Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Congratulations on your new vehicle. Here’s to hoping that the issues get ironed out sooner than later and that you love the R1T for a long time. Quick question - around what part of TX do you live? I thought delivery was going to be based on proximity to service centers and I was not aware of any in the Texas area. We live in the Houston area and I’m not expecting my vehicle for another year plus regardless.
Gsam - when I placed my original deposit, I was in Austin; now I'm about 30 miles outside of Austin. My vehicle was delivered on a Rivian owned tow truck and came from Dallas; the Austin service center hasn't opened yet. The delivery folks were returning to Dallas to pick up another truck for delivery in Austin the next day.

I'm confident that the issues will all get worked out; everyone at Rivian has been really great so far. I don't expect things to be perfect and I think that's a reasonable approach when dealing with a new vehicle at a new company. As long as Rivian is willing to work on issues as they arrive, I'm good with that! :)

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Would be interested in seeing a photo or two of the drive door paint issue you have, if you don't mind sharing them here. I hope that Rivian is willing to fix it and do it within a reasonable timeline.
It's difficult to capture the "protrusion" but I've attached a photo trying to show it. In pics, it really just appears as a kind of a slight aberration. The first photo was the scratch on mirror on the same door noted at delivery.

Supposedly both will be fixed this coming week; I don't really see how that's going to be possible here at the house with the "reverse dimple" though.

Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
  • Amazon Music does not resume when you return and start the vehicle. You cannot even resume it by hitting the onscreen "Play" icon in the small media window. Instead, each time you restart the vehicle, you have to tell Alexa to "Resume". I don't have Spotify so I don't know if it behaves the same way.
  • Despite the Owner's Manual saying otherwise, Alexa simply says "Something went wrong" if you try to tell it to play "SiriusXM" (I have a streaming XM account and Alexa can control it just fine at home). I haven't tried TuneIn or any of the other services specifically mentioned in the Manual.

Does anyone know who is supplying the map data to Rivian?

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the update, and keep them coming. Hopefully some of these 'software' glitches will be fixed via OTA updates.

The delivery paint issues need to be taken care of at the factory during QC; this is simply not acceptable.

No built-in 'Homelink'? Can that even be correct in 2022?

It is the absence of built in SXM; (an app based only approach to this when you don't have access to the internet at times is simply stupid) and lack of 'Homelink' hardware, etc. will be the deciding factor for me to give my money to some other company. That and poor QC of course.
NOT having homelink is not backwards it’s forward design. Homelink is an antiquated and licensed product that must be paid for to integrate into a new vehicle. All new garage door openers operate on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and are now smart devices which do not require Homelink hardware/software to be integrated into a vehicle. While it my next annoying, your not going build a state of the art vehicle with old technology baked in.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
NOT having homelink is not backwards it’s forward design. Homelink is an antiquated and licensed product that must be paid for to integrate into a new vehicle. All new garage door openers operate on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and are now smart devices which do not require Homelink hardware/software to be integrated into a vehicle. While it my next annoying, your not going build a state of the art vehicle with old technology baked in.
It may be antiquated, but how often do people actually replace garage door and gate openers? Until that equipment is replaced and the majority of it uses newer technology, then HomeLink continues to be useful to most people. For me, it's a matter of convenience; I have my home equipment set up with aftermarket add-ons so that Alexa or an app on my phone can control the garage doors...but Alexa in my Rivian has either proved to be problematic performing this task (whereas the Echo devices in my house have no issues doing the same thing) or extremely slow in executing it. I'm back to having to either carry and use the remote attached to my visor or digging out my phone and opening an app in these instances.

And the access gate to the neighborhood definitely can't be controlled by Alexa...but I did manage to get it to work on my previous vehicles with HomeLink by programming it with the remote.

Maybe they shouldn't have included AM/FM radio capabilities either...that's some old tech right there!

· Registered
53 Posts
Gsam - when I placed my original deposit, I was in Austin; now I'm about 30 miles outside of Austin. My vehicle was delivered on a Rivian owned tow truck and came from Dallas; the Austin service center hasn't opened yet. The delivery folks were returning to Dallas to pick up another truck for delivery in Austin the next day.

I'm confident that the issues will all get worked out; everyone at Rivian has been really great so far. I don't expect things to be perfect and I think that's a reasonable approach when dealing with a new vehicle at a new company. As long as Rivian is willing to work on issues as they arrive, I'm good with that! :)
I am also here in Austin and expecting to take delivery this month or next. See you around town!

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
A software update got pushed out today; it took a little over an hour for the update to process. I read through the "What's New..." section beforehand but thought I already had many of the features mentioned (like bird's eye cam view), so maybe most of these were just tweaks. The app says I still have Version 2022.11.2 so maybe it will update the next time I start the vehicle; I think the new version was something like 2022.07.3 but I can't recall. [UPDATE...on the update: apparently I got it backwards; the new version is 2022.11.2 and that's what now shows in the app and on the center screen; I think I was reading the "What's New" for the previous version since when I viewed it after the update, it showed new stuff...like a "Carwash Mode" (rolls up windows, locks charge port, deactivates sensors, etc).]

I took my truck in today to get an estimate for paint protection film; I'd gotten several estimates over the phone and online. The place I visited today was in a small town about half way between San Antonio and Austin...and there was another Rivian truck already there getting tint when I walked in! I think it was a Launch Green (but I haven't actually seen the both greens in person so I'm not positive); it had a BM interior (as expected!). PPF estimates for a full front end (basically all painted surfaces in front of the front doors) ranged anywhere from about $1400 to $2400 depending on the shop. I also discovered that there's already a small area of film installed directly behind the front wheels; this is in addition to the film that's on the Gear Tunnel doors (this film does not wrap around the edges of the door so it's already collecting dirt around the edges). :cautious:

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Maps now have lane turning guidance.

After the software update, which was supposed to include improvements to the vehicle recognizing the phone as a key, the opposite seems to have happened; it worked fine before, but now I'm having to launch the app to "wake up the vehicle" in order to get it to unlock. Or start.

I noticed that the vents will auto close until they reach the set temperature; this may make for a really stuffy cabin in Texas summer without remembering to do a remote pre-conditioning!

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I had another issue tonight where the vehicle would not shut down...because it thought someone was still inside. I'm beginning to think this idea of not having a "On/Off" button might not be a good one! My guess is that there's a faulty sensor in the front seat; no one has been in it or the back, but I did put a bag of groceries on the front seat earlier today and apparently the truck thought someone was still there after I removed it. I had to do another "reboot" to get the truck shut down. But on a side note, the reboot may have improved my phone recognition as a key after the recent software update...

Since I've still had no resolution for the driver door issues noted at delivery, I guess I'll add this sensor to the list of things that need to be repaired/replaced...

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just an update on a few previously noted issues...

Service was out last week (from Houston) to replace my driver door mirror that was damaged on delivery; they also re-calibrated the windows and seats...but I've continued to have an issue with the vehicle not turning off because it still thinks someone is inside. LTE also stopped working entirely but that seemed to be remedied when I did a vehicle reset to temporarily fix the turning off problem.

My reverse door ding issue is finally going to be addressed...though that will entail Rivian hauling the vehicle 4 hours to Dallas; I was hoping it could be fixed a bit closer to home but hopefully that will also get the occupant sensor fixed and also get me my backordered spare tire.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
i live in Houston so it can get pretty hot.
Question:
How well does the AC keep up with the heat?
Thanks, Chomondely
I haven't experienced any issues with the AC keeping up with the Texas heat...yet. But we'll see what it does in August. :) It can't be any worse than the leased Ford I have which turns it (and the AC) off every time I come to a stop sign or light. Sheesh. Just once I'd like to see a car company make "ventilated seats" standard...and upcharge for heated seats! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So an update on my truck towed in for service...

It went to Houston instead of Dallas. They repaired my reverse door ding...mostly; it looks like they popped it back in place from the inside though there's a very minute spot that's still present if you really look for it...but I can live with it. The issue of the truck refusing to turn off was also supposedly addressed with a software update (to the version with the garage door opener). Unfortunately, when I finally got it back (which was a whole other fiasco), it immediately failed to turn off yet again.

Mobile techs were out yesterday and spent 7 hours trying to diagnose that issue; the initial conclusion was that wiring and voltage was fine, but that the driver seat sensor was probably not working correctly and the seat would need to be replaced. By today, I was informed that the logs were studied a bit more and that a new diagnosis was made...so now instead of replacing an entire seat, I'm getting a new accelerator pedal! What do those two things have in common? Problems with either can apparently cause the truck to stay on! It might also explain why the truck was occasionally refusing to go into Hold mode when I came to a stop. Repairs on the pedal are slated for Monday.

The new garage door controls work great. But I've noticed that a really loud noise that I would equate to a fan on a jet engine spinning up comes on when the AC has been on a few seconds (and powers down when the AC is shut off); it's not the blower fan, but most likely the radiator fan under the front trunk. It's crazy loud inside the cabin and even worse outside...much louder than any ICE car I've ever been around! The inside reverb is awful and it literally sounds like the fan is being overthrottled. I'm not sure if this is related to the software update (there were changes noted in the climate control system) or if it's normal (but unwelcomed) behavior that's only now presenting itself because temps have been near 100 this past week. Guess we'll see; I'll ask the tech on Monday about it.

· Registered
7 Posts
So an update on my truck towed in for service...

It went to Houston instead of Dallas. They repaired my reverse door ding...mostly; it looks like they popped it back in place from the inside though there's a very minute spot that's still present if you really look for it...but I can live with it. The issue of the truck refusing to turn off was also supposedly addressed with a software update (to the version with the garage door opener). Unfortunately, when I finally got it back (which was a whole other fiasco), it immediately failed to turn off yet again.

Mobile techs were out yesterday and spent 7 hours trying to diagnose that issue; the initial conclusion was that wiring and voltage was fine, but that the driver seat sensor was probably not working correctly and the seat would need to be replaced. By today, I was informed that the logs were studied a bit more and that a new diagnosis was made...so now instead of replacing an entire seat, I'm getting a new accelerator pedal! What do those two things have in common? Problems with either can apparently cause the truck to stay on! It might also explain why the truck was occasionally refusing to go into Hold mode when I came to a stop. Repairs on the pedal are slated for Monday.

The new garage door controls work great. But I've noticed that a really loud noise that I would equate to a fan on a jet engine spinning up comes on when the AC has been on a few seconds (and powers down when the AC is shut off); it's not the blower fan, but most likely the radiator fan under the front trunk. It's crazy loud inside the cabin and even worse outside...much louder than any ICE car I've ever been around! The inside reverb is awful and it literally sounds like the fan is being overthrottled. I'm not sure if this is related to the software update (there were changes noted in the climate control system) or if it's normal (but unwelcomed) behavior that's only now presenting itself because temps have been near 100 this past week. Guess we'll see; I'll ask the tech on Monday about it.
Just took delivery here in Houston on Friday 5/20. Experienced the same thing on Saturday with the AC and it sounding like a jet engine. I have a bunch of issues I'm going to mention in my first service call, so... anyway... will also update on that.

· Registered
11 Posts
Just took delivery here in Houston on Friday 5/20. Experienced the same thing on Saturday with the AC and it sounding like a jet engine. I have a bunch of issues I'm going to mention in my first service call, so... anyway... will also update on that.
I took delivery in Dallas 5/19. Launch Edition LA Silver, 20" AT, Black Mountain with all the off road goodies.

I noticed the same really loud noise I am going to mention it when I make my call to get the "TPMS sensor malfunction" fixed. I do hope they make some updates to the user interface. It would be nice to have better functionality with amazon music or other apps.

I am very impressed with everything so far with the exception of a few issues. Guess that is part of the early adopter phase.

Thanks for the info on the PPF - I am looking to have some added to the front for sure.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts