Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Everdean65 are driving dynamics of the R1T what you expected them to be before taking delivery? I noticed in a lot of first drives that journalists were surprised by how car-like it felt.
It’s really remarkable. I did a lot to work on my 07 Tundra to dial in the ride (extra leaf spring, Bilstien adjustable shocks etc) and I thought it was hard to beat. The R1T is so much better, right out of the box. I’ve had an Audi Q5 previously, and this ride is more luxurious on the highway than the Q5, and much smoother on rough roads than the Tundra ever was. It’s the best of both worlds for sure. I tell people it feels like an Audi cross-bred with a Jeep Rubicon (I’m guessing…never drove a Rubicon).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the launch edition, and I hate to say I’m not positive what the difference is between that and the specific off road package. When I configured I don't believe that was an option, and mine came with everything they were offering at the time. Only additions I made were the Rivian Blue paint, the 20” black off road wheels and tires and the camp kitchen, which I was advised to remove if I wanted any chance of getting my truck soon. Those are delayed. I’ve got the tow hooks, so maybe someone else who’s dove even deeper can tell us if I’m missing anything that is now part of the off road package. It seems like they took a lot of the included launch edition features and broke them up into packages or options for future configurations.
If you look at the vehicle info screen on your center display it will tell you which "Underbody" you have.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Great writeup @Everdean65
If you can be sure to add your delivery info to the tracker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Adding an XL 29er mtn bike on the back on a hitch mounted carrier affected the mileage by 10-15%, so I will be experimenting with ways to get around the 70” max for “over the bed” mounting of a bike carrier. I don’t want to lose any of the already compromised bed space.
Hi @Everdean65 , great post a couple of months back. I'm an avid mountain biker moving to Durango in about 3 years, so hopefully our Rivian's will be simultaneously parked near a 4 corners trailhead sometime! what do you mean by the 70" max for "over the bed"? I was planning to just get a lift gate protector from Fox or Dakine and throw a bike or two over the back. But I'm curious what the 70" max refers to?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sure. The specs for the gear rails when attached over the bed specify bikes under 70” wheelbase only. It’s because of the placement of the forward attachment point on the bed rails. With a bike mount on the rails, 50% of the wheel diameter must fit between that forward mount and the cab, and the wheel base has to fit between the two rails mounting positions. I haven’t measured to verify, but I know my XL 29er won’t fit over the bed on the gear rails due to this size restriction. My XL gravel bike will fit. Word of caution on your over the tailgate plan. This is a thick tailgate that I am not certain bikes will fit over. It’s an interesting design that extends your bed by 2.5 feet but might be problematic with bikes over the gate. I think best choices are on the roof on gear rails or with a swing out type hitch mount from what I’ve seen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Word of caution on your over the tailgate plan. This is a thick tailgate that I am not certain bikes will fit over. It’s an interesting design that extends your bed by 2.5 feet but might be problematic with bikes over the gate. I think best choices are on the roof on gear rails or with a swing out type hitch mount from what I’ve seen.
Thank you. I did order the gear rails and mine and my wife's bikes are medium and small, so that's good. But, I'm very much hoping to just throw over the gate, especially when I'm by myself for a quick ride. There's another thread on here where people are posting their MTB setups and someone posted one with two bikes over the gate, so hopefully that means mine would fit that way too.

I'm avoiding the roof. I do that with my 4runner now and I'm tired of it. I have a hitch mount but it's a fairly old Thule and don't like putting it on and taking it off, and most importantly I don't want the R1T to be any longer than it needs to be.

Thanks for the answer. Still hoping the gate works.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts