Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there probably aren’t a ton of trade in experiences with Rivian so far, but wanted to ask of those who have done it, have their offers been good? I have a 2020 Tesla Model Y I’m going to be getting rid of. Carvana has given me over $60k for it and I should be starting the 8 step delivery path with Rivian this week so should get a quote from them soonish. I may take it to Carmax. Has it been simple?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
They were comparable to Carvana for me and about $4k less than Driveway. With trade-in tax savings they were only $400 less than Driveway. But I’ve decided to try to sell it on my own. If that doesn’t pan out, Driveway is the fallback and still puts me ahead of the net of where Rivian was. Plus given issues people are having which require the truck to have an extended stay at a service center, there’s some comfort in keeping my old truck for a month or two.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Mine was exactly spot on with Carvana, thought it was generous, didn't want to deal with the hassle of selling privately, AND wanted to take advantage of the tax savings. Simple, and seamless.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a sub 10K VIN Model 3 from early 2018 and the thing is still holding an over 35K offer on Carvana. If Rivian would ever get the finger out and make me a truck it would be a great time to trade in. 1266 days since reservation.

Reactions: DrBebo

·
Registered
352 Posts
If Rivian's pricing is within 5% of what Carvana, Car Max, etc, would give me for my car, certainly would just trade it in Worth 5% for the simplicity of it. Probably 10% less than what I could sell it for privately, but that's always a bit of a pain the rear to do. So, willing to give up about 10% in case too.

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
If Rivian's pricing is within 5% of what Carvana, Car Max, etc, would give me for my car, certainly would just trade it in Worth 5% for the simplicity of it. Probably 10% less than what I could sell it for privately, but that's always a bit of a pain the rear to do. So, willing to give up about 10% in case too.
Depending on your state and whether they only tax the net amount after trade-in, it could easily make that 5% difference effectively zero. In my case, the tax is 7.1%, so I could absorb a 7.1% lower trade-in value from Rivian vs. other options and still come out the same financially. They were about 10% lower than Driveway, though, so I’ve decided against the trade. I’ll keep my current truck for a month or two as a backup in case the R1T has any early service issues, and then try to sell it myself. If that doesn’t pan out, then I’ll revert to the Driveway option which is still about $500 better net than Rivian.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Depending on your state and whether they only tax the net amount after trade-in, it could easily make that 5% difference effectively zero. In my case, the tax is 7.1%, so I could absorb a 7.1% lower trade-in value from Rivian vs. other options and still come out the same financially. They were about 10% lower than Driveway, though, so I’ve decided against the trade. I’ll keep my current truck for a month or two as a backup in case the R1T has any early service issues, and then try to sell it myself. If that doesn’t pan out, then I’ll revert to the Driveway option which is still about $500 better net than Rivian.
Unfortunately, one of the many prices of living in sunny southern California is that the DMV charges you full sales tax with no credit for the vehicle your trading in. At our whopping 10%+ rate, on an $80,000+ vehicle, gets pretty costly. But, that's the price we pay to be here I guess.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a sub 10K VIN Model 3 from early 2018 and the thing is still holding an over 35K offer on Carvana. If Rivian would ever get the finger out and make me a truck it would be a great time to trade in. 1266 days since reservation.
2 months later and now my Model 3 is getting offers at 45K...I'm gonna have to sell the thing.

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
I just sold my 2019 4Runner to the dealer I bought it new from 4 years and 34,000 miles ago for $40k. They turned around and listed it at $46k. Sticker was $43,500 and I paid $40,500 for it 4 years ago. It had 34,000 miles and a few thousand in aftermarket upgrades on it.

$40k was $1,500 better than the best online offer I got (Driveway) and $3,000 better than Rivian’s trade in offer.

Reactions: RITVT

·
Registered
940 Posts
I was literally driving my Silverado 2500 into the ground for 3 years while waiting for my R1T. It had 189,000 miles on it. I was surprised that Carvana was quoting me over $11K... Rivian's quote (with less information requested about the vehicle's condition than Carvana) was exactly the same, and I took it. Knocking the trade-in off the purchase (and lowering sales tax) plus claiming a $7500 tax credit, in addition to looking into a state tax credit, made the purchase (and trade-in) a no-brainer. YMMV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine was exactly spot on with Carvana, thought it was generous, didn't want to deal with the hassle of selling privately, AND wanted to take advantage of the tax savings. Simple, and seamless.
Do you mind briefly explaining what the tax advantages of trade-in are vs selling it privately?
I'm having that debate myself. I want to do it the easy way and the wife wants max sales price.

·
Registered
940 Posts
It varies by state I believe, but in my state, you reduce the sale price by the amount of the trade-in. Therefore you only pay sales tax on the net amount. In my case, I saved about $700 in taxes. If I had sold my truck direct, I may have been able to sell it for $700-$1000 more to a private party on my own, BUT I would have had to work through the tire kickers and deal with the hours of selling the truck myself to a private party. Saving the taxes and the headaches was an easy decision for me, particularly since Rivian was very fair with the trade-in value.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went on FB marketplace and sold my Ridgeline in about 1 hour to a company called Texas Auto, they had great reviews and were quick to purchase... I actually had to hold them back a week until my Rivian was delivered, they have around 50,000 five star reviews, I was sceptical at first that I was being scammed because, I live in Florida, They offered me $2,000 under my asking price which was $5000. over Carvana, They asked how I wanted to be paid and I said cash... no problem, they sent a guy with cash in hand, had all the paperwork in hand and the deal was done... I gave them a 5 star review also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts