Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hmm. Are you saying Tesla has a design problem on-a bed cover?

I don’t thing so… Bit Rivian has screwed the pouch here.
Now you’re just being obtuse. I didn’t say Tesla had a tonneau cover. Tesla doesn’t even make a truck, despite their insistance that they would and it’d be out already, and for an impossible price. The joke is Tesla has released many half-baked designs to production and (maybe) cleans them up after the fact. Maybe, because sometimes they don’t and over time the fanbois come to defend the crap, anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My use cases for the bed make the tonneau cover almost entirely unnecessary. I accepted having it as it got us the truck sOOner. I definitely accept that they goofed on this part but the rest of the vehicle is great so far.

I should add that after almost two weeks of ownership the cover still works fine. I just avoid using it as I don’t want it to fail in the closed/partly closed position.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I actually expect that they will redesign the cover some point in the future and retrofit them. Sounds expensive, but so does warranty fixes for all these things for 5 years! Plus, it is a black-eye for them. I will definitely keep it in my config, treat it gently, lube it occasionally and watch for a letter from Rivian. No guarantee that it will happen, but it seems like a decent bet.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
154 Posts
Mine failed in a different way, the panels seem to be higher at the front edge than the back edge. It will only open until the first panel hits the front rail (maybe 5-6 inches) then it stops and makes a loud popping sound. This happened on the third attempt to move it about 5 minutes after the delivery driver left (first 2 were when he was there).

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can... if u can wait til next year to get your truck. I originally have manual tonneau config until my guide called to offer me one close to my config but with powered tonneau cover. After 3 years of waiting i jumped on the offer. I'll have my truck delivered tomorrow.
I like to think my tonneau cover saves me "gas" mileage as it creates a more streamlined surface for the wind to blow over. My spring loaded one on my Hyundai Santa Cruz (wish I had just waited for the Rivian) had to be replaced already as I was using it too much to carry things on top of it. Reviewers were saying it would handle 200 lbs but now I know not to put anything at all up there as the little tabs that slide in the side grooves get bent. Rivians design must be even more flawed with it jamming without any abuse.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
142 Posts
Mine failed in a different way, the panels seem to be higher at the front edge than the back edge. It will only open until the first panel hits the front rail (maybe 5-6 inches) then it stops and makes a loud popping sound. This happened on the third attempt to move it about 5 minutes after the delivery driver left (first 2 were when he was there).
This is what mine does. Since it's gotten warmer, it got worse. It won't even open past the first leaf currently before erroring out. I did find out a couple days ago that if I take a hose and let the water get cold, hose it completely down until the panels feel cool, I could get the cover to go thru calibration. I have been using my truck for deliveries, but after the cover wouldn't open, I couldn't use it for anything larger. Being able to open it after the water treatment gives me hope I can keep using it until the fix it. I did get a response to my month old ticket last week saying they were ready to schedule the change, but when I called back they said I needed to wait until the tech that had my repair order called back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That sucks. Unfortunately there have been several (many?) reports of similar problems. There's another popular Rivian forum where someone posted info on getting to the tonneau mechanism. I can't post a direct link, as that's not kosher... But if you google "rivian diy-tonneau-repairs-anyone-try-to-do-this-yet" you'll find it. If you're feeling adventurous, you can disassemble things and get them working, again.

Otherwise, file a service ticket with Rivian and they will get your tonneau open.

I wish there was a permanent fix... Maybe eventually.
I have read about the problems with this cover more than any other problem. I had decided to order mine without this cover and save a little money as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same problem here. If I push down on the center of the panels as they disappear, I can get it to open nearly all the way.

I really wish Rivian hadn't tried to reinvent the wheel here. I have a PaceEdwards electric tonneau cover on 10 year old Duramax with 250,000+ miles that gets opened and closed several times a day and it's never had a problem. The slats are much narrower, maybe an inch and a half.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As stated in an older post, mine kept breaking whenever operated in the field with any dust or dirt on it. They repaired it once then gave me the option of fixed open or fixed closed (I picked open), and said they’d have a redesigned tonneau for all Launch Editions in the future. We all need to keep calling them and keep the pressure on. I think that will help speed this up. That being said, being able to go anywhere I want without gasoline by far outweighs any minor flaws. I read some of these posts and imagine people on the first ever airplanes complaining about the quality of the snacks offered. You are going where no man has gone before. Put this in perspective.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What I want is the manual cover, but since neither the manual version nor the “No cover” option actually exist at this point I am willing to deal with the powered version & have a truck. I do cringe each time I open the tonneau, but It’s covered under warranty and hopefully the revised version will a big improvement. In the meantime I’ll keep applying dry graphite lube on the tracks and hope that keeps the binding away.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What I want is the manual cover, but since neither the manual version nor the “No cover” option actually exist at this point I am willing to deal with the powered version & have a truck. I do cringe each time I open the tonneau, but It’s covered under warranty and hopefully the revised version will a big improvement. In the meantime I’ll keep applying dry graphite lube on the tracks and hope that keeps the binding away.
If you want the “no cover” option. Just open the cover and leave it open. The only downside is you paid $1500 for it, but you got your truck 6+ months earlier so I’d say that is worth it.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts