Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start hauling dirt and gravel in the truck I was trying to find a good truck bed protector/mat/liner so that we don’t end up with a dingy, all scratched-up truck bed. Nothing yet on WeatherTech for example. Anyone have any good suggestions or solutions?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have a rubber mat from my old Silverado 2500 bed. I am cutting it to down to size to fit the R1T bed (just as an extra pad to block the seams if hauling that type of material)... Haven't needed it yet, and don't mind scrapes and scratches on the bed since its a truck, and it won't do any harm.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You don't need a spray in liner. The bed is already protected and durable, there is no metal to rust out or paint to chip away. There are seams for the spare compartment (and tailgate extension) that might also make spray-in more difficult, but as mentioned, seems unnecessary (unless you want more "gription") for lack of a better word, so stuff doesn't slide around in the bed as much. Also doesn;t seem worth it, since you have tie-downpoints. A mat of some sort will serve to cover the seams, and make cleaning easier when you are doing messy jobs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You don't need a spray in liner. The bed is already protected and durable, there is no metal to rust out or paint to chip away. There are seams for the spare compartment (and tailgate extension) that might also make spray-in more difficult, but as mentioned, seems unnecessary (unless you want more "gription") for lack of a better word, so stuff doesn't slide around in the bed as much. Also doesn;t seem worth it, since you have tie-downpoints. A mat of some sort will serve to cover the seams, and make cleaning easier when you are doing messy jobs.
This, it's already a composite bed.

FWIW, my Ridgeline also has a composite bed. It hauls lumber. It hauls drywall. It has had wheelchair ramps placed on it. ATV ramps placed on it. It has hauled lawnmowers. It has hauled construction debris including loose tiles, discarded wood with nails in it. A Christmas tree gets thrown into the bed a week before Christmas and the carcas of one gets thrown into the bed a week after New Year. Hand trucks, hot water heaters, solar panels, gravel, mulch, salt bags, and more.

I don't spray it, I don't line it, it's never been painted and my son even refers to it as "Daddy's Garbage Truck"
The truck is 13 years old and has just under 270,000 miles. Here's how the bed looks after all that hard work:

Automotive tire Tire Tread Road surface Asphalt

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Fixture

To me, that's not bad. All surface scratches. To some, it will be. Hope this helps your decision on whether you want to leave it or protect it.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a rubber mat from my old Silverado 2500 bed. I am cutting it to down to size to fit the R1T bed (just as an extra pad to block the seams if hauling that type of material)... Haven't needed it yet, and don't mind scrapes and scratches on the bed since its a truck, and it won't do any harm.
Same for me, I cut down my Tundra pad to fit the R1T. Pro Tip: spray a good amount of silicone spray along the cut lines and use a brand new box cutter blade. Made the job surprisingly easier, and the cuts were nice and clean.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before I start hauling dirt and gravel in the truck I was trying to find a good truck bed protector/mat/liner so that we don’t end up with a dingy, all scratched-up truck bed. Nothing yet on WeatherTech for example. Anyone have any good suggestions or solutions?
I have used rubber mats in the past but now prefer BedRug... it's durable, easily cleaned, and soft to climb upon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had my truck since March and have hauled tree clippings, dirt, mulch and a few loads of gravel (some ~1,500lbs). My first load went right into the truck bed and it made a mess. Since then I keep a tarp folded up in the bed compartment and before loading it up I fold it over the rear window, tailgate and the sides. This also keeps the tonneau tracks clean and stuff from getting down into the gooseneck hinges. It keeps me from scratching the paint as well. Then I fold the tarp over the load and close the tonneau (if I can). I have used a plastic drop in liner in the past cut from a bigger truck and I liked it until I couldn't get to the spare tire (I keep tools in there). Now I use the tarp and like that a lot more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts