Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took delivery yesterday 4/6. Glad to answer questions if I can, but not about charging and range since I haven't had much experience with those yet.

Here's a few observations and findings:

My config: Launch Edition, blue, black, 22" tires, full size spare, gear sled, deposit in April 2019.

At delivery:
  • full size spare, gear sled, and wristband key were back-ordered and will be delivered in person later; there's an included "fix a flat" kit installed in the gear tunnel door in the meantime.
  • nickel size scratches on both the blue and black edge of the driver's mirror
  • same door had a weird looking dent in front of the logo...but it was actually a protrusion like something was under the paint or the sheet metal had an imperfection.
  • both of these will be fixed next week...though I'm not really sure what that will entail.
  • also noticed that the back lower edges of both gear tunnel doors looked like they were either missing paint or it was scratched off as though it was rubbing something...but there's nothing to rub against these edges. Both doors appear to have type of protective film over the paint so I'll ask about this when the above repairs are made. [See update in thread]

Interior stuff:
  • there's no traditional ON/OFF switch; if you use your phone as a "key" and have the app set to "always allow location", the vehicle unlocks and turns "on" as you approach and locks and turns off when you walk away. No need to take the phone out and launch the app for these things to happen.
  • no satellite radio option built-in
  • no Home-Link functionality built-in (so dig out your garage door and gate openers)
  • Alexa is your only voice-recognition option
  • Spotify is the only installed app other than Alexa; there's HD/AM/FM audio as well as streaming from your bluetooth device.
  • haven't tried it yet, but supposedly you can access other music services if you have those services (like SiriusXM and Tune-In) linked to your Alexa account
  • there is absolutely no handsfree texting/messaging interface built-in
  • no "dog mode" (yet, anyway)
  • my first use of the navigation system would have had me doing an illegal u-turn at an intersection where a sign prohibited it...and that sign wasn't new! I'm not sure which company providing the navigation maps (TomTom maybe?).
  • there are two drink holders up front :)
  • there's no traditional glovebox but there is a small latched pocket storage in front of both front seats; it's small and not deep at all.
  • the wireless phone charger is big enough to charge two phones at once
  • no heads-up display for anyone wondering

Drive / Charging
  • regenerative braking, even when set to Standard, is pretty strong; more so than in my previous hybrid which had 4 levels. This can't be set to Off in normal driving mode as far as I can tell.
  • the cabin is not especially quiet inside but maybe the lack of engine noise makes road and wind noise more noticeable.
  • I used a wall mounted level 2 charger (from the previous hybrid) to charge; the vehicle indicated that it was fully charged this morning with a 310 mile range.

Problems so far (beyond the cosmetics noted above):
* when I plugged in last night for the final time and walked away from the vehicle, it locked and folded mirrors as expected; when I went out to the garage this morning with a phone or key, I found the vehicle "On" but locked - headlights on, music playing, displays on. Apparently it stayed that way all night while charging. After unplugging and moving to the drive, I observed the same behavior - locked, but "On". Talked to Support and viewed the app per their instructions; turns out that the vehicle thought there was still someone inside and therefore would not completely turn off. Apparently a seat sensor was giving this false reading (though I was told that it could also have been a door, tailgate, or gear tunnel door ajar doing the same thing. In any case, a proverbial "Ctrl-Alt-Del" vehicle reboot fixed the issue so we'll see if it happens again; Support will check back in two days but said I could call before then if it happens again and more diagnostics would be conducted to find the ongoing cause.

I'll add to this as I discover other things.

And finally, my new Rivian slogan: "Zero to 60 in 3 years...and 3 seconds!"

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive navigation system Steering wheel
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
* Yesterday, I had an opportunity to finally use Drive+; I've had experience with GM's SuperCruise so it wasn't exactly a new experience. But it was a scary one; on at least two occasions, the truck made erratic decisions for no good reason. In one, it suddenly changed lanes and in the other, it tried to veer off the highway lane at the last second and take an exit for a weigh station. In the first instance, there was a change in the pavement color where half the pavement was dark and the other half was lighter; perhaps this confused it so it suddenly whipped to the right. In the veering incident, there was absolutely nothing unusual or visually confusing about the roadway. I think it needs work and I'm nowhere as comfortable with using it as I was with SuperCruise.

* My map is at least 4 months out of date; my local US Post Office moved in November and navigation tried to direct me to the old location.

* While using cruise, I had to accelerate beyond the set speed to get around an 18-wheeler; I noticed that as soon as I let off the accelerator (cuz I guess I can't say "let off the gas" anymore!), I noticed that regenerative braking immediately started pumping the brakes, so deceleration back to the set speed happened more quickly than a typical car where you tend to coast back to the set speed. It was an unusual sensation and made me realize that I can't really use that coasting speed to make such a maneuver.

* There's no Apple Watch integration with the Rivian app. A previous vehicle had a Watch shortcut that I could place on the main screen face to start/condition the vehicle; that made it convenient and unnecessary to take the phone out of my pocket.

* I was able to use my SiriusXM streaming app via Bluetooth (not unexpected); I haven't tried having Alexa start the stream though it should be possible since I have my SiriusXM account connected to Alexa. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to browse those stations on the display.

* The climate control "Auto" setting does not seem to stay in memory after the vehicle is turned off; I'll play with this more to confirm that there aren't other factors, like preconditioning, affecting the setting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the update, and keep them coming. Hopefully some of these 'software' glitches will be fixed via OTA updates.

The delivery paint issues need to be taken care of at the factory during QC; this is simply not acceptable.

No built-in 'Homelink'? Can that even be correct in 2022?

It is the absence of built in SXM; (an app based only approach to this when you don't have access to the internet at times is simply stupid) and lack of 'Homelink' hardware, etc. will be the deciding factor for me to give my money to some other company. That and poor QC of course.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update, and keep them coming. Hopefully some of these 'software' glitches will be fixed via OTA updates.

The delivery paint issues need to be taken care of at the factory during QC; this is simply not acceptable.

No built-in 'Homelink'? Can that even be correct in 2022?

It is the absence of built in SXM; (an app based only approach to this when you don't have access to the internet at times is simply stupid) and lack of 'Homelink' hardware, etc. will be the deciding factor for me to give my money to some other company. That and poor QC of course.
I asked about Homelink and was told that it "might" be integrated into a later software update; however, I would think that there are some specific hardware requirements that would need to be in place to make that work and I have no idea if that's even the case.

As for my cosmetic issues, I think the scratched mirror was clearly done after production. I think the bigger issue is the protruding dimple on the door; it had to have been done in production and was quite obvious.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update to the "paint issues" around the gear tunnel doors. Upon closer inspection today, I realized that there is not a paint issue on these doors. There IS however a clear film over them that ends near the edges and the areas that I thought were missing paint were really just this film ever so slightly peeled back. I'm trying to find out if this film is supposed to be there as additional protection or if it was supposed to have been removed during the pre-delivery prep. In any case, I'm just glad it's not paint related (unlike the driver door issues).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
* With regard to the nav system, it does not give visual or verbal lane guidance. It does plot charger stations on extended trips including how long you'll spend charging and how much range you should have when reaching your final destination.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I asked about Homelink and was told that it "might" be integrated into a later software update; however, I would think that there are some specific hardware requirements that would need to be in place to make that work and I have no idea if that's even the case.

As for my cosmetic issues, I think the scratched mirror was clearly done after production. I think the bigger issue is the protruding dimple on the door; it had to have been done in production and was quite obvious.
hmm.... I believe Homelink will work as application also, which sends signal / sensor to garage door.. they come up with soft button (button on touch screen) instead of hardbutton

let's see how they configure with update..... best of luck...

thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
An update to the "paint issues" around the gear tunnel doors. Upon closer inspection today, I realized that there is not a paint issue on these doors. There IS however a clear film over them that ends near the edges and the areas that I thought were missing paint were really just this film ever so slightly peeled back. I'm trying to find out if this film is supposed to be there as additional protection or if it was supposed to have been removed during the pre-delivery prep. In any case, I'm just glad it's not paint related (unlike the driver door issues).
I thought Rivian put PPF on the gear tunnel doors intentionally to protect them against any potential hits when being lowered, no?

·
Registered
67 Posts
hmm.... I believe Homelink will work as application also, which sends signal / sensor to garage door.. they come up with soft button (button on touch screen) instead of hardbutton

let's see how they configure with update..... best of luck...

thanks
For Homelink to work surely you would need to have the actual hardware, the transmitter integrated into the vehicle at the factory.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Would be interested in seeing a photo or two of the drive door paint issue you have, if you don't mind sharing them here. I hope that Rivian is willing to fix it and do it within a reasonable timeline.

·
Registered
111 Posts

There has to be a garage remote that works with phone proximity. If not, I am simply brilliant!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Took delivery yesterday 4/6. Glad to answer questions if I can, but not about charging and range since I haven't had much experience with those yet.

Here's a few observations and findings:

My config: Launch Edition, blue, black, 22" tires, full size spare, gear sled, deposit in April 2019.

At delivery:
  • full size spare, gear sled, and wristband key were back-ordered and will be delivered in person later; there's an included "fix a flat" kit installed in the gear tunnel door in the meantime.
  • nickel size scratches on both the blue and black edge of the driver's mirror
  • same door had a weird looking dent in front of the logo...but it was actually a protrusion like something was under the paint or the sheet metal had an imperfection.
  • both of these will be fixed next week...though I'm not really sure what that will entail.
  • also noticed that the back lower edges of both gear tunnel doors looked like they were either missing paint or it was scratched off as though it was rubbing something...but there's nothing to rub against these edges. Both doors appear to have type of protective film over the paint so I'll ask about this when the above repairs are made. [See update in thread]

Interior stuff:
  • there's no traditional ON/OFF switch; if you use your phone as a "key" and have the app set to "always allow location", the vehicle unlocks and turns "on" as you approach and locks and turns off when you walk away. No need to take the phone out and launch the app for these things to happen.
  • no satellite radio option built-in
  • no Home-Link functionality built-in (so dig out your garage door and gate openers)
  • Alexa is your only voice-recognition option
  • Spotify is the only installed app other than Alexa; there's HD/AM/FM audio as well as streaming from your bluetooth device.
  • haven't tried it yet, but supposedly you can access other music services if you have those services (like SiriusXM and Tune-In) linked to your Alexa account
  • there is absolutely no handsfree texting/messaging interface built-in
  • no "dog mode" (yet, anyway)
  • my first use of the navigation system would have had me doing an illegal u-turn at an intersection where a sign prohibited it...and that sign wasn't new! I'm not sure which company providing the navigation maps (TomTom maybe?).
  • there are two drink holders up front :)
  • there's no traditional glovebox but there is a small latched pocket storage in front of both front seats; it's small and not deep at all.
  • the wireless phone charger is big enough to charge two phones at once
  • no heads-up display for anyone wondering

Drive / Charging
  • regenerative braking, even when set to Standard, is pretty strong; more so than in my previous hybrid which had 4 levels. This can't be set to Off in normal driving mode as far as I can tell.
  • the cabin is not especially quiet inside but maybe the lack of engine noise makes road and wind noise more noticeable.
  • I used a wall mounted level 2 charger (from the previous hybrid) to charge; the vehicle indicated that it was fully charged this morning with a 310 mile range.

Problems so far (beyond the cosmetics noted above):
* when I plugged in last night for the final time and walked away from the vehicle, it locked and folded mirrors as expected; when I went out to the garage this morning with a phone or key, I found the vehicle "On" but locked - headlights on, music playing, displays on. Apparently it stayed that way all night while charging. After unplugging and moving to the drive, I observed the same behavior - locked, but "On". Talked to Support and viewed the app per their instructions; turns out that the vehicle thought there was still someone inside and therefore would not completely turn off. Apparently a seat sensor was giving this false reading (though I was told that it could also have been a door, tailgate, or gear tunnel door ajar doing the same thing. In any case, a proverbial "Ctrl-Alt-Del" vehicle reboot fixed the issue so we'll see if it happens again; Support will check back in two days but said I could call before then if it happens again and more diagnostics would be conducted to find the ongoing cause.

I'll add to this as I discover other things.

And finally, my new Rivian slogan: "Zero to 60 in 3 years...and 3 seconds!"
Congratulations on your new vehicle. Here’s to hoping that the issues get ironed out sooner than later and that you love the R1T for a long time. Quick question - around what part of TX do you live? I thought delivery was going to be based on proximity to service centers and I was not aware of any in the Texas area. We live in the Houston area and I’m not expecting my vehicle for another year plus regardless.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts