Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else feeling like their A/C is insufficient? I live in SoCal, and I set my A/C at 69 and Auto, and I've been driving around sweaty lately. My Silverado would cool down and I'd eventually have to bump it up to 70-71 if I was driving any distance. All this weekend I was turning the back fans off and cranking the fan speed up on my Rivian cause it just wouldn't cool me off enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone else feeling like their A/C is insufficient? I live in SoCal, and I set my A/C at 69 and Auto, and I've been driving around sweaty lately. My Silverado would cool down and I'd eventually have to bump it up to 70-71 if I was driving any distance. All this weekend I was turning the back fans off and cranking the fan speed up on my Rivian cause it just wouldn't cool me off enough.
Yup I agree,
That panoramic roof lets in a lot of heat!
Really needs an Rivian accessory sunshade or aftermarket sunscreen shade like you can find for Tesla's. Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone come up with an easy snap in install yet. I'm sure someone will.
Also have noted that the APP tex is way off by at least 10 degrees (high side)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anyone else feeling like their A/C is insufficient? I live in SoCal, and I set my A/C at 69 and Auto, and I've been driving around sweaty lately. My Silverado would cool down and I'd eventually have to bump it up to 70-71 if I was driving any distance. All this weekend I was turning the back fans off and cranking the fan speed up on my Rivian cause it just wouldn't c
Electronic instrument Audio equipment Font Display device Electronic device
ool me off enough.
I was in Phoenix this past weekend. I had my AC and seat vents at full blast and the temp was still 127 degrees (see enclosed screen shot)

·
Registered
5 Posts
This has me very worried. I feel like I’m already starting to get cold feet on spending this much on a truck.

Im in the 8 steps and can theoretically pick up my truck Saturday but Im worried im going to get roasted out of it…

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unless you didn't get the grandfathered price, you'd be silly to not get the truck. It's the best vehicle on the market hands down. I've owned $120k Mercedes and this is better. Might not be more comfortable, but the overall package is way better.

As it comes to the heat, you'll def need better tint, and when the after-market offers sun shade, buy it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Definitely some bugs to deal with as an early adopter but you will not be dissatisfied with your pre-order pricing and the vehicle you get. Don't read too much into the issues you read about IMHO. It's par for the course that people will report their annoyances/concerns far more than their praises. I am a prime example. Since I got my truck a month ago, I spend less time in these forums cos i simply love the dang thing - and spend A LOT of time in it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try turning off Auto. The thermostat goes below 69, keep lowering it until it says "low." Also make sure rear climate control is on. Have you used the AC in the seats? I find that if I have the AC on the seats then I'm way cooler than just the vents. I use a sunsheild when parked. That along with pre-cooling the truck before I get in makes a big difference (via the app). I haven't gotten the roof cover yet but it does let a lot of heat in through the sunroof. I find that it takes a lot of time to cool of the truck (black interior) but once its cool it stays cool and I can keep my vent speed on 1 or 2. I'm in the NE however and we haven't had anything hotter than 96F so far this year.

RayzorBEV - you've got to find a shady place to park! Did the truck ever cool off?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try turning off Auto. The thermostat goes below 69, keep lowering it until it says "low." Also make sure rear climate control is on. Have you used the AC in the seats? I find that if I have the AC on the seats then I'm way cooler than just the vents. I use a sunsheild when parked. That along with pre-cooling the truck before I get in makes a big difference (via the app). I haven't gotten the roof cover yet but it does let a lot of heat in through the sunroof. I find that it takes a lot of time to cool of the truck (black interior) but once its cool it stays cool and I can keep my vent speed on 1 or 2. I'm in the NE however and we haven't had anything hotter than 96F so far this year.

RayzorBEV - you've got to find a shady place to park! Did the truck ever cool off?
I was north bound on the 101hwy when 2 vehicles collided & burst into flames less than 1/4 mile ahead of me, it was around 1130am in Phoenix. So it turned into a 10 mile parking lot for over 2 hours!! I was thoroughly cooked. Good times...Not!
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire
Car Sky Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle
Sky Car Vehicle Street light Infrastructure

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was north bound on the 51hwy when 2 vehicles collided & burst into flames less than 1/4 mile ahead of me, it was around 1130am in Phoenix. So it turned into a 10 mile parking lot for over 2 hours!! I was thoroughly cooked. Good times...Not!
That sucks... or blows... up that is. I hope everyone got out ok. A retractable sunroof shade would have come in handy. I really cant believe the vehicles don't come with one. I haven't found a clean looking fix for this yet. I love my HeatShield for the windsheild but its too bulky to keep in the backseat for the sunroof. It also doesn't look great but I would certainly opt for having it in a crappy situation like that. Hopefully Rivian will admit this was a design miss and will offer a nice looking shade to the gear shop soon.

How much range (or % charge) did you lose over the 2 hours while sitting with full AC?

·
Registered
85 Posts
That sucks... or blows... up that is. I hope everyone got out ok. A retractable sunroof shade would have come in handy. I really cant believe the vehicles don't come with one. I haven't found a clean looking fix for this yet. I love my HeatShield for the windsheild but its too bulky to keep in the backseat for the sunroof. It also doesn't look great but I would certainly opt for having it in a crappy situation like that. Hopefully Rivian will admit this was a design miss and will offer a nice looking shade to the gear shop soon.

How much range (or % charge) did you lose over the 2 hours while sitting with full AC?
It's really the windshield and the front side windows that were letting in all the heat. The roof did a really good job in shielding the mid-noon heat from entering the cabin. Range loss was about 10miles with air conditioning and seats at full blast..

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's really the windshield and the front side windows that were letting in all the heat. The roof did a really good job in shielding the mid-noon heat from entering the cabin. Range loss was about 10miles with air conditioning and seats at full blast..
In that case you could have put the HeatShield cover(s) in and used the forward facing camera to know when you have to take them off. I'll have to remember that for the next time I'm stuck on the highway.

So I think that adds up to ~4.5kWh or 3.5%. That seems like a pretty efficient HVAC system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In that case you could have put the HeatShield cover(s) in and used the forward facing camera to know when you have to take them off. I'll have to remember that for the next time I'm stuck on the highway.

So I think that adds up to ~4.5kWh or 3.5%. That seems like a pretty efficient HVAC system.
I wish I had my windshield shade but I didn't :confused:. The other issue was just how loud the AC was. At one point, it sounded like a jet was about to take off,ninside the cabin. Even the Phonenix SC acknowledged that it stands to benefit from a sound proof enclosure

·
Registered
1 Posts
My R1T is coming in the fall so I took advantage of the first mile drive in Phoenix last week. It was 108 degrees. I drove the 20 miles to the service center in my LC200. A/C was set to 77 auto. The fans start off in high but after about 3-5 minutes, as the cabin cools down, they go to the lowest setting and are imperceptible. I drove the R1T with the A/C set to 77 degrees on auto as well. During the 45 minute drive the cabin never really cooled down sufficiently and the fans are very loud. Loud to the point where you have to raise your voice considerably to speak with the other occupants. I am not sure a ceiling tint will fix that. I’ve seen a company wrap the glass from the outside on a Tesla. Perhaps that would work. Has anyone done that ? I think this issue has to be addressed quickly by Rivian, especially for the R1S which has an even bigger cabin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My R1T is coming in the fall so I took advantage of the first mile drive in Phoenix last week. It was 108 degrees. I drove the 20 miles to the service center in my LC200. A/C was set to 77 auto. The fans start off in high but after about 3-5 minutes, as the cabin cools down, they go to the lowest setting and are imperceptible. I drove the R1T with the A/C set to 77 degrees on auto as well. During the 45 minute drive the cabin never really cooled down sufficiently and the fans are very loud. Loud to the point where you have to raise your voice considerably to speak with the other occupants. I am not sure a ceiling tint will fix that. I’ve seen a company wrap the glass from the outside on a Tesla. Perhaps that would work. Has anyone done that ? I think this issue has to be addressed quickly by Rivian, especially for the R1S which has an even bigger cabin.
I’ve had my truck for 2 months and it cools great. I often turn off the rear climate control. The roof isn’t the problem, the side windows are. I tinted mine with 3M ceramic and that makes a big difference on the road. I’m in houston, so I can match your temps. 77 is hot for all my cars. I run 72 on the Riv and it’s perfect. They don’t have an auto cooling feature on the cab and mine gets to 130 in the sun without sunscreens so I pre-cool mine when it’s been in the sun. I have the green interior so it’s probably a little better than the black.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The glass roofs are just cookers. Too hot to touch in the Tesla but Tesla does have the internal shade which helps, until you lose the little clips that hold it in then it's two sided tape.

If it proves a problem in the Rivian, I'll have the roof wrapped in the body color (in my case white) which also be reflective.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts