Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drove the truck around the farm here and there all day. Nothing big, just down to the barn and back a few times. Parked it at 3:45. Went to take my folks to the barn at 6:45…nada. Kept asking for a key, wouldn’t go into reverse or park, and almost every light on the dash is on. Fuck.
Called Rivian service. Say what you like, but they answer the phone right away and are eager to help.

They’ve called me back twice so far, and while I don’t have an answer yet, at least they’re beating responsive.

Yes, I did the software reset and the vehicle reset, all to no avail.

They’ll be coming to get this on a truck. Oh well, good thing I have a few other cars I can drive! I’ll update this as more information comes to light. Video of what’s going on is below.

update 5/9/22
Went out this morning to grab some stuff from the truck to put in my other truck, but it was not to be. Access denied.

phone wouldn’t open it, key fob had no effect, and the key card didn’t work, either. Called Rivian service, as usual, they answered right away, were very apologetic, and assured me they’d get on it. 10 min later, Ryan (same person I spoke with this am) called me back to ask about the logistics of getting a rollback onto the property.

So, as much as this is a disappointment and a pain in the ass, I will give them credit for being very responsive. Will update this as more info becomes available.

update 5/10-11

well, they came and picked up the truck yesterday am. Arturo from Richmond’s famous towing and tamales was great, but obviously wasn’t briefed. Poor guy had to wait while I printed out the tow manual (thank you, John from Rivian, who spent the entire hour on the phone with me), and together we got it loaded onto the flatbed.

An hour, you say? Why’d it take so long?

If you recall the access issue in chapter 2, getting the truck into neutral or even releasing the parking brake wasn’t an option. HOWEVER, I remembered that there were two pigtails hidden next to the tow hitch, with which can can jump start the 12V system.

So I did, and got into the truck!

Getting it out of park wasn’t in the cards, sadly, nor was releasing the brake, but at least the veil was lifted on one mystery.

Anyway, after all that, I sent arturo down the road to Richmond with a healthy tip and my thanks for his patience. The poor guy had driven up from Richmond to DC in 95 traffic, and then had to go back, which must have been miserable.

Note: For the blissfully uninitiated, traffic on I-95 between DC and Richmond is legendary, rivaling that of the 5 coming into LA from Canyon Country. Its like Purgatory, or being on hold with the IRS, minus the hope.

At any rate, in light of this impending Hell, he might be forgiven for forgetting the [email protected] key.

Anyway, I’m trying to remain sanguine about it, but I’m off the FedEx the key to them.

It should be noted that Rivian service has been great throughout. They offered me rental car vouchers, etc, (which I declined since I have 6 other cars) and have made every effort to keep me informed, going so far as to alert me when the car got to Richmond!

So, we shall see! I’m fairly certain now that it’s the 12V charging system, or that it’s involved, but who knows.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Update 5/21
Ryan from Rivian Service in Richmond was kind enough to drive up one of the two loaner trucks they received yesterday. My truck had some serious issues, and so the troubleshooting and parts procurement has been a challenge. To their credit, they’ve been communicating with me daily, and so when they got the loaners yesterday, Ryan offered to drive one up to my house (near Annapolis). So, while I’m bummed I haven’t had my truck, very cool that they went above and beyond to get me in one while mine is being repaired.
It’s even the same color!
Wheel Tire Plant Dog Car

Reactions: Ruddyr1s

·
Registered
825 Posts
I was told specifically by a Rivian employee NOT to ever place the keys near the wireless charger ever. I wonder if this is also why I have seem some people disconnect the power from the charger.
In your video, you have the keys on the charging pad.
Did you hear anything about this from your guide when you took delivery?

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told specifically by a Rivian employee NOT to ever place the keys near the wireless charger ever. I wonder if this is also why I have seem some people disconnect the power from the charger.
Actually, the girl who dropped the truck off to me told me to put the key in the little slot in front of the pad, it never mentioned not placing the key there. Usually, it’s on my belt or in my pocket. I just put it there to illustrate that all keys were present.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crossposted from Reddit.

Hey,

1 month down as well. I think currently running the most recent update? The one with car wash mode? It’s in Bellevue right now getting looked at.

Drive mode changes- this is why it’s in Bellevue right now. Sat morning I get in to go to work and it won’t shift from park. 4 Faults show on the dash. Roadside assist picks up within 30 seconds (I appreciate how good the customer service has been) Display reset and hard reset to no avail. It does shift into tow mode and a flatbed picks it up an hour later. Only indication I had that anything awry was a herky jerky moment about a mile before I parked it that went away by the time I did. I have no resolution thus far.

Up until very recently the truck has been awesome, and I have hopes that I get it today and never have the same issue again, I didnt expect to buy a vehicle from a brand new outfit and not have some issues. I don’t expect perfection and I know stuff breaks. I have an S that I preordered as soon as I got the truck. Im still holding on to it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
bLE#ding edge ...

Software issues should surface for all users, but of course not all users exhibit the same behavior, so it may be hard to distinguish from hardware issues.

Software issues eventually get fixed ... hardware issues come down to quality control at the supplier. I very much hope that Rivian has good hardware suppliers. From what I can tell of all the reviews so far, most of the software for driving the thing is impressive, so I'm confident there, and arguably that's the more important piece.

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure, El Cap, Blk Mtn, 22” Sport, Delivered 4/2/22
12 Posts
12v degradation can cause some of these odd behaviors from what I've read. I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere.

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure, El Cap, Blk Mtn, 22” Sport, Delivered 4/2/22
12 Posts
Unless it was low to start. Buddy had his a day and on the second day it threw all sorts of alerts and wouldn’t move. Let it sleep and it did same thing but this time let him drive it and all alerts cleared. Not a problem since and going on a week. Seems if 12v gets too low things will error. May his just got past point of no return. May not hurt to connect 12v to the jumper in rear by hitch and see.

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
12v degradation can cause some of these odd behaviors from what I've read. I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere.
This is what I’m thinking, too

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep absolutely, in all EVs. But Rivians are brand new so age-related 12V degradation is highly unlikely to play a role right now.
I don’t think it’s degradation. I think there a specific chain of actions that, when performed together, can fry the 12v system.

Here on the farm, I’m forever in and out of the truck, running lights, the tonneau, the suspension, the windows, you name it. It’s also dusty, wet, and muddy. Not that I think it shouldn’t be able to handle all those, but there’s a connection, I’m sure. I’m only glad it shit the bed on the farm instead of somewhere else!

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don’t think it’s degradation. I think there a specific chain of actions that, when performed together, can fry the 12v system.

Here on the farm, I’m forever in and out of the truck, running lights, the tonneau, the suspension, the windows, you name it. It’s also dusty, wet, and muddy. Not that I think it shouldn’t be able to handle all those, but there’s a connection, I’m sure. I’m only glad it shit the bed on the farm instead of somewhere else!
I would be tempted to look at putting in good 12V deep cycle replacement batteries, I seem to recall a picture of the 12V ones in there, and they were pretty low in power. I mean, the 12V system should not be able to run out of power, since it should be able to charge all the time, but that seems to not be the case here, or in other cars. Just saw some folks on youtube with issues with the 12V system dying overnight and not being able to use the car until they were "jumped". Not sure what Rivian would say to that, but can't hurt to ask?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would be tempted to look at putting in good 12V deep cycle replacement batteries, I seem to recall a picture of the 12V ones in there, and they were pretty low in power. I mean, the 12V system should not be able to run out of power, since it should be able to charge all the time, but that seems to not be the case here, or in other cars. Just saw some folks on youtube with issues with the 12V system dying overnight and not being able to use the car until they were "jumped". Not sure what Rivian would say to that, but can't hurt to ask?
I was told by Service that the vehicle, when sleeping, comes on every 4 hours to, among other things, check the status of the 12-v batteries (there are two) and top them off if needed; it also reports in to Rivian apparently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ugh, I’m having the same issue as described in this thread…errors all over the screen. (Suspension, airbags etc). And appears the only fix is to tow it away on a flatbed.

So far my experience with Rivian service hasn’t been thrilling - they said they will get back to me by phone in 24-48 hours. I will certainly be calling them sooner than that if they don’t call.

Shame, I have 50 people coming to my house for a BBQ tomorrow and most are planning on seeing my new fancy truck. Bad PR for Rivian And embarrassing for me.

sure hope they offer a loaner and give me some white glove service as mentioned in this thread.

will update this thread as this progresses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They replaced both 12V batteries in mine. They couldn’t replicate the issue or figure out the root cause, but the 12 battery replacement resolved the issue. It was picked up on a Saturday morning and I got it back Tuesday evening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told not to place the key CARD near the charger, similar to a hotel key card near a cell phone.

They didn’t say anything about the key fob. I put it in the little slot next to the charger and have no problem whatsoever.

I did however have the issue of drive loses disappearing for a few hours. I also lost the”hold” when I was stopped. Came back after an hour and the faults cleared on their own.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was told not to place the key CARD near the charger, similar to a hotel key card near a cell phone.

They didn’t say anything about the key fob. I put it in the little slot next to the charger and have no problem whatsoever.

I did however have the issue of drive loses disappearing for a few hours. I also lost the”hold” when I was stopped. Came back after an hour and the faults cleared on their own.
I had an issue where the truck wouldn't turn off sometimes. And it sometimes would not go into "hold" mode either. Turns out both were caused by the accelerator pedal not returning to neutral; it wasn't enough to move the truck, but it was just enough to both prevent "hold" and to prevent the truck from turning off when I got out. After Service finally diagnosed the problem (took 3 tries), and before it could be fixed, they told me it was safe to drive but that I might need to pull up on the pedal if I was experiencing either issue. Anyway, just something to keep an eye on...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought Rivian was SLOW and DELIBERATE bringing their vehicles to market because they wanted to test, test and test again to avoid these problems...?
I guess Elon Musk is correct. Anyone can build a few cars, but ramping up to produce thousands on an assembly line is hell. Obviously, something in the assembly line process is not correct with respect to 12V batteries. Surely they didn't have these problems in the ~3 dozen R1Ts produced prior to actual assembly line production?
Again, thank you to folks who are taking early delivery. You are beta testing for Rivian.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drove the truck around the farm here and there all day. Nothing big, just down to the barn and back a few times. Parked it at 3:45. Went to take my folks to the barn at 6:45…nada. Kept asking for a key, wouldn’t go into reverse or park, and almost every light on the dash is on. Fuck.
Called Rivian service. Say what you like, but they answer the phone right away and are eager to help.

They’ve called me back twice so far, and while I don’t have an answer yet, at least they’re beating responsive.

Yes, I did the software reset and the vehicle reset, all to no avail.

They’ll be coming to get this on a truck. Oh well, good thing I have a few other cars I can drive! I’ll update this as more information comes to light. Video of what’s going on is below.

update 5/9/22
Went out this morning to grab some stuff from the truck to put in my other truck, but it was not to be. Access denied.

phone wouldn’t open it, key fob had no effect, and the key card didn’t work, either. Called Rivian service, as usual, they answered right away, were very apologetic, and assured me they’d get on it. 10 min later, Ryan (same person I spoke with this am) called me back to ask about the logistics of getting a rollback onto the property.

So, as much as this is a disappointment and a pain in the ass, I will give them credit for being very responsive. Will update this as more info becomes available.

update 5/10-11

well, they came and picked up the truck yesterday am. Arturo from Richmond’s famous towing and tamales was great, but obviously wasn’t briefed. Poor guy had to wait while I printed out the tow manual (thank you, John from Rivian, who spent the entire hour on the phone with me), and together we got it loaded onto the flatbed.

An hour, you say? Why’d it take so long?

If you recall the access issue in chapter 2, getting the truck into neutral or even releasing the parking brake wasn’t an option. HOWEVER, I remembered that there were two pigtails hidden next to the tow hitch, with which can can jump start the 12V system.

So I did, and got into the truck!

Getting it out of park wasn’t in the cards, sadly, nor was releasing the brake, but at least the veil was lifted on one mystery.

Anyway, after all that, I sent arturo down the road to Richmond with a healthy tip and my thanks for his patience. The poor guy had driven up from Richmond to DC in 95 traffic, and then had to go back, which must have been miserable.

Note: For the blissfully uninitiated, traffic on I-95 between DC and Richmond is legendary, rivaling that of the 5 coming into LA from Canyon Country. Its like Purgatory, or being on hold with the IRS, minus the hope.

At any rate, in light of this impending Hell, he might be forgiven for forgetting the [email protected] key.

Anyway, I’m trying to remain sanguine about it, but I’m off the FedEx the key to them.

It should be noted that Rivian service has been great throughout. They offered me rental car vouchers, etc, (which I declined since I have 6 other cars) and have made every effort to keep me informed, going so far as to alert me when the car got to Richmond!

So, we shall see! I’m fairly certain now that it’s the 12V charging system, or that it’s involved, but who knows.
View attachment 5824
View attachment 5823
Update 5/21
Ryan from Rivian Service in Richmond was kind enough to drive up one of the two loaner trucks they received yesterday. My truck had some serious issues, and so the troubleshooting and parts procurement has been a challenge. To their credit, they’ve been communicating with me daily, and so when they got the loaners yesterday, Ryan offered to drive one up to my house (near Annapolis). So, while I’m bummed I haven’t had my truck, very cool that they went above and beyond to get me in one while mine is being repaired.
It’s even the same color!
View attachment 6087
As an interested future electric truck owner I just signed up to ROF to look for examples of what Rivian does with call-backs.
Sorry to hear of your troubles Rob. You have not finished your story tho ... did everything get resolved?

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As an interested future electric truck owner I just signed up to ROF to look for examples of what Rivian does with call-backs.
Sorry to hear of your troubles Rob. You have not finished your story tho ... did everything get resolved?
Sorry, yes, Rivian got the truck back to me a few days later, and even sent a tech out as a follow up inspection a few days after that. No complaints at all!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts