Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are asking if your two older kids can take your Rivian for a joyride by using their smartphone as the key, the answer is yes.
RITVT I’m also hoping that Rivian can add a valet mode so I can let someone else (kids, valet, neighbor or just someone new to a very powerful vehicle) drive my truck if I need to let them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does Rivian allow you to limit the max speed or the acceleration? I have two teenagers and won’t dare let them drive a vehicle that can accelerate at super car speeds. It would be extremely helpful to be able to limit the performance so they could drive it without temptation,

·
Registered
516 Posts
Does Rivian allow you to limit the max speed or the acceleration? I have two teenagers and won’t dare let them drive a vehicle that can accelerate at super car speeds. It would be extremely helpful to be able to limit the performance so they could drive it without temptation,
I think it's more about how you communicate with your kids than it is about the capability of the vehicle. Kids can kill themselves in a Civic too (sorry that's morbid)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's more about how you communicate with your kids than it is about the capability of the vehicle. Kids can kill themselves in a Civic too (sorry that's morbid)
We all agree that it’s great to have a versatile vehicle with the ability to have different power and “gear” ratios for different environments. One environmental scenario I foresee is handing my keys to someone without experience in an 850 HP vehicle to be used in a challenging, on road location ie valet in a parking garage.

Does anyone agree that that would be a useful real world scenario to plan for?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Your car-your choice. I'm very particular about who I let drive my cars. If they own or have owned something similar and I know them well-I toss the keys. The Rivian is not only unusually fast but it's a big car. That's a rare combination and needs to be driven with respect. Otherwise, it will end up wrapped around a pole in LA.

·
Registered
934 Posts
With an OTA SW update, there's no reason you could not enable Valet-Mode / Teen-Mode functionality. In fact, and since you can set up "guest" access for drivers via their paired smartphone, there should just be a default for a Guest driver that will set limits on speed (or even operator hours of the day) based on the profile for the smartphone user that is ENABLED by the owner.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your car-your choice. I'm very particular about who I let drive my cars. If they own or have owned something similar and I know them well-I toss the keys. The Rivian is not only unusually fast but it's a big car. That's a rare combination and needs to be driven with respect. Otherwise, it will end up wrapped around a pole in LA.
With an OTA SW update, there's no reason you could not enable Valet-Mode / Teen-Mode functionality. In fact, and since you can set up "guest" access for drivers via their paired smartphone, there should just be a default for a Guest driver that will set limits on speed (or even operator hours of the day) based on the profile for the smartphone user that is ENABLED by the owner.
This exactly what I was thinking about and hoping could be added in the future as iansriv is 100% on the money with these vehicles being powerful and heavy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Spoke with the person on our First Mile yesterday about this, seems nothing in the works currently, but not that it couldn't be apart of an OTA update. In addition, valet-mode, could lock things like the center console, keep it in "conserve" mode, keep the gear tunnel locked, truck bed, etc... in addition to limiting a first time driver's fun with the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts