Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trousers Automotive design Motor vehicle Flooring Floor

Well, after the surprise stock price "adjustment" a couple of days ago raising the expected asking price from $57-$62 to $72-$74 range what are your last second thoughts for after 6pm tonight?

Personally I'm rethinking my earlier $10K "all in" position.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’m following suit with the previous posts. I was all in, registered for MS account, verified bank account. Then I read the Forbes article, talked to a couple financial advisor friends and decided I’d buy a few shares to support the company but not the full 175. Then after reading about the pending lawsuit and the last minute price increase I’ve decided to back out completely.

·
Registered
2014 BMX X5 diesel
22 Posts
I'm in, just at a reduced share count. I planned on purchasing 100 to begin with. Now, it'll likely be 50 and may buy more on the dips (or canyons) moving forward. Given multiples and PE ratios of some of the other stocks in our portfolio, the valuation and share price don't scare me due to the potential long-term outcome (my investing horizon is 20-25 years).

All that said, it's hard to dump $5K+ into the stock right now and my position may still change today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the price adjustment is giving you guys pause - I think stocks are not for you.
Its not just the price adjustment that is giving me pause. Its the general market analysis of the valuation. Its way overblown, for a two-product (three) company that has a lot of internal issues to solve. I am in when the price comes down, which I feel like a reasonable buy price is in the $42-$45 range. That's where I think the bottom is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m passing on the initial offering too. Typically you buy into it if you expect the value to go up when it becomes available to the public, believing you’ll have equity really quickly. In this case I feel like the odds are just as high if not higher that it dips for a while as news of slow deliveries lingers on for several quarters without sufficient positive news and numbers to support the share price. I feel like we will all have the chance to buy at a lower valuation later on.

of course, the stock market isn’t always rational. So it could backfire. But, there are plenty of other stocks to own I don’t feel any fear of missing out on this one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lol, why? Pausing before buying a company at a 20%(ish) higher valuation than what you were initially planning to is a sign you shouldn't buy stocks at all?
I bought into Tesla at $70 - and was told it was over valued for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought into Tesla at $70 - and was told it was over valued for the last 5 years.
I think you’re kidding yourself if you think Rivian stock will be the next Tesla stock. Tesla caught lightning in a bottle, anticipating the movement to EV’s years before the competition. The market for EV’s is much different today, much more competition. I think Rivian has a great chance to be a successful company but their stock is incredible unlikely to follow the Tesla trajectory.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not in it currently for a long-term investment.

When Tesla first came out, I wanted to buy so bad and had no money (I was in college and just basically poor). I had a long discussion with some family who were pretty successful in life and finances prior to Tesla going public. I convinced them to invest in it. Back then, I thought maybe they would put like $10K max into it. I think they put somewhere in the neighborhood of $50K-$100K into it. I asked them originally to stake me in it, and they declined because they didn't want to let money get in between family.

Let me just tell you, that they still have over half of their original stocks, and every year, I get a nice gift from them. They also happen to be just genuinely nice people and also have made some insanely intelligent financial decisions in their life. I can't claim that they wouldn't have made that investment after the fact, but I sheepishly take credit for bringing the opportunity to them. I definitely wouldn't have had the stones to hold the stock for as long as they have. It's just an insane amount of money now. (At least to me)

·
Registered
4 Posts
And this experience in one of the most non-representative examples in a very long time is the sole basis for saying that taking valuation into consideration at all when buying stocks means you probably have no business buying stocks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
And this experience in one of the most non-representative examples in a very long time is the sole basis for saying that taking valuation into consideration at all when buying stocks means you probably have no business buying stocks.
I buy stock in things I like - things I believe and have an interest in. It has made me money over the years. This word 'valuation' keeps getting thrown around - it is meaningless. EV futures are essentially limitless. Boundless room for revenue and profit. For an IPO it's utter guesswork, a matter of getting started on an X/Y axis. I'll buy the IPO and if it tanks I'll double down. When Ford or Tesla or whoever buys out Rivian in the few years it will be worth it (for I feel strongly that is Rivian's most likely outcome).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I buy stock in things I like - things I believe and have an interest in. It has made me money over the years. This word 'valuation' keeps getting thrown around - it is meaningless. EV futures are essentially limitless. Boundless room for revenue and profit. For an IPO it's utter guesswork, a matter of getting started on an X/Y axis. I'll buy the IPO and if it tanks I'll double down. When Ford or Tesla or whoever buys out Rivian in the few years it will be worth it (for I feel strongly that is Rivian's most likely outcome).
Valuation itself is not meaningless -- there's actually a pretty simple way to calculate it. Whether that number corresponds correctly to the current/future price other people are or will be willing to pay for the company, I agree, that's guesswork. But it's incredibly naive to take the approach of "who cares what the price is -- I'll pay whatever and I'm sure it will work out fine because it did with Tesla, and anyone who thinks differently shouldn't be in stocks."

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.