Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of my forest green R1T. Of course I am off the wall excited, who wouldn't be. An hour after the delivery, I hit the close button on the tonneau cover and it jammed in place - it started closing and one side got stuck and it is now at an angle and jammed. There was nothing in the bed at the time that would have interfered with the proper operation of the cover.

Anyone have a similar issue?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
That sucks. Unfortunately there have been several (many?) reports of similar problems. There's another popular Rivian forum where someone posted info on getting to the tonneau mechanism. I can't post a direct link, as that's not kosher... But if you google "rivian diy-tonneau-repairs-anyone-try-to-do-this-yet" you'll find it. If you're feeling adventurous, you can disassemble things and get them working, again.

Otherwise, file a service ticket with Rivian and they will get your tonneau open.

I wish there was a permanent fix... Maybe eventually.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That sucks. Unfortunately there have been several (many?) reports of similar problems. There's another popular Rivian forum where someone posted info on getting to the tonneau mechanism. I can't post a direct link, as that's not kosher... But if you google "rivian diy-tonneau-repairs-anyone-try-to-do-this-yet" you'll find it. If you're feeling adventurous, you can disassemble things and get them working, again.

Otherwise, file a service ticket with Rivian and they will get your tonneau open.

I wish there was a permanent fix... Maybe eventually.
Seriously considering just removing Tonneau cover from my build... such a hassle and not even sure why I want it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seriously considering just removing Tonneau cover from my build... such a hassle and not even sure why I want it...
You can... if u can wait til next year to get your truck. I originally have manual tonneau config until my guide called to offer me one close to my config but with powered tonneau cover. After 3 years of waiting i jumped on the offer. I'll have my truck delivered tomorrow.

Reactions: rodhx

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just took delivery of my forest green R1T. Of course I am off the wall excited, who wouldn't be. An hour after the delivery, I hit the close button on the tonneau cover and it jammed in place - it started closing and one side got stuck and it is now at an angle and jammed. There was nothing in the bed at the time that would have interfered with the proper operation of the cover.

Anyone have a similar issue?
Like this? Yeah. They have to replace it and the rails that were damaged by it.
Hood Gadget Wood Personal luxury car Gas
Netbook Hood Product Grille Gadget
Automotive tire Hood Window Door Automotive exterior

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can... if u can wait til next year to get your truck. I originally have manual tonneau config until my guide called to offer me one close to my config but with powered tonneau cover. After 3 years of waiting i jumped on the offer. I'll have my truck delivered tomorrow.
I changed from manual to automatic tonneau hoping it might make my order move but so far nada... I will sit with it as is for now

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had my truck for 2 months now and have not had any problems yet. I normally leave it closed, but when I need to open, it does seem to work better in the shade. I think the aluminum slats expand when it's hot and in the sun. I hope they can come up with a fix, so we don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After reading many of these similar posts of tonneau trouble I was sure to spray the rails with dry graphite lube on delivery day, right after the Rivian guy left in the flatbed. I plan to regularly apply the graphite in hope it helps avoid the binding issue until the storied revised covers are available. I too normally leave it closed, generally only opening it to demo for folks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I received mine 3 months ago. My tonneau cover stopped fully closing shortly thereafter. Sent the truck to the Service Center for several minor adjustments. The solution to the tonneau hang up was lubrication.
I now open and close the cover multiple times a week and have not experienced any subsequent issues. I plan on lubricating periodically ongoing.

·
Banned
473 Posts
I received mine 3 months ago. My tonneau cover stopped fully closing shortly thereafter. Sent the truck to the Service Center for several minor adjustments. The solution to the tonneau hang up was lubrication.
I now open and close the cover multiple times a week and have not experienced any subsequent issues. I plan on lubricating periodically ongoing.
That’s great for you. But stop and think about the big picture. If the Rivian team had down their homework (years and years of development) they would nit be having this problem. It’s really bad really embarrassing

·
Registered
24 Posts
After reading many of these similar posts of tonneau trouble I was sure to spray the rails with dry graphite lube on delivery day, right after the Rivian guy left in the flatbed. I plan to regularly apply the graphite in hope it helps avoid the binding issue until the storied revised covers are available. I too normally leave it closed, generally only opening it to demo for folks.
Would you be able to share the type / brand graphite lube that is working for you? Spray? Grease? Powder?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts