Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Closed the tonneau cover and saw a giant scratch on the face of each of the slats. Must have been some foreign object or pebble that entered into the tonneau sliding mechanism. Tried to take a closer look but didn't see anything that was lodged in the opening that would have caused the damage. Just wanted to see if any one else had a similar issue and wanted to ask if you guys think this would be covered under warranty as some sort of design defect. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the slats get replaced when they fix all our automatic tonneaus.

Grille Hood Window Automotive lighting Automotive design

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn’t think so either and I wouldn’t even consider it if I knew exactly what caused the scratch. But as I mentioned I couldn’t find any object that could have caused the scratch. And so for all I know it could be some issue with the open close mechanism that is causing it.

· Registered
1,130 Posts
FWIW, I have had mine operational since May. One thing I have intentionally avoided is retracting/opening all the way. I always leave one of the tonneau slats showing. If you can get away with not retracting all the way, it might possibly increase longevity. I realize I am a sample of one, and YMMV, but worth a shot anyway.

· Registered
204 Posts
I see marks developing on mine also. It's a terribly flawed system (best explained by JerryRigs on Munro recently). The effort to get the last couple of slats into the open position is excessive and even a birdshit is likely to cause scrape marks.

• Haha
Reactions: derekmw
1 - 8 of 8 Posts