Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a little surprised to find that the manual tonneau cover is a set of boards you lay in place. Did I misunderstand? The comment I recall about the motorized version was that it was noisy... Wondering about some comments on which one to choose, pictures would be good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was a little surprised to find that the manual tonneau cover is a set of boards you lay in place. Did I misunderstand? The comment I recall about the motorized version was that it was noisy... Wondering about some comments on which one to choose, pictures would be good.
From what I understand you are correct. They slide into the same track as the motorized version but it doesn’t “manually” retract anywhere. You manually slide them out and they can be stored in the gear tunnel.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I’ve been able to play with a few R1Ts over the last couple weeks. All the powered tonneaus I used seemed solid and were not noisy. Yes, they made some noise, but it is not loud 9would not disturb neighbors) and had a quality/precision sound.

Ultimately, buy what you like more. Noise really shouldn’t be a concern — it isn’t that loud.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had my first mile ride last week and it had a powered tonneau. It's a deal breaker - you will use it all the time if powered. You will simply never use it if you're lifting planks in and out of the gear tunnel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just got my R1T yesterday so still getting used to everything. The tonneau is noisy but otherwise seems to work fine. Drove through a major snow storm and a major rain storm and then parked in the rain overnight. Was expecting everything in the bed to be soaked but it was dry this morning when I opened it up. Very impressed.

I agree with ITF - I don't think you'll use it if you have to manually insert the boards into the track unless very specifically - i.e. going on a road trip where you want better aerodynamics and it's worth the time to install the panels.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Several threads on the cover. There are third party mfgs that offer a roll up option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Several threads on the cover. There are third party mfgs that offer a roll up option.
Thanks for the other threads. The TerraVis solar array on the tonneau from WorkSport looks like there was a bunch of coverage in mid 2020 and not a whole lot since. Doesn't seem to be set up to add directly to charging the truck, and comes with extra batteries to store the energy. The third party manufacturer RetTrax doesn't list the Rivian as one of the trucks it fits, goes for $1,999, whereas the Rivian version costs $1,500 if you order it with the truck (maybe pre-cost increase number?). All good info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts