Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so how many people did a double take on the email sent out this evening about “updated deliveries” and what are your thoughts on batch order production? Look forward to see the responses.

I’m all in on batch production as we the consumer will get our trucks “MAYBE” (fingers crossed and jinxed my self since my preorder isn’t until second half 2023).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nothing against non-LE reservation holders, but personally a bit annoyed about pushing non-LE trucks out, ahead of those who have been waiting 3+ years. Understand all the moving parts and they need to do this to ramp, but still rings hollow when we have been waiting this long and expectations are constantly being missed/ reset. Also means I likely won't get the truck I want if I want to retain my delivery window (if they could even hit it, which I doubt at this point). Talking to guide tomorrow so we'll see what's what.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so how many people did a double take on the email sent out this evening about “updated deliveries” and what are your thoughts on batch order production? Look forward to see the responses.

I’m all in on batch production as we the consumer will get our trucks “MAYBE” (fingers crossed and jinxed my self since my preorder isn’t until second half 2023).
The Rivian disappointments just keep on coming. Their leadership just fails to understand the destruction to their brand that they do with each of these types of emails.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’m having a hard time understanding all the frustration with this email. It looks to me like Rivian is saying we are doing everything we can to push vehicles out as quickly as possible. Due to some constraints the exact configuration you wanted may take a bit longer. If you’d like to change your options for an earlier delivery time you’re welcome to, or wait a bit longer if you don’t want to compromise. With a new company in production ramp along with supply chain issues this seems like the ideal way to maximize deliveries and try to get caught up with pre orders during a very challenging period. I think the really idiotic thing to do would be to NOT adjust how production runs are done and continue struggling to produce vehicles in significant volume.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Backstory. Some of us have been in conversations with our Rivian Guide and informed that our vehicle was going to be delivered in mid-April to mid-May time frame. Now, no, your configuration is pushed out. Setting expectations and then missing them is never good for business. Maybe they should come back to us and say " you were scheduled for Mid-may, but the interior color is delaying delivery, would you be open to a different color for a $2,000 discount, and we will get your vehicle by mid-May?" They don't know how to provide options/solutions, only crush expecations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do agree that those with LE and been waiting years (that’s a true backer) should have gotten a separate email with the issues and changes Rivian wants to make. At the same time there’s this thing called the internet and info goes out and can be misinterpreted just as fast.

At least there is some communication might not be great and super but it’s at least there. I have a hummer ev3 on reserve since the start in 2020 and have t heard zip other than the usual press release and I’ve heard nada from the dealer that’s local.
These companies want our business (more just our money) and then crickets. Communication to put minds at ease, slow down the runaway rumor mill.

Rivian/GM/Tesla going to be having to step it up since the article came out that ford already has 1800 lighting ready for deliver (still a put up or shut up). Then you got the Ram rumor that their trucks will have 500 mile range standard. 🙄.

Just get your trucks out and let the masses make up their minds cause not everyone believes what the influencers have to say (cause there are so many).
For the amount of time we spend in our cars/trucks drive what you love and love what you drive be safe out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I was meaning by Ford having 1800 lighting ready to deliver and that’s just the lighting the also suspended taking orders for the Mach E (due to start back around Sept) to focus on the Lighting F150. By Ford a legacy car maker is going to try and make that bigger splash to the consumer.

Used to be you could hardly see a Tesla in traffic and now there’s plenty and even on the used car lots they are showing up.
The companies are trying for our business and it’s about numbers.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I still don't get the point. When Rivian had 1,000 vehicles sitting on the lot outside Normal earlier this year, everyone was complaining and claiming it was a sign of problems - maybe they were all missing a part and couldn't be delivered, maybe they didn't have enough trucks/people to deliver them, etc. But if Ford does the same thing that's a sign that Ford is doing a better job and being smart about the process?

As far as numbers go, Rivian is currently on track for meeting its 2022 numbers, as far as I can tell. The numbers don't matter so much to me, in part because some of that is totally out of their control. What matters to me is the promise they made when they gave each of us a delivery window. (There were NO promises of delivery dates before individual delivery windows were assigned in Nov 2021). So far this year they seem to have met all or most of those delivery windows. But the May/June window is full of Ocean Coast reservations, so if these slip by 4-6 months, then to me that IS a problem.

Regardless, Wall Street is going to panic at anything related to deliveries, whether bad or good. The batching/OC announcement was basically saying they are going to make production changes so they can keep up with the expected numbers, but Wall Street apparently faulted them for that too, even though it should be good news for the numbers. That's the downside of being a public start-up.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
275 Posts
Everyone should try to be positive. They are admitting their are issues with quality on a specific type of wood for the interior, therefore they are delaying that interior until they can fix it. So what? Change your color choice if you want it quicker. Would you complain less if they delivered you an inferior product? I highly doubt that.

I liked the email it was informative and provided some insight into their current challenges. This would be tough without the supply chain issues weighing them down, so be positive and accept what you can not control.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’m having a hard time understanding all the frustration with this email. It looks to me like Rivian is saying we are doing everything we can to push vehicles out as quickly as possible. Due to some constraints the exact configuration you wanted may take a bit longer. If you’d like to change your options for an earlier delivery time you’re welcome to, or wait a bit longer if you don’t want to compromise. With a new company in production ramp along with supply chain issues this seems like the ideal way to maximize deliveries and try to get caught up with pre orders during a very challenging period. I think the really idiotic thing to do would be to NOT adjust how production runs are done and continue struggling to produce vehicles in significant volume.
Completely agree. I for one appreciated getting the email yesterday. For months people were complaining that there was insufficient communications from the company and how much greater it would be if they provided us with ongoing updates. Now they are doing that, and people are still unhappy. To each their own, and I fully appreciate the fact that frustrations increase exponentially depending on how long you have been waiting, but, like I said, I for one am seeing Rivian moving in the right direction with their customer relations.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been waiting since Feb 2019, if I can get a call a couple months earlier great . . . I am not holding my breath because I am guessing people with LE's will just change their configurations rather than wait.

It sounds great on paper, but unless they already have the list of people that said, "no thanks, I'll wait" then I doubt its much more than words play . . . tell me how many people decided to push out their delivery and how many people moved up? Until you know that number, nothing has changed, except you telling us you can't deliver all the options you offered in the first place.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nothing against non-LE reservation holders, but personally a bit annoyed about pushing non-LE trucks out, ahead of those who have been waiting 3+ years. Understand all the moving parts and they need to do this to ramp, but still rings hollow when we have been waiting this long and expectations are constantly being missed/ reset. Also means I likely won't get the truck I want if I want to retain my delivery window (if they could even hit it, which I doubt at this point). Talking to guide tomorrow so we'll see what's what.
Not all 3+ year pre-order holders have LE's . . . I opt'ed for the 400 mile range version when offered the LE, so opt'ed out. Changed my mind to save the $10k a couple months afterwards, but wasn't allowed to revert to an LE. So now I have an R1T configured just like an LE, minus the badges, yet my delivery is "who knows"?

So I am hopeful that I can maybe get my truck slipped in for an earlier delivery, but I doubt it . . . I am pretty sure people will change their configurations rather than wait on delivery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Expected but again just very poor communication. I received an email my R1s was still in my delivery window of April/May - they were even excited for me and loved my configuration of Rivian Blue and OC. Talked to my guide a day later and signed the Purchase Agreement all with Ocean Coast interior. It must be going into production in the next week or so - I thought. I pressed my guide about OC delays - nothing but usual customer service non-answers. I had to call three times and finally a day before the announcement she buckled and let me know it was all a big fat lie, my vehicle was not coming in April/May - I would not be getting a vehicle in OC until fall!! Ouch! But she had good news - change to Black Mountain and all would be forgiven and we would be back on schedule. I sympathize with the challenges and even agree bulk production will be faster for all - but WTF - if I did any of that to my customers - vamooos. I just can’t believe I am hanging in - it’s been a rough ride staying positive - at least I never bought the stock.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Expected but again just very poor communication. I received an email my R1s was still in my delivery window of April/May - they were even excited for me and loved my configuration of Rivian Blue and OC. Talked to my guide a day later and signed the Purchase Agreement all with Ocean Coast interior. It must be going into production in the next week or so - I thought. I pressed my guide about OC delays - nothing but usual customer service non-answers. I had to call three times and finally a day before the announcement she buckled and let me know it was all a big fat lie, my vehicle was not coming in April/May - I would not be getting a vehicle in OC until fall!! Ouch! But she had good news - change to Black Mountain and all would be forgiven and we would be back on schedule. I sympathize with the challenges and even agree bulk production will be faster for all - but WTF - if I did any of that to my customers - vamooos. I just can’t believe I am hanging in - it’s been a rough ride staying positive - at least I never bought the stock.
So the burning question . . . did you decide to wait, or change your configuration?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Changed it - white in the fall? - just another promise to be missed. Nothing they say can be relied upon.
I'm going to go out on a limb and throw out one possibility for the "Fall": In the fall they'll say "production of OC costs so much more than planned that the price just went up another $#,###. Do you still want the OC interior?" Remember, everything that has been put out is "price subject to change". Or more likely, "we couldn't produce OC in a cost effective manner, we're discontinuing that interior color to concentrate on BM and FE. Which of those would you like?"
Dirty_B

·
Registered
70 Posts

I am likely not to get my R1S before Q3 2023. Being relatively new to this I understand the frustration of those of you who've been waiting far longer than me for delivery. And the thought that some newbie like me might get pushed up in the line would burn me, too.

But batch production facilitates getting more units delivered and in service. This means more visibility and, of course, a better income stream for Rivian in the short term. That in turn may increase the long term viability of the company and get them past current economic and market issues.

But full disclosure: My R1S configuration is about as default or generic as it can get; LA Silver exterior, Black Midnight interior, no significant add-ons. So maybe I'm a beneficiary of batch production if Rivian keeps that approach in the by and by if . . . when . . . probably . . . maybe . . . they start producing the R1S.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts