Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an issue in cold weather with the under bed storage. In freezing conditions, you may not be able to access this area. I have tire chains and a tow strap stored there. When I needed the strap, the latching mechanism was frozen shut, and there was absolutely no way to open it. Apparently water got into the mechanism and then froze. Don't store anything you might need on the road there as you may not be able to access it until you are back in a heated garage.

· Registered
82 Posts
Makita 18v battery heat gun is in my cab (XGH02ZK). Haven't had to use it yet but I figured with the disappearing door handles and the charge door (stuck shut once before the gun) it would be prudent.

· Registered
17 Posts
start this by saying I am San Antonio with well above freezing temps, and this morning was unable to get into the spare tire area. Pulling the latch does nothing, and there is no release sound. Pushing down on either side doesn’t help. Almost seems lock, while truck is open. Anyone had something similar?

· Registered
82 Posts
Yes, the heat (and probably time) makes the gasket adhere to the lid. I resorted to a small pry bar to gently pop it open and then made the problem better by periodically spraying the gasket and latch with pure Silcone spray, my favorite: KEL KEL PURE SILICONE 10 OZ/57500
I just grabbed that link off the web - my local lumberyard has it. Be careful not to get one with petroleum products that would damage the rubber gasket. Liquid wrench sells one that has penetrating oil - bad idea. Be sure to firmly close the hatch so it reseals and becomes weather tight - I like to jump on it with my feet over the latches. I use mine for storage of infrequently used tools... and someday I will make a slide out tray so i don't have to unload individual toolbags and cases to gain access.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts