Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Enjoy your new Rivian and admire it in your driveway or garage but do not take it out unless very smooth, wide streets free of bumps, gravel and dirt. Absolutely do not go off-road or on dirt roads, or rocks as the slightest bush or tree branch will disable the truck and you will have to have it serviced at two different places, both 1.5 hrs drive no doubt from where you live. Treat the Rivian as the delicate flower that it is. It cannot withstand the slight brush, and I mean brush, that produces no dents, no scratches in the paint, just a blemish and what is a $2.50 piece of plastic will require two separate visits, one for repairs (no painting required) and one to the Rivian Service Center to be "recalibrated". Yes ,that is how delicate the truck is, such that any "touch" with another object requires a recalibration. Enjoy the showpiece that it is, and it is attractive. Take a lot of pictures and show your friends but be very very careful when you drive it. A blemish is bad and a parking lot ding will no doubt be catastrophic . As soon as the Ford Lightening or Sliverado EV is in production, then trade in your Rivian for a real truck that can withstand blemishes as well as real accidents and is not a foo foo showpiece with no real guts or substance.
Rivian service is slow, unsympathetic and clearly not informed about the truck. Their recommendations are so ridiculous that it is laughable.
So everyone who asks me about my truck, I point out the tiny piece of broken amber with no dents, no scratches and I tell them the story that Rivian says the frame needs readjustment and then a second trip to the Rivian Service Center for recalibration. I tell them I get calls 5 min apart with totally contradictory information from Rivian.
I tell them I finally took it to the Rivian Authorized Collision Center and they started laughing and said they've heard Rivian service is awful and can't believe you are not able to fix a simple lens cover.
Rivian informed me that a "brush" at less than 0.5 mph is a collision, even though no dents, scratches and only a minor blemish easily removed with a wet finger. I've never encountered such incompetent advice. You have no idea what you are in for until you need service.
And of course the tonneau cover jammed and they basically said live with it until Jan.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enjoy your new Rivian and admire it in your driveway or garage but do not take it out unless very smooth, wide streets free of bumps, gravel and dirt. Absolutely do not go off-road or on dirt roads, or rocks as the slightest bush or tree branch will disable the truck and you will have to have it serviced at two different places, both 1.5 hrs drive no doubt from where you live. Treat the Rivian as the delicate flower that it is. It cannot withstand the slight brush, and I mean brush, that produces no dents, no scratches in the paint, just a blemish and what is a $2.50 piece of plastic will require two separate visits, one for repairs (no painting required) and one to the Rivian Service Center to be "recalibrated". Yes ,that is how delicate the truck is, such that any "touch" with another object requires a recalibration. Enjoy the showpiece that it is, and it is attractive. Take a lot of pictures and show your friends but be very very careful when you drive it. A blemish is bad and a parking lot ding will no doubt be catastrophic . As soon as the Ford Lightening or Sliverado EV is in production, then trade in your Rivian for a real truck that can withstand blemishes as well as real accidents and is not a foo foo showpiece with no real guts or substance.
Rivian service is slow, unsympathetic and clearly not informed about the truck. Their recommendations are so ridiculous that it is laughable.
So everyone who asks me about my truck, I point out the tiny piece of broken amber with no dents, no scratches and I tell them the story that Rivian says the frame needs readjustment and then a second trip to the Rivian Service Center for recalibration. I tell them I get calls 5 min apart with totally contradictory information from Rivian.
I tell them I finally took it to the Rivian Authorized Collision Center and they started laughing and said they've heard Rivian service is awful and can't believe you are not able to fix a simple lens cover.
Rivian informed me that a "brush" at less than 0.5 mph is a collision, even though no dents, scratches and only a minor blemish easily removed with a wet finger. I've never encountered such incompetent advice. You have no idea what you are in for until you need service.
And of course the tonneau cover jammed and they basically said live with it until Jan.
Do you feel better now?

· Registered
344 Posts
I literally fixed this on my DS rear window last night! Took me 3mins and a small tube of black silicone caulk. I cleaned the surface between the rubber and the underside of the finish trim with a alcohol pad, applied a thin line of silicone to the top of the rubber seal and pressed the 2 parts together and then inserted them into the top of the door and applied blue painted tape overnight, DONE!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts