Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could be a big announcement for EV technology. Toyota is planning on revealing a new EV prototype that uses a solid-state battery that can be fully charged in just 10 minutes.

Toyota hopes to be the first automaker to launch an electric car with solid-state batteries, aiming to unveil a prototype next year, ahead of a production launch relatively soon after that, Nikkei Asia reported Thursday.

The automaker expects electric cars powered by solid-state batteries to have more than twice the range of vehicles using current lithium-ion battery chemistry, with the ability to fully recharge in just 10 minutes, according to the report, which also said Toyota has over 1,000 patents related to solid-state batteries.

While Toyota seems fairly far ahead of other Japanese automakers (Nissan doesn't plan to start real-world testing of solid-state batteries until 2028, the report said), the country's automotive suppliers appear to be gearing up for production.

Mitsui Mining and Smelting (also known as Mitsui Kinzoku) will build a pilot facility to make electrolyte for solid-state batteries, the report said. Located at an existing research and development center in Japan's Saitama Prefecture, the facility will be able to produce "dozens of tons" of solid electrolyte starting next year, enough to fulfill demand for prototypes, according to the report.

The timetable discussed in the report is accelerated from what a top Toyota executive suggested just this summer. In an interview with Automotive News in July, Keiji Kaita, executive vice president of Toyota's powertrain division, said limited production of solid-state batteries would start in 2025.

This report also suggests that solid-state battery cells could have much-improved energy density. That echoes a Samsung statement from earlier this year, suggesting its solid-state tech could double energy density.

Solid-state cells have become something of a trend among battery makers. Apple iPhone maker Foxconn is working on a solid-state battery for EVs due by 2024, and VW-backs QuantumScape—with ex-Tesla CTO JB Straubel on the board—recently suggested that its battery tech might be nearing the stage when it can be deployed in EVs.

Tesla itself sees solid-state technology as farther off, however. The company is looking at other technologies to achieve greater energy density, longer lifespan, and lower manufacturing costs.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Great time for Toyota to finally get in. Although late, they can easily rise to the top.

Maybe Akio is finally turning around?
"No, dear readers, I don’t think the CEO of Toyota is uninformed on these matters. He’s looking at the same information that the rest of us are, and apparently reaching the opposite conclusion. (Even oil industry trade mags such as OilPrice.com are reporting on the dismal future prospects of the fossil fuel industry.)

EV-industry journalists reacted with head-shaking incomprehension to Toyoda’s remarks. Electrek’s Fred Lambert called the venerable industry leader “small-minded” and “short-sighted,” and ominously predicted that “if Toyota’s leadership doesn’t show a massive shift in attitude toward electric vehicles in the next year, they are going to be done.”

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great time for Toyota to finally get in. Although late, they can easily rise to the top.

"No, dear readers, I don’t think the CEO of Toyota is uninformed on these matters. He’s looking at the same information that the rest of us are, and apparently reaching the opposite conclusion. (Even oil industry trade mags such as OilPrice.com are reporting on the dismal future prospects of the fossil fuel industry.)

EV-industry journalists reacted with head-shaking incomprehension to Toyoda’s remarks. Electrek’s Fred Lambert called the venerable industry leader “small-minded” and “short-sighted,” and ominously predicted that “if Toyota’s leadership doesn’t show a massive shift in attitude toward electric vehicles in the next year, they are going to be done.”
I'm basically abandoning BMW after owning 11 of them over the years because of the stupidity of the former CEO and Chief Engineer's public remarks regarding EV efforts. I quite like our i3s and will likely keep it but the lack of effort at significantly increasing its range and the abomination they brought instead in the form of the iX (formerly iNext) doesn't make up for their previous attitude. Toyota seems to be striving to be in the same sinking boat.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If this is the real deal it could shoot them ahead of the competition. It's so ironic that this is coming from a company that's so reluctant to commit to EVs.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm basically abandoning BMW after owning 11 of them over the years because of the stupidity of the former CEO and Chief Engineer's public remarks regarding EV efforts. I quite like our i3s and will likely keep it but the lack of effort at significantly increasing its range and the abomination they brought instead in the form of the iX (formerly iNext) doesn't make up for their previous attitude. Toyota seems to be striving to be in the same sinking boat.
I've seen the iX and it is an odd design, which is surprising since they make some pretty good looking SUVs.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've seen the iX and it is an odd design, which is surprising since they make some pretty good looking SUVs.
Maybe its part of a strategy to help build a unique identity around next-gen BMW EVs?
If so, I think it works well.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe its part of a strategy to help build a unique identity around next-gen BMW EVs?
If so, I think it works well.
but it's not just the iX that's had a "questionable" design choice. The new M3 and M4 look like they have buck teeth. I get wanting to be unique but I think BMW's design team in general is missing the mark.

·
Registered
641 Posts
but it's not just the iX that's had a "questionable" design choice. The new M3 and M4 look like they have buck teeth. I get wanting to be unique but I think BMW's design team in general is missing the mark.
I did notice that the EVs do take on a slightly different approach though. One that may be hard to warm up to, compare to the new 4-Series, M3 and M4. Too bad the only time that big grille might work is on a big vehicle, like the X5 and X7.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts