get rid of it because my wife didn’t trust it anymore.

Currently have a 2013 Honda Ridgeline that has been great. Great ride, pulls 5,500 lbs, good storage under the rear seat, HUGE storage in a waterproof and lockable compartment under the bed— love that. Innovative tailgate that opens as normal, but also swings open like a door hinged on the left so you can get closer to the bed (and the in bed storage compartment). Haven’t had any serious issues.

So, my vote would be for the Ridgeline because of the innovative features, great ride, and storage— many of the same things I’m excited for on the R1T. Although not having the 180 degree folding option on the tailgate for the Launch Edition is disappointing... especially if I use the in bed storage for anything other than the spare tire.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes and so many people talk to me about my truck. it is so versatile yet robust.
In many ways its the best "utility vehicle" concept. All the space for a family yet all the practicality of a truck.

Hummer used to make something like that as well. Always loved the look of that thing.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I grew up with a mid 70’s era Toyota— 2 seats and pretty indestructible. Great truck. After college, I got a Toyota SR5— the big innovation was the “extra cab” with the reverse swing mini rear door and jump seats in back. Also a great small truck, with no real issues over my 10 years of ownership.

Moved on to an F-150 4-Door so I could fit 2 car seats and a booster for the kids in the 90’s. It was a capable, fun truck. I liked the full size, but it had so many recalls and safety issues over 8 years, I had to get rid of it because my wife didn’t trust it anymore.

Currently have a 2013 Honda Ridgeline that has been great. Great ride, pulls 5,500 lbs, good storage under the rear seat, HUGE storage in a waterproof and lockable compartment under the bed— love that. Innovative tailgate that opens as normal, but also swings open like a door hinged on the left so you can get closer to the bed (and the in bed storage compartment). Haven’t had any serious issues.

So, my vote would be for the Ridgeline because of the innovative features, great ride, and storage— many of the same things I’m excited for on the R1T. Although not having the 180 degree folding option on the tailgate for the Launch Edition is disappointing... especially if I use the in bed storage for anything other than the spare tire.
Does the Ridgeline feel enough like a truck with its unibody construction? I'm used to body on frame and more traditional setups and never gave the Ridgeline a serious look, but heard many positive things about them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A Gen 1 Ridgeline is the best truck I've owned. It was ugly, but comfortable, practical, reliable, and was great for hauling dirt and mountain bikes. I loved the lockable trunk. I'd consider buying a new Ridgeline if not for the R1T.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only truck I have ever owned is an escalade ext and am on my second. I really love this truck as it does everything I need. Wonderful on long trips, comfortable and really like the handling. I was sad when cadillac decided to cancel it. It is 2011 with 98,600 plus miles. Only willing to give up to replace with R1T!

·
Registered
641 Posts
A Gen 1 Ridgeline is the best truck I've owned. It was ugly, but comfortable, practical, reliable, and was great for hauling dirt and mountain bikes. I loved the lockable trunk. I'd consider buying a new Ridgeline if not for the R1T.
Glad to know that.
Any improvements you think Honda should include in the next gen Ridgeline?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a gen 1 ridgeline that was awesome. I think I spent $300 on that vehicle in 10 yrs for maintenance and that was only because the monkeys at jiffy lube overtightened my oil pan screw causing it to strip the next oil change. Never had a headlight go out or any mechanicals. Drove it to 110k miles and than gave it to my mom. She's still driving it and its had no issues.

To counter that I went into a 2018 expedition max Limited and have put 31k miles on it in 3 yrs. In that time the transmission has failed 2x. First time had to replace the tranny at 8k. 2nd time was at 30 and the transmission pump gasket failed and I was without a car for 8 days. Giant POS..I would never own another Ford.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts