Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone knows what the top speed of the R1T will be. I know it’s fast 0-60 but will it be governed to only do 120mph? Like most cars

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
147 Posts
Governed to 120? If anything speed limiter is done it usually to 155 but that isn't on all cars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why would you ever want to go faster than 125mph in a big SUV or truck??
Clean the gene pool

With a low center of gravity and the right tires (and brakes) this could be fun on a closed road course! I’m curious about the balance, but I bet the weight is distributed equally on all four corners.

I’ll have to do a track day with my wife in the Z06! We'll race for pick slips. 🤣

·
Registered
228 Posts
Clean the gene pool

With a low center of gravity and the right tires (and brakes) this could be fun on a closed road course! I’m curious about the balance, but I bet the weight is distributed equally on all four corners.

I’ll have to do a track day with my wife in the Z06! We'll race for pick slips. 🤣
That actually sounds like a fun day....

I guess some people just do not understand not everyone has the same wants and desires. For instance I would never want to climb Mount Everest but who am I to ask why people who do want to. We are all wired differently and that is a big part of what makes life exciting....

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
147 Posts
Maybe they tested it at 130 and found it too unstable so limited it to 124. I know a lot of the Germans limit to 155 because of some Autobahn rule

·
Registered
816 Posts
Maybe they tested it at 130 and found it too unstable so limited it to 124. I know a lot of the Germans limit to 155 because of some Autobahn rule
The "U" tire speed spec is 124mph maximum. I don't know if Rivian is using U tires, but if they are, then that would explain the limit.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
That actually sounds like a fun day....

I guess some people just do not understand not everyone has the same wants and desires. For instance I would never want to climb Mount Everest but who am I to ask why people who do want to. We are all wired differently and that is a big part of what makes life exciting....
Yeah I'm sure our R1T's will be looking for ICE pickups to leave in the dust...

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
230 Posts
Electric motors do have RPM limits, just like ICE cars have RPM limits. That plus the gearing = maximum speed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm reasonably sure that the limitation is from tire limitations. I wouldn't want to have tire failure at those speeds.
That could be part of it but if they wanted higher speed they could have baked that into the tires as these are custom designed for Rivian.

Many companies (EV and ICE) limit top speed because of stability factors when the air gets underneath the vehicle at higher speeds.

With these being marketed as adventure vehicles you are limited to how low the lowest setting is in order to have the range for the higher settings.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 155 mph limit was just an agreement among the German manufacturers for "standard" vehicles. It gets played off as for safety, but a little thought gets you to the point that you realize that if you want to go faster you now have to buy some sort of "limited edition" with all its commensurate markup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts