Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what the Rivian wall charger adds besides faster charge (which we don't need)?
The website mentions different charging levels, time scheduling etc. - but are those truly available because of the wall charger or are those possible via app/vehicle with the included charge cable and a NEMA 14-50 plug?

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you're asking about the Rivian charger vs. another hardwired wall charger, then the Rivian is cheaper (if you have a pre-March 1 order) and has a better warranty than comparable 48A wall chargers. And it will integrate with the Rivian app and vehicle (integration may be minimal now, but app, charger, and vehicle all get OTA updates), while other chargers use their own app.

If you're asking about whether to get a hardwired charger vs. a plug-in charger with a NEMA 14-50 outlet, that topic has been beaten to death on dozens of forums (including this one) and doesn't really have anything to do with Rivian.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got a ClipperCreek when I got my 2019 Kia Niro EV. No fancy app or connectivity...see those as just another point of failure. The Kia and Rivian apps without anything else do enough for me. My current ClipperCreek does just fine with the R1T. With charging at night or at will, can't see upgrading from 21mi+/hr to 25mi+/hr. Current offerings, made and supported in America (ClipperCreek: America's Most Popular EV Charging Station ):
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. I was able to talk to a good Rivian CS rep and basically determined the wall charger does nothing but increase charge speed. Everything else is controlled through app/vehicle and will work with the portable cord.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts