Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Administrator
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building Vehicle Asphalt Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Every vehicle owner knows that a check engine light is NOT the worst thing that can happen. Weather can turn on a dime. Equipment and tools can break. Parts that should fit don't fit. The struggle is real. All we can do is roll with the punches. Well, that, and maybe laugh a bit at our misfortune.

What is your most memorable vehicle-related fail?

~MR 😊

· Registered
58 Posts
Not Rivian related but...

I was 19 and working a summer job at a condo in Port Aransas, TX. All the units were elevated on stilt pilings with parking underneath.

One of my duties was collecting the garbage bags (through a miniature door on the condo wall that opened into the kitchen cabinet that held the trash can).
I would tie up each bag and drop it one or two floors down into the bed of the trash truck. This was a step side Chevy truck that had a slick sheet of steel in place of the rotted wooden bed.
Obviously, the drop would cause all manner of disruption of the bag contents...broken glass, food, fish guts, shrimp tails...you name it.

The city dump consisted of long trenches dug in the sand on the back side of the island. Since the water table was so high, the trenches were perpetually filled with water and floating trash.
In order to empty the truck at the dump without touching any of the trash, the drill was to lower the tail gate, get up some speed in reverse, push the clutch to the floor, and slam on the brakes so that the whole mess would slide out of the bed of the truck at the edge of the trench where the dozer operator would push it into the water.

One day I did this and...the brake line blew out. This was an early 60's Chevy and there was no "double cylinder brake system"...the pedal went to the floor. Even though I dumped the clutch, the truck barely slowed as it plowed backwards through about 30 feet of trash and down the side of the trench into the water. I was about a foot from getting wet myself. The whole back end up to cab was in the water.

I climbed out the window and over the hood. By the time I got up the side of the trench, the dozer operator had arrived (on the dozer). He was laughing so hard he nearly fell off. We hooked up a cable, pulled the truck out of the water, and I drove it to Bilmore's Gulf Station (with no brakes) where we replaced brake line and washed off the yuck and salt water.

· Registered
8 Posts
Sorry about the problems there. I guess the follow-up is had they actually worked on your vehicle to correct the recall because if they had, its a huge concern that there could still be a major problem with the new specification for the torque setting

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
75 Posts
Sorry about the problems there. I guess the follow-up is had they actually worked on your vehicle to correct the recall because if they had, its a huge concern that there could still be a major problem with the new specification for the torque setting
I don't know the owner of this unfortunate R1T. This was an infamous failure long before the recall; I assume it was one of the instances that caused the recall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts