Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

To date, what's the best truck you've ever owned?

8K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  RITVT 
#1 ·
I know a lot of folks swear by F-150s or a Toyota Tacoma. I'm curious what the best truck you've ever owned is and why.

Honestly, I'm new to trucks... so just trying to figure all this out.

#2 ·
I had a 2004 crew cab Toyota Tundra I really liked. It was somewhat smaller than the current version of the Toyota Tundra, which was a good size - modern full size pickups are a little too big for a lot of situations, including parking. It had a really good ride for a full size pickup and a comfortable interior. I also liked that it had a simple straightforward exterior design, no attempt to be butch looking like most current full size pickups. I've also had a Ford F150 and driven Chevy Silverados quite a bit. I've test driven a Honda Ridgeline and liked the ride quality. I'm excited about all the features of the R1T and especially the electric aspect, but the two big questions in my mind are ride quality and build quality. I'm assuming the latter will be good but the ride quality is hard to predict. Teslas are known for being very stiff and I do not want that - as an older guy pushing 60 with a back that feels every bump, I want a smoother ride!

#5 ·
I grew up with a mid 70’s era Toyota— 2 seats and pretty indestructible. Great truck. After college, I got a Toyota SR5— the big innovation was the “extra cab” with the reverse swing mini rear door and jump seats in back. Also a great small truck, with no real issues over my 10 years of ownership.

Moved on to an F-150 4-Door so I could fit 2 car seats and a booster for the kids in the 90’s. It was a capable, fun truck. I liked the full size, but it had so many recalls and safety issues over 8 years, I had to get rid of it because my wife didn’t trust it anymore.

Currently have a 2013 Honda Ridgeline that has been great. Great ride, pulls 5,500 lbs, good storage under the rear seat, HUGE storage in a waterproof and lockable compartment under the bed— love that. Innovative tailgate that opens as normal, but also swings open like a door hinged on the left so you can get closer to the bed (and the in bed storage compartment). Haven’t had any serious issues.

So, my vote would be for the Ridgeline because of the innovative features, great ride, and storage— many of the same things I’m excited for on the R1T. Although not having the 180 degree folding option on the tailgate for the Launch Edition is disappointing... especially if I use the in bed storage for anything other than the spare tire.

#9 ·
I grew up with a mid 70’s era Toyota— 2 seats and pretty indestructible. Great truck. After college, I got a Toyota SR5— the big innovation was the “extra cab” with the reverse swing mini rear door and jump seats in back. Also a great small truck, with no real issues over my 10 years of ownership.

Moved on to an F-150 4-Door so I could fit 2 car seats and a booster for the kids in the 90’s. It was a capable, fun truck. I liked the full size, but it had so many recalls and safety issues over 8 years, I had to get rid of it because my wife didn’t trust it anymore.

Currently have a 2013 Honda Ridgeline that has been great. Great ride, pulls 5,500 lbs, good storage under the rear seat, HUGE storage in a waterproof and lockable compartment under the bed— love that. Innovative tailgate that opens as normal, but also swings open like a door hinged on the left so you can get closer to the bed (and the in bed storage compartment). Haven’t had any serious issues.

So, my vote would be for the Ridgeline because of the innovative features, great ride, and storage— many of the same things I’m excited for on the R1T. Although not having the 180 degree folding option on the tailgate for the Launch Edition is disappointing... especially if I use the in bed storage for anything other than the spare tire.
Does the Ridgeline feel enough like a truck with its unibody construction? I'm used to body on frame and more traditional setups and never gave the Ridgeline a serious look, but heard many positive things about them.

#11 ·
The only truck I have ever owned is an escalade ext and am on my second. I really love this truck as it does everything I need. Wonderful on long trips, comfortable and really like the handling. I was sad when cadillac decided to cancel it. It is 2011 with 98,600 plus miles. Only willing to give up to replace with R1T!

#13 ·
Best truck I've personally owned was a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali. Fantastic truck. I shouldn't have sold it -- regret that move.

#14 ·
I had a gen 1 ridgeline that was awesome. I think I spent $300 on that vehicle in 10 yrs for maintenance and that was only because the monkeys at jiffy lube overtightened my oil pan screw causing it to strip the next oil change. Never had a headlight go out or any mechanicals. Drove it to 110k miles and than gave it to my mom. She's still driving it and its had no issues.

To counter that I went into a 2018 expedition max Limited and have put 31k miles on it in 3 yrs. In that time the transmission has failed 2x. First time had to replace the tranny at 8k. 2nd time was at 30 and the transmission pump gasket failed and I was without a car for 8 days. Giant POS..I would never own another Ford.

#21 ·
Eeks, some of us do depend on people buying Fords :) ... sadly your experience sounds like you got a bad one! We've had no such luck, even when we've personally owned a 2010 F-150, 2012 F-150, 2017 Lincoln MKZh, 2018 Explorer Ltd, Dad's 1st Expedition, Dad's Fusion, Dad's 2018 Expedition Ltd, Dad's 2020 Explorer Ltd and yet to have any of those same issues. One bad apple to not make the who bushel bad. Sorry about that.

#16 ·
Best truck I ever owned was a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4x4. And it's not even a close competition.

Second best (distant) was a 2013 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4x4.

Worst truck I ever owned was a 2004 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4.
Second worst truck (close) was a 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4.

I've also owned a Tacoma and it was okay. Middle of the pack, really. But that was in the early 2000's. The newer Tacomas are awful, imo. Toyota needs to get their head out of their butt.

#18 ·
Rivian is aluminum body, right? So no need to do rustproofing.

I’ve heard more issues from people who get rustproofing, anyway. Unless it’s a PERFECT seal then it’ll let water in and the coating can actually promote corrosion.

I believe you want to let the vehicle DRY. And when you drive in an area that salts their roads you want to clean the salt off everything (including underside) and let it DRY.

#22 ·
Long-time SUV owner here... (I love sports cars, but if I owned one I would be in jail or dead in a week. So, SUVs are my life insurance policy.)

My first SUV was a red two-door Jeep Cherokee Chief back in the late 80s when I was in college. Looked cool and everyone was jealous, but that thing was a POS. I kept towels in the driver-side storage bin to wipe the rain off the INSIDE of the windshield when it rained. Transmission, clutch, clutch pedal, starter, alternator, battery, rear door... you name it, it broke. After getting my first real job I bought a black Land Rover Discovery Series 1. Loved that thing. Dove it for about 150k miles. Next was a black Land Rover Discovery Series 2, then a black Land Rover LR3. Each one got better and better. Now I drive a black Range Rover Sport, which is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Reliable, stylish, capable, versatile, comfortable, etc. It's the only vehicle I know that looks the part regardless of what you're doing - equally at home off-roading in the mud or going to the opera in a tux. Very few vehicles can do that.

Hope the R1S can top them all...

#25 ·
1987 Toyota 4x4 4cylinder- best truck ever. High school to college off-roading memories will last forever.
1991 Chevy 1500 5-speed 350 V8 no troubles
1998 Chevy Z71 should not of sold it. Great truck; had all sorts of goodies on it
2001 Dodge RAM no troubles (other than a damaged engine bay area when brand new) 11mpg!
2009 GMC Sierra, most expensive, most troublesome truck
2010 F-150, loved it, but did have slight tranny trouble (the 'bump' while driving slow)
2012 F-150 Ecoboost- DANG fast truck, miss it!

Looking for my next truck! (maybe)

#26 ·
1987 Toyota 4x4 4cylinder- best truck ever. High school to college off-roading memories will last forever.
1991 Chevy 1500 5-speed 350 V8 no troubles
1998 Chevy Z71 should not of sold it. Great truck; had all sorts of goodies on it
2001 Dodge RAM no troubles (other than a damaged engine bay area when brand new) 11mpg!
2009 GMC Sierra, most expensive, most troublesome truck
2010 F-150, loved it, but did have slight tranny trouble (the 'bump' while driving slow)
2012 F-150 Ecoboost- DANG fast truck, miss it!

Looking for my next truck! (maybe)
You're definitely not brand loyal... haha!

#27 ·
Well the only truck I ever owned was a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with an extended cab. This was the new body style (1993) and (arguably) the start of the modern full size truck design warfare! Loved the center console flip up seat. The ergonomics were great for a big truck. 2 foot ride height to the bottom of the door sill. This is why I nicknamed it "Goliath". Sadly it was stolen and quickly taken to Mexico and stripped.😔 R.I.P. Goliath.

#30 ·
My first SUV was a 2000 Xterra (first model year). The car had a measly 170 hp from a V6 with an "eventual" 0-60 time but with all-terrain tires, that truck went pretty much anywhere. Looking forward to revisiting some of those off-road trails with a Rivian.

#32 ·
Long time & Multiple Toyota pickup and Tacoma owner here.
8'5 2wd 22RTE Turbo Xcab SR5 5spd
89' 4Runner SR5 V6 5spd
92' 2wd 5spd 4cyl
94' FJ80 Landcruiser (still own this one!)
95.5' 2wd Tacoma 4cyl
98' 2wd Tacoma 4cyl

NOT one regret in ownership and its was to be expected as this era ( Mid 80's thru early 2000's) was Toyota best!

Other trucks I have owned were a 99' F-150 Xcab and a 99' F350 CCDRW. The Dually did everything well except fuel consumption as it was my towing rig nearly every weekend all over the country.

I have a company truck 06' F350 with the 6.0 Powerstroke, its been good but at a tune of $9k in bullet proofing that motor, glad its not my dime...

#36 ·
2006 Nissan Frontier MISMO. Same use as the Rivian will be, it was my adventure truck. Hundreds of mountain biking, camping, hiking, and diving trips. Perfect size for my life at the time (single no kids) and it was bulletproof. Never got stuck, took it everywhere, and it was super flexible.

#37 ·
I grew up with a 1998 F-150 single cab in my family ranch. It’s actually the car that I learned to drive. Never owned a truck myself but I would say it counts so it’s the best, and only truck, I have owned 😁

PS: I am from Brazil and the Brazilian version was called F-1000. Guess they like higher numbers?🤷‍♂️

#38 ·
To date the best truck I ever owned was a 2007 Lincoln Mark LT. Turned heads, drove like a dream.
I have had:
1997 Ford F150 SuperCab (also turned heads but fit and finish didnt match the lincoln)
2003 Honda Pilot (kept for 10 years in family, great SUV)
2007 Lincoln Mark LT (best of the bunch and disappointed they stopped making them)
2015 GMC Sierra Crew Cab (wont buy a GMC again)
2019 Honda Ridgeline (current vehicle)
2023 Rivian R1T (on preorder) and hoping this one is better than the Lincoln!

#39 ·
Best truck I owned was an 06 Silverado 3500. It was a crew cab dually with the Duramax. Towed anything I could ever need. Bought it from a hot shot trailer delivery driver when he got sick and couldn't work anymore. Had high miles, but was well cared for, just dirty. Cleaned it up and it was mostly maintenance free in the time I had it, just tires, and hoses (power steering and trans cooler both started leaking at the same time).

It was also my best vehicle purchase financially speaking (not sure if that is saying much). Was the cheapest Duramax anywhere in the country when I bought it, drove it for 3 years everywhere, and towed many many things, sold it for twice what I bought it for. Had 454k miles when I sold it. Only sold it because we were having kids and my wife wanted a third row, so we replaced both her Forester and the Silverado with a Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L. That is probably my second best "truck", maybe tied with my Avalanche. The Suburban will be sold in the spring to be replaced by the R1T.

#40 ·
1996 Chevy extended cab (broke and traded in at 86k miles)
2000 Ford F150 4x4 supercab (had twins and needed doors at 100k miles)
2005 Ford F150 4x4 supercrew (hit a deer at 75 MPH, neither fared well at 114k miles)
2012 Chevy Silverado 4x4 supercrew CNG conversion (hit 2 deer, hit from behind 3 times, no repairs ever)

I have always believed the F150 was the best truck, but in retrospect I am waiting out the R1T for 2.5 years now and up to 200k miles on the Silverado and it really hasn't broken. I drive it anywhere I want, including off road, pulling an RV, tractor, boat, and utility trailer, dragging crap out of the woods, ran into so many times and it chugs along. Not a believer in Chevy overall, but the 2012 Silverado has been the best.

Here's to the next generation of EV, and leaving ICE behind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.