Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input for those that have a 21" or 22" vs the 20" All-terrain Tire. I currently have an R1T with 20"s and it is really tuff for my smaller passengers to gain entry/exit the truck even if it is at the lowest height. I am wondering if those that have the 22" or even the 21" find that shorter passengers have an easier time getting into truck.

As an example here are some total differences in height that I did a calc on not sure it is accurate but 2 inches gain width by using the 22" seems like a big improvement in access height or 4 inches in total difference. Unless I am doing the calcs wrong. Please let me know if I did not do this correctly and let me know if the access height is easier for those with a 22" or 21" wheel spec.

For the 20" : Has a wheel spec of 0.65 X 275 = 179mm height (7.05 inches)
For the 22" : Has a wheel spec of 0.50 X 275 = 138mm height (5.4 inches)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looking for input for those that have a 21" or 22" vs the 20" All-terrain Tire. I currently have an R1T with 20"s and it is really tuff for my smaller passengers to gain entry/exit the truck even if it is at the lowest height. I am wondering if those that have the 22" or even the 21" find that shorter passengers have an easier time getting into truck.

As an example here are some total differences in height that I did a calc on not sure it is accurate but 2 inches gain width by using the 22" seems like a big improvement in access height or 4 inches in total difference. Unless I am doing the calcs wrong. Please let me know if I did not do this correctly and let me know if the access height is easier for those with a 22" or 21" wheel spec.

The wheel size dosn’t matter at all it is the outside tire diameter. The 21 and 22” OEM are ~1” smaller so the truck would sit ~0.5” lower step to ground. If you insist the easiest option would be to put smaller OD tires on the 20’s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, but I found this in another discussion. This calc seems to indicate a +3in a difference between the total diameter of the 20s" vs 22s" dimensions diameter.

20": 275/65R20 Diameter: 34.1" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 7.0" Circumference: 107.0"
21": 275/55R21 Diameter: 32.9" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 6.0" Circumference: 103.3"
22": 275/45R22 Diameter: 31.7" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 4.9" Circumference: 99.7"

·
Registered
44 Posts

Actually, I've found that its the seat height more than the vehicle floor height that makes it difficult to get into.

Rivian seats are quite high from the floor to the bottom cushion. Difference in tire size wont matter at all, if the vehicle height is set to lowest parking position.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Actually, I've found that its the seat height more than the vehicle floor height that makes it difficult to get into.

Rivian seats are quite high from the floor to the bottom cushion. Difference in tire size wont matter at all, if the vehicle height is set to lowest parking position.
a smaller OD tire will make the truck lower even in the lowest setting. Due to The distance from center hub to ground getting smaller.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Interesting, but I found this in another discussion. This calc seems to indicate a +3in a difference between the total diameter of the 20s" vs 22s" dimensions diameter.

20": 275/65R20 Diameter: 34.1" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 7.0" Circumference: 107.0"
21": 275/55R21 Diameter: 32.9" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 6.0" Circumference: 103.3"
22": 275/45R22 Diameter: 31.7" Width: 10.8", Sidewall: 4.9" Circumference: 99.7"
34.1-31.7 =2.4” smaller. Less sidewall =less squish, I would estimate that the 22” OEM set up would make the truck ~1” closer to the ground in all settings.

·
Registered
44 Posts
a smaller OD tire will make the truck lower even in the lowest setting. Due to The distance from center hub to ground getting smaller.
Of course it does. My point is it wont make enough difference in comparison to the height of the seat. If its the front row seats, it can be lowered more than wheel change. If its the 2nd row, then it will not.

The sitting position is quite upright and is high. We worry that my wife's elder parents will have difficulty getting into and out of the vehicle in the back seat. My wife, 5-2, felt she had to "climb" into the vehicle until I lowered the seats such that it was less of an issue.

R1 can benefit from deployable runners for ease of ingress/egress for shorter people even at the lowest vehicle height setting.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Of course it does. My point is it wont make enough difference in comparison to the height of the seat. If its the front row seats, it can be lowered more than wheel change. If its the 2nd row, then it will not.

The sitting position is quite upright and is high. We worry that my wife's elder parents will have difficulty getting into and out of the vehicle in the back seat. My wife, 5-2, felt she had to "climb" into the vehicle until I lowered the seats such that it was less of an issue.

R1 can benefit from deployable runners for ease of ingress/egress for shorter people even at the lowest vehicle height setting.
All trucks have a higher seating position. Trade it if for a model Y? Or a f150 with side steps? Or if you have buckets of cash (we’ll probably $3-7k+) get someone to build you some steps? which could be tough on a unibody.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree the back seat height is a bigger issue for us. Shorter people do have issues. Even at the lowest level my 20” tires/wheel height still sits pretty high from ground for access. My prior Range Rover allowed for a automatic lowering for access. It would be nice for us to have a customize height for when car is parked. Right now you have to lower it to the lowest level every time to gain access. Again just for those that have the 21” or 22” sized rim do you find it easier to access.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
34.1-31.7 =2.4” smaller. Less sidewall =less squish, I would estimate that the 22” OEM set up would make the truck ~1” closer to the ground in all settings.

Funny.. You are correct I meant 2.4 not 3.4 sorry on my calc it was late when I did that response I should have checked my typing. Still wondering if those that have the 21” or 22” feel that 1+ inch in height helps in access. I may cruise by corporate to see. Truth be told I have my second Rivian R1S coming in Q1 with the 22” and was trying to decide if Iwas making the right decision due to height lowering vs 20” again. 22” seem to look better on suv then the 20” but I still prefer a off road / all season tire

·
Registered
396 Posts
Funny.. You are correct I meant 2.4 not 3.4 sorry on my calc it was late when I did that response I should have checked my typing. Still wondering if those that have the 21” or 22” feel that 1+ inch in height helps in access. I may cruise by corporate to see. Truth be told I have my second Rivian R1S coming in Q1 with the 22” and was trying to decide if Iwas making the right decision due to height lowering vs 20” again. 22” seem to look better on suv then the 20” but I still prefer a off road / all season tire
On my 2013 Lexus LX570 my winter tires are 265/60-18 (~30.5” OD) and summer I run 285/75-17 (~33.5” OD). It is a noticeable difference getting in and out of the truck between the 2 sets.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I think the OEM 22 inch a 275/50R22 tire.

So the 21'' and 22'' rim diameters are 33-inch tires, the tire with the 20'' rim diameters is a 34-inch tire, making it the taller one.

Though my wife and I are both pretty tall, we have the 21 inch rims (33 inch tire) and my habit is putting the truck to lowest height on the way home for easier entry and exit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
With the 21” wheels, and in standard height, I find getting in and out to be just on the edge of uncomfortable. I’m 5’11”.

My kids somehow clamber in and out just fine though it can be amusing to watch sometimes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts