Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Rivian last week - was specifically told upon pickup that the cover wasn't functional and working - the "guide" had told me this before and said hey parts are ordered and it'll be fixed in about 3 weeks mobile service will come and fix it.

I get this email today:

As you likely know, there are issues with our powered tonneau cover. While most are operating as intended, many are not.

We want you to know we are aware of the issue and are working on a solution and a process for replacing existing tonneau covers. Right now, no action is required on your part; this is simply a proactive step to let you know we are working hard on this. Our goal is to have a solution early next year. We’ll reach out at that time with next steps.

If your tonneau cover is operating properly, you should continue using it. If you have a service request currently filed for your tonneau cover or experience an issue in the near future, the Rivian Service Team will continue to be your main point of contact. We have interim solutions in place to help with the issue you may be experiencing. We’ve also created this list of FAQs to provide more detail.

We are committed to ensuring our products are incredibly durable. We appreciate all the feedback we receive as it helps make us better

A little confused how a 3 week fix has gone from 3 weeks to 4+ months (if that timeline is to be believed) it's super frustrating as I'm sure it's not high on their priority list at all at this point given getting Trucks/SUVs out the door is a little more important. I'm more frustrated in the process of explicitly being told it was a minor issue and would be resolved in a couple of weeks - months to fix something isn't minor. Anyone else get the run around?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine has worked perfectly since I got my truck at the beginning of April. Working perfectly includes keeping heavy PNW rain out of the bed...so, something to look forward to. I got the same e-mail. Your individual timeline (3 weeks) is one thing; promising a fix for all with issues, that may take a bit longer. Also, btw, I had mobile service for a sensor issue. Worked great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I actually think the email you received is great news. The tonneau cover was a known problem before trucks even began being delivered and this is the first semi definitive notice of a timeline for a permanent fix for all of those affected as far as I know. As all things Rivian, it sounds like the communication could have been a little better in your case but at least you will get a temporizing fix until the roll out of a definitive fix next year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine has worked perfectly since I got my truck at the beginning of April. Working perfectly includes keeping heavy PNW rain out of the bed...so, something to look forward to. I got the same e-mail. Your individual timeline (3 weeks) is one thing; promising a fix for all with issues, that may take a bit longer. Also, btw, I had mobile service for a sensor issue. Worked great.
I spoke w/ the chat agent and they confirmed I'd have to wait until next year so whatever my issue is it falls into that category

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually think the email you received is great news. The tonneau cover was a known problem before trucks even began being delivered and this is the first semi definitive notice of a timeline for a permanent fix for all of those affected as far as I know. As all things Rivian, it sounds like the communication could have been a little better in your case but at least you will get a temporizing fix until the roll out of a definitive fix next year.
That's the problem they aren't going to fix it in the interim as they initially told me they would.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I spoke w/ the chat agent and they confirmed I'd have to wait until next year so whatever my issue is it falls into that category
That seems counter to what was stated in the email:

the Rivian Service Team will continue to be your main point of contact. We have interim solutions in place to help with the issue you may be experiencing.

I’d submit a service request ticket and hope they can get you a temporary fix. Otherwise I agree, it’s a bit frustrating but at least you have your truck! I’m coming up on my 2 year waiting anniversary.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That seems counter to what was stated in the email:

the Rivian Service Team will continue to be your main point of contact. We have interim solutions in place to help with the issue you may be experiencing.

I’d submit a service request ticket and hope they can get you a temporary fix. Otherwise I agree, it’s a bit frustrating but at least you have your truck! I’m coming up on my 2 year waiting anniversary.
“Temporary fix” may simply be forcing the tonneau open and disabling it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine opens, but never fully closes. It thinks it sees some obstacle on the way and partially opens it. If I keep doing, it eventually closes all the way...

Another issue I have is, the car thinks tonneau is opened when it's closed... Sensor must be off somehow..

Anyhow, I was told that they are working on a new solution and will provide the update once available.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Correct. No amount of resetting or rebooting the system will affect the mechanical issues they are experiencing. I had actually 3 panels removed from my partially opened cover so that it is fully open. All my discussions with the Service team seems to point to a more robust, redesigned solution that should work wonderfully. The biggest problem is (wait for it) supply chain issues before parts can get out to us.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I guess we'll see how long it takes - and to be clear don't mean to sound snotty/ungrateful it was just dissapointing to be told one thing and a few days later be told another.
I’m guessing I’d feel different if I’d just plunked down 80k for a truck with broken parts. It’s easy to look past stuff like that when your waiting and it’s isn’t your own money laid out there, at least not yet.

I really feel like Rivian’s weakness is communication and I have faith that they will take care of their customers…..eventually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up my R1T from the factory in Normal yesterday and specifically discussed the tonneau cover issue with my guide. Rivian is aware of the engineering issues and plans to do a full replacement with a comprehensive upgrade that is consistent with the quality of the rest of the truck. The current limiting factor is supplies/ parts. So, If/when my tonneau goes down, I'll happily wait for the real upgrade, instead of duct tape and super glue. Early Adopter tax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up my Rivian last week - was specifically told upon pickup that the cover wasn't functional and working - the "guide" had told me this before and said hey parts are ordered and it'll be fixed in about 3 weeks mobile service will come and fix it.

I get this email today:

As you likely know, there are issues with our powered tonneau cover. While most are operating as intended, many are not.

We want you to know we are aware of the issue and are working on a solution and a process for replacing existing tonneau covers. Right now, no action is required on your part; this is simply a proactive step to let you know we are working hard on this. Our goal is to have a solution early next year. We’ll reach out at that time with next steps.

If your tonneau cover is operating properly, you should continue using it. If you have a service request currently filed for your tonneau cover or experience an issue in the near future, the Rivian Service Team will continue to be your main point of contact. We have interim solutions in place to help with the issue you may be experiencing. We’ve also created this list of FAQs to provide more detail.

We are committed to ensuring our products are incredibly durable. We appreciate all the feedback we receive as it helps make us better

A little confused how a 3 week fix has gone from 3 weeks to 4+ months (if that timeline is to be believed) it's super frustrating as I'm sure it's not high on their priority list at all at this point given getting Trucks/SUVs out the door is a little more important. I'm more frustrated in the process of explicitly being told it was a minor issue and would be resolved in a couple of weeks - months to fix something isn't minor. Anyone else get the run around?
[/QU

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received the same information, the tech came to the house and couldn't fix the problem but did get it in the closed position. He said someone would call and set up the repair in the Brooklyn, NY repair center. Then I got a call from customer service saying cover will need to be replaced and it would probably be the end of this year. Then I received the same email stating early next year. Yes, frustrating. I would hope this would take priority.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I picked up my R1T from the factory in Normal yesterday and specifically discussed the tonneau cover issue with my guide. Rivian is aware of the engineering issues and plans to do a full replacement with a comprehensive upgrade that is consistent with the quality of the rest of the truck. The current limiting factor is supplies/ parts. So, If/when my tonneau goes down, I'll happily wait for the real upgrade, instead of duct tape and super glue. Early Adopter tax.
Congrats on taking your R1T home from the factory @Moodyerdoc! Fingers crossed you don't have issues with your tonneau cover. What spec is your R1T?

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition '22
21 Posts
I received my r1t in June and was given the option of no tonneau (removed by service center) or no truck. i opted for the former. i was told it’d be a matter of weeks for them to deliver the tonneau and the wristband which i haven’t received either. that turned into august and then. eta october. i had a reminder to call them to check in in a few days.

since the tonneau cover is missing a lot of times i get in the truck it prompts me to reset the cover (which of course doesn’t work). given it’s going to be 2023 before we get replacements it’d be a nice software update to get rid of this reminder (you can’t simply dismiss it, but go into settings and then nav back to whatever you were trying to do (typically open the garage door or set some destination in the map)).

overall truck is great. i do clearly feel like as soon as i signed the paperwork i went to the bottom of the priority queue. really glad i haven’t had major issues as i could foresee the service process being a bit trying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts