Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there were some recent comments about the R1T spotted in ATX not having a towpak.
A reply said the receiver was under a panel - but if it were it would be too far from the rear bumper surface to allow most every bike rack we sell at our stores. Though extensions are available they are awkward and prone to wiggle and wobble when using bike racking.
Thanks in advance for answers.
BTW we were hot for LA silver but went back to launch green for its association with being green and identifiable with pioneering guinea pigs!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The other forum has a thread of real world photos, and in one post (#877) zoomed in on the cover being removed (not sure if I've seen the same photo posted here, and not sure if it's frowned upon to cross link to a competing site, but that's probably enough info to go find it). It looks like the end of the receiver is recessed less than an inch from the vertical plane of the bumper. I'm pretty confident it'll work fine with our hitch rack.

·
Registered
559 Posts
No one knows for sure until they're in customer hands and you can test-fit your rack.... But I'd be quite surprised if Rivian didn't consider bike racks when designing their receiver. They have a partnership with Yakima, after all, and Yakima makes lots of bike racks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense
Yakimas have always been smartly made ( and with catchy names) but many rack makers have fallen ‘short’ with tongue lengths.
Their loss- we have choices.

·
Registered
125 Posts
No one knows for sure until they're in customer hands and you can test-fit your rack.... But I'd be quite surprised if Rivian didn't consider bike racks when designing their receiver. They have a partnership with Yakima, after all, and Yakima makes lots of bike racks.
I would agree here. I had a Tahoe with the same type of setup and it was no further under the vehicle than a standard hitch. Would be extremely surprised if it is an issue at all.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
310 Posts
I would agree here. I had a Tahoe with the same type of setup and it was no further under the vehicle than a standard hitch. Would be extremely surprised if it is an issue at all.
Range Rovers have this as well.

Reactions: wicked2112

·
Registered
24 Posts
Makes sense
Yakimas have always been smartly made ( and with catchy names) but many rack makers have fallen ‘short’ with tongue lengths.
Their loss- we have choices.
Trust me - Yakima racks will have NO PROBLEMS with the hitch position on the Rivian! NONE! ;)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Rivian says the R1T will have a 2'' Class V receiver rated for a 1,155 lbs. tongue weight.

The R1T trailer hitch is there when you need it, and hidden when you don’t. A cover designed to improve aerodynamics comes off quickly by removing two retaining screws, revealing a 2'' Class V receiver rated for a 1,155 lbs. tongue weight. Trailer light and brake controls are provided via a 7-pin connector.

No matter what you’re towing, the R1T’s adaptive air suspension helps keep your truck level, even when pulling 11,000 pounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts