Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out an easy way to put the toothpaste back into the tube? It looks like this would be easy to fix. But I've tried darn near everything I can think of short of releasing the cover from the track.
Computer Building Hood Laptop Stairs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yikes! If it makes you feel any better, I hear that Rivian will be replacing all tonneau covers via recall very soon (just waiting for new hardware). My truck is in the shop right now and when I mentioned the tonneau cover I was told "we'll look at it, but we're not fixing them until we can replace them".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes! If it makes you feel any better, I hear that Rivian will be replacing all tonneau covers via recall very soon (just waiting for new hardware). My truck is in the shop right now and when I mentioned the tonneau cover I was told "we'll look at it, but we're not fixing them until we can replace them".
I'm not surprised with this (rumor) news. I love the concept of the electric tonneau - but have always felt it was the first thing that was gonna break. It was 100 degrees here last week. The cover would only open about 18" before it would bind. I was highly suspect that the top had expanded enough to cause the problem (having been fully exposed to the blistering sun). Sure enough once the cover was in the shade for about 20 minutes it opened all the way. But it clearly showed the weakness of the design. If that cover is stuck --- so is everything in the bed of the truck. Imagine being a contractor and having critical parts stuck in the bed of the truck with a $500/hour crew waiting for them. I'd be happy with the same cover without the mechanized open/close. Just a manual handle to roll it in and out with some sort of a latch as it hits the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm not surprised with this (rumor) news. I love the concept of the electric tonneau - but have always felt it was the first thing that was gonna break. It was 100 degrees here last week. The cover would only open about 18" before it would bind. I was highly suspect that the top had expanded enough to cause the problem (having been fully exposed to the blistering sun). Sure enough once the cover was in the shade for about 20 minutes it opened all the way. But it clearly showed the weakness of the design. If that cover is stuck --- so is everything in the bed of the truck. Imagine being a contractor and having critical parts stuck in the bed of the truck with a $500/hour crew waiting for them. I'd be happy with the same cover without the mechanized open/close. Just a manual handle to roll it in and out with some sort of a latch as it hits the tailgate.
How would a manual roll with same design be better? If it’s binding now it’ll bind then. If you think it’s a bad design then you’d want a different design — not a manual version of the existing tonneau.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
If you're feeling frisky, you should be able to remove the rail cover on one side then lift that side of the cover leaf and pull the gasket off the side. Then slide it back in the groove, put the leaf back down and put the rail cover back on.

But if you can wait, they'll fix it when they replace your cover with the upgrade when it's ready.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would a manual roll with same design be better? If it’s binding now it’ll bind then. If you think it’s a bad design then you’d want a different design — not a manual version of the existing tonneau.
Good point... but my bad for not providing better clarity. I meant a system that is similar in appearance and using the same track system. Just using manual operation to store and deploy. Agreed the expansion/contraction of the panels needs to be addressed.

Un-related but something worth mentioning. Someone somewhere on one of these forums had mentioned using white lithium grease (periodically) on the tracks was recommended by a SC. Not sure if this is an official Rivian position or just an opinion from one employee. Regardless, it seemed like a reasonable suggestion. So I carry a can of white lithium spray grease in my box of truck tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts