Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone looked any further into a truck bed rack system (i.e. like the Yakima overhaul or front runner) for the Rivian. I have a feeling these solutions might be delayed due to the proprietary nature of the cross bar insertion.

would like to have a slightly larger hardshell RTT (iKamper) and would like it up a bit more.

also as a side note, anyone else considering mounting it backwards so the ladder and annex would be to the opposite side of the kitchen?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Have you used an RTT? I only ask because lots of people do not like them. They are all over Craig’s list up here. I’ve had one for about 10 years, had a CVT that I sold about 3 years ago. Last spring a buddy sold me his iKamper mini he bought and hated. The iKamper is head and shoulders above the other one I had. Dark inside (in on Alaska with 20 hrs sun in the summer) easy to talk up and down. We camp almost every weekend spring through fall and only use the RTT two or three of those times when in very heavy brown bear country during active salmon runs and when out in open tundra during moose rut.

In general I’m of the bigger the better school of thought but with RTTs it’s more like the smallest possible. My and my both my full grown teens easily sleep in the 2 person mini. None are rally large enough to spend much more time up there then just sleeping. Smaller ones are easier to take on and off (although even the Mini is best with 3 people), lighter, warmer and effect efficiency less.

I’m my iKamper the only thing that Really differentiates the front from the back is the front has another lip under the shell, I am assuming to possibly keep water out when it’s closed? Could possibly move it. In the pictures is is the one with the black strip across the bottom. Other than that it is almost symmetric and I don’t see a reason why you couldn’t mount it backwards.

The kitchen although a wow factor seems to me completely impractical for backcountry and camping. Much better suited for tailgating.

Tire Automotive tire Gadget Rectangle Font

Watercraft Naval architecture Boat Vehicle Electronic instrument

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will admit that I have not done any RTT camping, but I have done a fair amount of hammock camping and would suspect the RTT would be more comfortable. Perhaps I will consider the newest mini, but was hoping to get 4 people in it. Being in Florida, I have more of a heat issue than a cold issue for 3 seasons.

I agree with you on the “practicality” of the camp kitchen, but I think it will come in handy for my intended use scenario and the ease of pack in and out for quick weekend trips will be great. I still use my old MSR whisper lite more than anything else.

My biggest question remains about the rack system, I really would like to be able to use the several inches between the rack and the tonneau cover, specifically for a locking fly rod holder.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will admit that I have not done any RTT camping, but I have done a fair amount of hammock camping and would suspect the RTT would be more comfortable. Perhaps I will consider the newest mini, but was hoping to get 4 people in it. Being in Florida, I have more of a heat issue than a cold issue for 3 seasons.

I agree with you on the “practicality” of the camp kitchen, but I think it will come in handy for my intended use scenario and the ease of pack in and out for quick weekend trips will be great. I still use my old MSR whisper lite more than anything else.

My biggest question remains about the rack system, I really would like to be able to use the several inches between the rack and the tonneau cover, specifically for a locking fly rod holder.
The reason most people do not like RTTs is due to lack of comfort. You can’t put a cot in one, mattress are very limited,…. being in the heat most are very well insulated no way I would use my iKamper when it is even in the 60’sF. We end up opening the windows even when it is in the 50’sF, but then we are Alaskans and think the world is on fire when/if it hits 70F. Another thing to consider with an RTT is when one person is up you all will be, everyone has to go to bed and wake up at the same time. Also if someone will.

The mounts for my iKamper fit almost any crossbar. I have Yakama round bars.

If you go with one we ditched the pads that came with it and use two Exped Megamats.

When in Australia I see lots of Bundutec, James Baurod, and AluTec.

Gesture Wood Automotive tire Wrist Circle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
…. being in the heat most are very well insulated no way I would use my iKamper when it is even in the 60’sF. We end up opening the windows even when it is in the 50’sF, but then we are Alaskans and think the world is on fire when/if it hits 70F.
despite being from the Midwest. the Florida in our family now shines through and we are mostly cold in sub 70 temps, if unprepared. Figured that the insulation was removable when warmer. But the poor comfort is more to consider sinceI have mostly read better reviews. Cots also take up space. I guess we could always do with a two up in a mini and two down in the annex on cots. Guess I should research cots too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
despite being from the Midwest. the Florida in our family now shines through and we are mostly cold in sub 70 temps, if unprepared. Figured that the insulation was removable when warmer. But the poor comfort is more to consider sinceI have mostly read better reviews. Cots also take up space. I guess we could always do with a two up in a mini and two down in the annex on cots. Guess I should research cots too.
The mega mats are the best sleep pad out there I found. Cots tend to be much more comfortable than sleeping on a hard flat surface especially in warm weather since they don’t insulate and breathe. The iKamper is a really well-made RTT it’s just very dark brown and black and one side that is the one with the shell has no windows or ventilation. All of the insulation is on the underside of the hard shell and not removable.

Many places rent RTTs, REI does out of some of their stores. I would recommend renting one a couple times to give it a try before you drop $3k+ on one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I second everything Cole said.

We had an RTT (Tepui) on our Tacoma, it worked pretty well as long as you weren't camped with "local driving needs". It's a bit of a hassle to have to take everything out of the tent, take down, drive to trailhead / town, back to camp and set up again. The tent on the ground is better in that regard. But when on trips where we were moving every day, it's nice to be up off the ground in a more robust structure than a ground tent. And they are quite a bit quicker to set up / take down than a classic tent - no driving stakes, etc, etc.

As was said, I'd borrow / rent one for a couple trips and see if it's your thing. For our family and our camping style, it made more sense to go back to a big tent, more flexibility for most of the trips we do at the moment.

·
Registered
261 Posts

As for the kitchen my buddy has one of these. It is fairly awesome for car camping. ~20 lbs, seating for 4, 2 burners, full price is $500,…

and the best camp grill I’ve ever seen. Got one last spring and use it sometimes at home over using my green egg.

You could get both for ~$1000

·
Registered
261 Posts

If you are looking at rod holders and an RTT. My buddy has a roofnest, it has additional rails on top of the hard shell tent and he puts locking rod tubes on it. I’m pretty sure some of the James Baurod tents have that feature.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This thread seems to have morphed into a discussion on RTT in general. I also already have an iKamper RTT and want to used it hopefully mounted to a cab-height rack over the bed. Any progress from Yakima on a Rivian R1T-mountable rack? The iKamper would stick out the back of the bed about 2 feet if mounted to the rails over the bed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts