Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in northern Vermont. My R1T has 21" wheels. No manufacturer makes a snow tire that will fit my wheels. I looked into ordering 20" wheels with snow tires but can't find the correct TPMS sensors to work with my R1T. I asked Rivian 2 weeks ago but have not gotten a response.

· Registered
7 Posts
I live in northern Vermont. My R1T has 21" wheels. No manufacturer makes a snow tire that will fit my wheels. I looked into ordering 20" wheels with snow tires but can't find the correct TPMS sensors to work with my R1T. I asked Rivian 2 weeks ago but have not gotten a response.
I was trying to do the same thing. TireRack suggested ordering the wheels and tires unmounted and then having your local tire shop use the TPMS in your existing tires. Not ideal, but if you plan to leave them in all winter, it is an option.

· Registered
526 Posts
Nokian have Hakkas in the 20” and 21” size. Discussed here.

· Registered
71 Posts
Another forum user walked me through this when I ordered a set of American Racing AR944s. You want the 20x9s with +35mm offset. The TPMS Sensors and programmer are linked below. I purchased the tires and wheels from Tire Rack and had them shipped to the local Discount Tire. I bought the TPMS sensors and programmer from Amazon. I cloned the working TPMS sensors from the Rivian-provided wheels to the Amazon sensors and marked the boxes with the proper locations. I had Discount Tire install these on the Tires/Wheels that TR sent them. Easy Peasy. Let me know if you have any questions!

Programmer: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L8W2856/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sensors: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BSR35XJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: If somebody wants to buy the AR944s from Tire Rack I have a good contact over there that knows what we need and would be happy to help. I'd be happy to provide that but hesitate to post it on a public forum.

· Registered
3 Posts
Another forum user walked me through this when I ordered a set of American Racing AR944s. You want the 20x9s with +35mm offset. The TPMS Sensors and programmer are linked below. I purchased the tires and wheels from Tire Rack and had them shipped to the local Discount Tire. I bought the TPMS sensors and programmer from Amazon. I cloned the working TPMS sensors from the Rivian-provided wheels to the Amazon sensors and marked the boxes with the proper locations. I had Discount Tire install these on the Tires/Wheels that TR sent them. Easy Peasy. Let me know if you have any questions! Programmer: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L8W2856/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Sensors: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BSR35XJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Note: If somebody wants to buy the AR944s from Tire Rack I have a good contact over there that knows what we need and would be happy to help. I'd be happy to provide that but hesitate to post it on a public forum.
Do you need Rivian SC to re-program your car if changing from 21 wheel to 20?

· Registered
71 Posts
Do you need Rivian SC to re-program your car if changing from 21 wheel to 20?
That question could be taken 2 ways:
1. Does Rivian need to reprogram the TPMS sensors?, or,
2. Does Rivian need to reprogram the wheel diameter size for proper speed?

If 1., then no, but I think you were actually asking about 2. For me running 22s originally, my spedometer showed that I was going about 3mph faster than I was really going. When I switched to 20s it became about 1.5-2mph off. I asked the question of Rivian about how to reprogram for different sizes and their response was "That's not a supported feature yet."

Hope that helps.

Seth

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
78 Posts
Another forum user walked me through this when I ordered a set of American Racing AR944s. You want the 20x9s with +35mm offset. The TPMS Sensors and programmer are linked below. I purchased the tires and wheels from Tire Rack and had them shipped to the local Discount Tire. I bought the TPMS sensors and programmer from Amazon. I cloned the working TPMS sensors from the Rivian-provided wheels to the Amazon sensors and marked the boxes with the proper locations. I had Discount Tire install these on the Tires/Wheels that TR sent them. Easy Peasy. Let me know if you have any questions!

Programmer: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L8W2856/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sensors: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BSR35XJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: If somebody wants to buy the AR944s from Tire Rack I have a good contact over there that knows what we need and would be happy to help. I'd be happy to provide that but hesitate to post it on a public forum.
I have the programmer and sensors in my Amazon Cart as well as the Nokian 275 65 20 winter tires and 4 silver (black is sold out) AR944's 20x9 with 35mm offset at tire rack. Am I missing anything and is that the best choice tire size?

· Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
261 Posts
I have the programmer and sensors in my Amazon Cart as well as the Nokian 275 65 20 winter tires and 4 silver (black is sold out) AR944's 20x9 with 35mm offset at tire rack. Am I missing anything and is that the best choice tire size?
What size wheels do you have now. If you have 21s or 22s, 275/60R20 is the same diameter as the stock wheels so your speedo, and everything would still be correct. the 65 side wall is about an inch taller than the stock 21 and 22. Really not a big deal, and I know Nokian selection can be kind of limited right now, so go whichever size you can get.

You should be good to go otherwise.

· Registered
78 Posts
What size wheels do you have now. If you have 21s or 22s, 275/60R20 is the same diameter as the stock wheels so your speedo, and everything would still be correct. the 65 side wall is about an inch taller than the stock 21 and 22. Really not a big deal, and I know Nokian selection can be kind of limited right now, so go whichever size you can get.

You should be good to go otherwise.
I have the 22's and ordered the 275 65-20's . the issue now is Tire rack is short of the American Racing wheels, no black, shortage of silver

· Registered
37 Posts
Do the AR944's have the right hub size for the Rivian? If not, did you look into hub-centric rings? I installed them with the Ram wheels. Some folks will probably claim they are not needed, but I wouldn't chance it.

· Registered
78 Posts
Do the AR944's have the right hub size for the Rivian? If not, did you look into hub-centric rings? I installed them with the Ram wheels. Some folks will probably claim they are not needed, but I wouldn't chance it.
I ordered the hubcentric spacers rom the place in Texas. I agree hey should be part of the install, especially with a 40 mm+ difference between the Rivan hub and the Beast when hub at 108

· Registered
78 Posts

I used your links for the sensors and programmer. It took about 5 minutes to read the book and 4 minutes to program the sensors. Installed on WheelPros Beast 20x9 wheels. the wheels clear and sensors work perfectly. thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts